Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #1  

GeorgeSB

Tractor
Kioti DK35
My 2003 era Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4.

Resolved!

The shift lever is a T-handle on the floor. Pull up to release, push down to engage. It was completely frozen in the down position. Unmovable.

I read all the forums and tried everything. Nothing worked. I tried raising the front end, driving backwards in S turns, all that. No progress.

So I put PB Blaster penetrating oil on every moving part underneath. Then from below, I tapped the bottom end of the arm attached to the T handle, which is above. I used a heavy hammer. I tapped, tapped, tapped, fairly lightly. It began to move. I re-sprayed everything. It moved fully to the top position. I sprayed again. Then I went above, putting it in and out of 4x4. It is resolved now.

Also, I found it quite difficult to search for any information about this (and a few other issues I've had). So, I'm posting this as a new thread and putting a number of search terms that hopefully can be found by others.

Shift stuck. 4x4 stuck. Kioti Tractor won't shift out of four wheel drive. Won't shift out of 4x4. T handle stuck. Stuck in four wheel drive. Front differential will not release. 4x4 shift is frozen.

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #2  
On my 2004 CK30hst, I've sprayed lube on every linkage there is and due this Spring and Fall. By linkages, I mean the 4x4 lever, brakes which have greaseable pivots and other attached linkage, 3pt lift, rear remote levers, hst pivots going into the trans case, etc. You get the idea. Many times this happens to a year old or so tractor where linkage shafts enter the trans case. They're put together with the new painted parts and no lube. The paint wears off and rust starts. Usually if tight or frozen, some type of penetrating oil to loosen while you try to move it. I use white lithium spray now to keep all the joints lose and been good for 12 years. It's good you're back to full running mode.

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #3  
Also spray the high/low range linkage and shaft into the case.
It can stiffen up if I don't spray it on occasion.

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

A posting such as what you've done is what TBN is all about. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the site.

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #5  
once the linkage is free on 4x4, to assist with disengagement I found from some old posts here turning the steering wheel to left full lock while pulling up on lever works.

I've STILL not found a decent cure for the hi-lo shift.... on my DK35, i can freely shift by getting under the tractor, but not from above with lever
PITA

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4
On my 2004 CK30hst, I've sprayed lube on every linkage there is and due this Spring and Fall. By linkages, I mean the 4x4 lever, brakes which have greaseable pivots and other attached linkage, 3pt lift, rear remote levers, hst pivots going into the trans case, etc. You get the idea. Many times this happens to a year old or so tractor where linkage shafts enter the trans case. They're put together with the new painted parts and no lube. The paint wears off and rust starts. Usually if tight or frozen, some type of penetrating oil to loosen while you try to move it. I use white lithium spray now to keep all the joints lose and been good for 12 years. It's good you're back to full running mode.

Yes, you are right to do the proper maintenance! Thank you!

Sadly, a lot of tractors come to us used and poorly maintained. And a lot of others are too darn busy to do the right thing. (most people are busy doing craps though) I finally have the time and I'm working on everything around the small farm/ranch. Fixing, maintaining. Wow, lots of fun work to do. I can see endless years of pleasurable maintaining. I will take your advice to heart. By lubing every moving part, I will avoid a lot of terror (things just stop working) later down the line. I too use the white lithium spray on quite a bit. Thank you for your wisdom shared.

once the linkage is free on 4x4, to assist with disengagement I found from some old posts here turning the steering wheel to left full lock while pulling up on lever works.

I've STILL not found a decent cure for the hi-lo shift.... on my DK35, i can freely shift by getting under the tractor, but not from above with lever
PITA

I have yet to have the high/low shift problem.
Thanks for the heads-up. Something to look forward to or to avoid.
I wonder if that's from lack of seasonal lube too? Or maybe your clutch isn't engaging fully or something like that? I will look at the design of the linkage. Like I found with the 4x4 shifting, the linkage is a "poor" engineering design. The levers and such from a purely physics perspective are not in your favor for shifting. My speculation is the hi/low is no better a design. How many hours on your coyote? What year is it? Stored outdoors? I will look at it and if I can come up with suggestions, I will.

Notice what DK35vince stated: "Also spray the high/low range linkage and shaft into the case.
It can stiffen up if I don't spray it on occasion." It seems to me it's the entry point into the case that freezes up on you.

Thanks also for the steering wheel suggestion. I didn't need that this time because I just had a frozen linkage from rust and debris or whatever sticks linkages.

G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

A posting such as what you've done is what TBN is all about. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the site.

Thanks for noticing!
Yes, forums are a wonderful thing indeed.

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #9  
PITA
Mine shifts high/low range very easy as long as I occasionally keep the linkage shaft lubed. ( I mean can literally shift it with 1 or 2 fingers as long as I keep it lubed)
My 4WD has always shifted easy. I rarely stop to shift the 4WD. I shift it while moving.

/ Kioti DK 35 would not shift out of 4x4 #10  
Best lube on Planet Earth - Fluid film. Use it liberally on all the items people mentioned.
Link: Fluid Film 11.75 oz. Aerosol

Also, copper based anti-seize on any moving parts that could seize up.