Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #1  

VermontStoner

Tractor
Kioti DK35
Hi folks.

Just recently, I have tried to connect an attachment to the tractor for the first time. Every since I have owned it, I have always had a backhoe on it.

And now I have a couple of challenges. First, I could not get the attachment to slide onto the PTO...and I am thinking it is a subtle alignment issue between the threading of the attachment and the PTO. From what I can see, I believe I have the attachment's ball bearings seated (i.e., disengaged) and don't think this the issue because it won't get onto the PTO even an inch. I have tried to gently rotate the PTO slightly left in very small increments and still no success in making the connection. Frustrated, and thinking it is an alignment issue. I thought I would try and change the position of the PTO shaft.

Having never used this PTO, my PTO dial (unlock, neutral, lock) on the dashboard seems to have no effect. The rear hydraulic selector is in neutral (not A and not B)...because when I try it in A and B...the controller starts whining. Is there some magical combination of things that I need to be doing?

Thank you for the help.

VS

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #2  
I can't answer the Kioti specific questions but one of the PTO positions may allow you to rotate the PTO stub on the tractor by hand (when the tractor engine is off of course).

If so, you can use that when attaching the shaft. Bring the shaft up to the stub and turn the stub with one hand. There's only 6 splines so you may need to turn it a ways. You don't need to retract the lock in order to get the coupler started on the stub. Once it's on, even if only a 1/4", you can then turn or pull back the collar to allow the balls to retract so you can slip the coupler home.

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation
thanks Eric...rotating the PTO is what I would like to try too - but can't seem to get that to occur. Let's see if we hear from a Kioti expert on that issue...and then I think your description of action should work.

-Steve

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #4  
I have tried to connect an implement to the tractor PTO for the first time.

I could not get the attachment to slide onto the PTO. I think it is a subtle alignment issue between the female splines of the implement and the male splines of the tractor PTO.

New PTO powered implements, connecting to new tractor PTO splines are always difficult. Once implement and tractor PTO parts are somewhat worn in, mating becomes easier.

Clean mating parts, lubrication and technique are the keys.

Most here like Eureka Fluid Film as PTO lube. I prefer wax chain lube in an aerosol can.

Grease is too thick.

WD-40 burns off. Shaft goes on "OK" but can be difficult to disconnect when hot.

Connect the implement to the tractor via two Lower Link pins and one Top Link pin. Lift implement hydraulically until implement PTO shaft and tractor PTO spines are perfectly level, one with the other.

Turn tractor engine off, disengage PTO so tractor PTO splines can be turned by hand.

Turn male splines by hand until they align with female shaft indents. Slide shaft onto tractor splines. Retract whatever type of detent you have, bkutton or collar, then push the implement shaft the final two inches onto the tractor PTO stub.

If the PTO shaft and tractor splines are not perfectly level it is almost impossible to slide implement shaft on to PTO splines.

I am 74 years old. I can connect PTO without too much difficulty.

Hi folks...took a bit of time and fussing but wanted to update you. Connection problem was resolved by leveling the implement to the PTO.

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation
Jeff, thank you for that. The implement is a 6ft mower. Your leveling observation may be the solution, it was not level as I was trying it. I will attempt in the next couple of days and reply here.

-Steve

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #6  
   / Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #7  
No PTO Lever on the Dk35 to select between Neutral and 540 or other PTO speeds? The PTO brake is spring applied so not much can be done there to let the PTO spin freely.

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #8  
Havig the top link installed before the shaft is attached to the tractor may create some space issues.
I know, those advices are vice versa. The cat is catching the tail and you get the impression you never win. But sometimes we do.

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #9  
If the pto won't wont turn it might be you need to lower the 3 pt hitch. The DK 35 has a saftey switch that shuts it off when raised too high. Sometimes I need to start and stop mine a few times to line thins up.

/ Kioti DK35 PTO Connection & Operation #10  
For those who are having issues lining up the splines: shut down the tractor. In many cases, the pto brake is hydraulic activated. When the engine isn't running, I can turn the shaft by hand.