Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #21  
I love my CK25. It was bought strictly for digging and ground engagement. So weight was very important to me, and I didn't want to have to deal with putting on/taking off weights. Weight to put the most power to the ground, and to gain the greatest stability while carrying a load is paramount for me. Also, I found the bota 7x10 series to have a very narrow width, which concerned me for hills. Anyway, Both companies make good machines. And the Grand L's are very nice. So, let your tasks dictate what you buy. If manueverability is very important, and there is a dealer reasonably close. I suggest you also check out the TYM T273 - manueverablity of a B26 with the capabilities near a CK30 at a few hundred pounds lighter.

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #22  
Somewhere in all this someone said something that disagrees with my personal observation.

I NEED significant weight added to the rear of my little Kubota (L4610HSTC) in order to use the FEL to good advantage. I have more hydraulics than tractor. This is not a complaint. I carry my 1300 lb HD box blade for ballast. I also have maxed out the rear wheel weights. I can't lift and carry a big round bale without a seriously heavy implement on the 3PH. Likewise a full bucket of gravel using the FEL.

However, I can drop the heavy implement and remove the FEL (super easy on my model as it stands upright on its own props) and have a pretty light weight tractor that doesn't recompact the dirt as fast as the roto tiller breaks it up. Likewise to run a subsoiler or middle buster and make progress. Stripped except for cast iron wheel weights and brush hog I can mow without as much collateral damage to the field when it may be a tad soft. (I don't need wheel weights to mow but I am too lazy to take them on and off casually.)

I think for the general case it should be obvious that a strong light tractor can be made heavy (ballasted) as needed whereas a heavy tractor can't be lightened. There is always going to be folks for whom light is never needed or appreciated and folks who use a tractor for a lawn mower who will never weight it down but in general I think the majority of users would profit from having the choice and not be STUCK with a heavy tractor all the time.

As regards the shuttle shift or other "convenient" shifting mechanism other than HST... They certainly are better than pure old fashioned gears but unless you have three hands or don't do much close in FEL work (or are maybe just naturally a slower paced individual and that is perfectly OK) you are kidding yourself that on average a good operator with HST isn't going to do more and do it easier than a shuttle shifter. Not condeming shuttle shift. They work fine for FEL operations, way better than straight old fashioined gears. There is a spectrum of shifting convenience. Shuttle shift is above the middle but a clear step below HST. If you don't really hussle with the HST the shuttle will not hold you back. I have used both. I make a game out of trying to do repetitive tasks efficiently and quickly so as to reduce the boredom. I'd like to see a shuttle shifter try to out perform me on an HST for a few hours. We don't all WORK the machine and that is OK. I have often been asked why I take flailing at dirt so seriously. It is OK if you don't and if you don't, a shuttle shift will not be a meaningful reduction in performance for you.

As to maint... I have worked the heck out of my 'bota and the only tranny maint is fluid top off and infrequent changes.

Please, I am not trying to pick a fight with ANY shuttle shifter with a HEAVY tractor. Any particular combination of circumstances can make nearly any choice of tractor trannys and weights an OK setup. I was, in general, addressing the majority of users not any specific special situation with the exception of the HST doing more in intense usage. I'm not so sure most folks go at FEL work like they were killling snakes the way I do.

Pat

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series
Patrick, thanks for your comments. I have pretty much settled on HST. I have plenty of experience on all three types (my current tractor is gear) and I know that HST will give me the best productivity. The weight issue is not going to be a huge one in me making my final decision. My main usage will be ground engaging and BH work, where weight is generally an advantage. I won't do any finish mowing and probably little field mowing. I am leaning toward the smaller side, whether I go with Kubota or Kiota. My current machine can squeak through a 50" wide opening, which has served me well on several jobs. I really don't want to give that up, so I'm going to look real hard at the CK20 HST and Kubota B7510 DTN HSD. The two machines are close in size and specifications. Each have their advantages and disadvantages, and by "behind the wheel" impression will be a big factor in which machine I ultimately get. Since my dealer carries both, I can compare side by side. For the BH, I really like the Woods X series. It appears to be superior to both the Kubota and Kioti factory backhoes. The dealer I'm working with also carries and installs Woods implements so I should be able to look at and demo them.

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #24  
Jockey, I think either could be a good tractor for you. I am predjudiced for the Kubota due to my experiences and their 100 yr track record but the other could be a terrific tractor for all I know.

Pat

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #25  
I don't know which company would be best but you have to remember that for every Kioti owner on this site there are probably 20 Kubota owners, sooo the responses should and would favor the Kubota.

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #26  
Oleozz said:
I don't know which company would be best but you have to remember that for every Kioti owner on this site there are probably 20 Kubota owners, sooo the responses should and would favor the Kubota.
Yup it truely is amazing. With a 60% marketshare for Kubota and less than a 5% marketshare for Kioti it really is amazing how many Kioti owners frequent this site. They certainly outnumber brands like Mahindra that have far more owners, but far less people posting. Maybe it is just that Kioti owners are smart enough to use a computer :D ;)

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #27  
Bob_Skurka said:
Yup it truely is amazing. With a 60% marketshare for Kubota and less than a 5% marketshare for Kioti it really is amazing how many Kioti owners frequent this site. They certainly outnumber brands like Mahindra that have far more owners, but far less people posting. Maybe it is just that Kioti owners are smart enough to use a computer :D ;)

Well, as someone who found TBN while trying to purchase a Kubota 7510 and who finally bought a Kioti CK20, I'll comment on this. I think Kioti benefits tremendously from the simple association with other better known tractor brands discussed on TBN. If someone says "hey, I like my Kioti and it has x,y,z features that the Kubota didn't have", that may not sell the Kioti but it may induce someone to actually seek out a dealer to have a look. That is what happened in my case. Just getting someone to enter a showroom or see tractors on a lot is a huge step for the "off brands" or second tier tractors. In my case it was coupled with a rather disinterested local Kubota dealer, a decent but complex transaction possibility with a regional Kubota dealer and the happy circumstance of finding a slightly used CK20 on the local Kioti dealer's lot that he was willing to deal on. I doubt I would have jumped at the opportunity had I not been aware (through TBN) of the pros/cons of Kioti vs Kubota. In the end, for me, it was a combo of a better deal (slightly used with 28hrs on the clock saved me $2500), pleasant and low pressure salesman (handed me the keys and pointed a path to a field next to the dealership to try out the CK20) and the realization (after seen the CK20) that the B7510 was not as modern or fully featured as the CK20. I traded Kubota's stellar reputation and #1 status for the better bang for the buck from the upstart Kioti. Thanks to TBN I already knew that while Kioti was way down the list in sales, that they had actually been a contract manufacturer for Kubota which certainly allayed concerns about a "new" manufacturer. Had there had been a Mahindra dealer nearby I might well be driving a red tractor now so there was a certain amount of luck or random chance in where I finally chose to write a check.

So, from a selfish perspective, I think Bob's comment (smart enough to use a computer:) " is partially correct. Access to the computer gives one lots more reassuring information than a simple trip to the dealer or watching whatever your neighbor bought. The other part is that I think Kioti attracts people who are willing to take a bit more risk for a better deal (just a bit...the real risk takers are in the Chinese tractor forum:rolleyes: ). I also think that the individual Kioti dealer counts for a lot. As many have commented on in past posts, Kioti dealers are sometimes small shops that charge full retail and are no great bargain at all compared to Kubota. Others seem to be smart aggressive businessmen who know how to undercut the competition and sell tractors even against a brand like Kubota.

I suspect that Kioti is overrepresented on TBN partially because the same group that uses the computer to help themselves do research on a computer purchase is more likely to want to use the computer to learn more about maintenance etc rather than just assume the local orange or green tractor dealer will take care of it. I betcha that a huge proportion of Kubota and JD owners just rely on their dealer and don't bother frequenting a site like TBN much at all.

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #28  
patrick_g said:
A shortcoming is that you can't have a Kubota Backhoe on this model (cab interferes) and you void the warranty if you mount an aftermarket hoe. I have seen pictures of several tractors broken in half because someone thought it worth the risk to get a hoe. You can install enough subframe reinforcement to hold an aftermarket hoe but I elected to not go there.
Pat

Kubota says you can use their 3-pt hoe (4690) on that machine, but
no one else's 3-pt hoe. I am against using 3-pt hoes, but the 4610
is a great machine that could have a custom subframe built for it and
then use any hoe, without voiding warranties.

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #29  
A couple yrs back I was compareing the B7510 vs the CK20 and as far as the test drive went, there wasn't any appreciable difference between them. The FEL operated similarly, the ground speed was about the same, their ability to climb inclines was the same also. Both HST's whined about the same and the operators station/ergonomics was about the same. Basically both machines seemed to be quite equal as I did nothing in the test drives to determine if weight would be an issue. Course in my case a lower weight is more benefitial.
In the end there was 3 reasons why I ruled out the Kioti CK20.
#1, The FEL hydraulic lines interfered with the pedals. I know that I could have probably tied them back out of the way but this made me question the "fit & finish" and placement of the FEL joy stick ruled out right side egress/degress.

#2, Price, The Kioti dealer (the only one within 75 miles of me btw) just wouldn't deal. I wasn't privy to any list pricing but I'm guessing he was trying to get list. The CK20 was pricing out a good $900 higher than the B7510 and this dealer was a good 50 miles away whereas the closest Kubota dealer was only 10 miles away. I made two stops at this dealer and he wouldn't budge either time.

#3, Presence, There just aren't many Kioti's around here. Matter of fact I've yet to see one working and/or sitting in a field locally. The dealer didn't have a CK20 reference I could talk to either.
$17K - 18K is big $$$'s to me and I wanted that "feel good" before I dropped it on a tractor.

So I went w/Kubota as it worked out better for me.

Ironically, The dealer that used to carry both Kioti and Cub no longer carries Kioti. He's replaced Kioti with Branson.

Determining what tractor brand to go for isn't a cut & dried easy decision. Each situation has differing requirements and determinators.

If one can wrench their own machinery then having a good dealer close by isn't as important as it is for one that wants the dealer to do scheduled their maintenance.

If one has lots of $$$'s then paying list for them isn't that big an issue where as it's THE important issue for those that aren't living in the large green :D

If one needs the machine primarily for ground engagement type work then a heavier weight is an important issue. If one's primary useage is for turf maintenance then a lighter weight is an important issue.
If one plans to do both equally it's important to realize that weight can be added to a lighter machine when needed then removed when not.

Most machines that are in the same size class are so close together in general capabilities that choosing a brand based on just the color and or it's particular look is generally a safe bet too.

There have been posters in this thread thats shown why they went with either machine and all the reasons were valid and good for them.

I recommend to go for the machine that best fits your primary needs and is the best deal.

Good luck

/ Kioti CK vs. Kubota B series #30  
A lot of excellent points in this thread, I AM NOT a devoted Kioti fan yet and will not be until my tractor gives me at least five years of trouble free operation. I bought a Kioti for some of the reasons that Island Tractor mentioned, price and features. I have been and still am a JD admirer, we had one for six years and it performed flawlessly. The reason I am not driving a Deere is basically because of their unwillingness to move just a bit on price and their attitude that JD is king in this area and if I bought a "lesser" model I was a fool. Again, I guess time will answer that question!