Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #1  

prollynotjeff

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
I am am looking to purchase a gear/Shuttle 2009-11model DK40 on Sunday and was curious if anyone had a link to explain how the transmission works I.E. when you need to clutch and what gears/ranges if any are syncro. Thanks ahead of time for the help guys!

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #2  
I have a 2006 DK45S. You need to clutch for EVERY gear change unless you have something called power shuttle (I don't think any DKs did). Mine has High, Mid, and Low ranges with four (1-4) gears in each range and forward/reverse (shuttle) for all. The low range is so low I've never used it. I normally mow in 1-high or 4-mid. I use 4-high only for road travel and 2-high for most moving around in the yard. Most loader and blade work is in 1-mid or 2-mid. In all cases, you don't up-shift through the gears like you do with a car; just put it in the gear you want and let out the clutch from a dead stop. Finally, clutch replacement on a tractor is a big, expen$ive job (you have to split the tractor) so don't burn out your clutch by riding it.

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #3  
I'll add a bit to what ritcheyvs mentioned, You have a forward and reverse lever on the left hand side next to the steering column, You use the clutch to select frwd or rev with whatever gear you have selected.
I do shift through the gears for various things, If I am getting ready to go down the road I will usually start out in high range first gear, When I have some momentum I shift to second then third etc.....When I come to a stop I push the clutch in and apply the brakes till stopped, I don't down shift...

Good luck, The DK is a awesome tractor...

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting
Thanks guys! I have a 2013 DK40 Hydro currently and I love it. I am picking up a 2011 Shuttle tomorrow with around 150hrs on it. I originally wanted a shuttle but got such a great deal on my hydro (had 30hrs on it) that I could not pass it up. Although it appears this shuttle machine has spent the better part of its life outside it seems to be a good deal at 13k. I had looked at the shuttle model in the past and just could not remember if you could change gears on the fly. Thanks again guys!

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #5  
Thanks guys! I have a 2013 DK40 Hydro currently and I love it. I am picking up a 2011 Shuttle tomorrow with around 150hrs on it. I originally wanted a shuttle but got such a great deal on my hydro (had 30hrs on it) that I could not pass it up. Although it appears this shuttle machine has spent the better part of its life outside it seems to be a good deal at 13k. I had looked at the shuttle model in the past and just could not remember if you could change gears on the fly. Thanks again guys!
Yes, the transmission is synchronized. So you can shift through the gears on the fly, forward or reverse.
You do need to stop to change ranges. (low/medium/high range)

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #6  
Does the dk have a dual stage clutch? My ck did, enabled me to only partially step down on the clutch to shift. Much easier on the knees.

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #7  
Does the dk have a dual stage clutch? My ck did, enabled me to only partially step down on the clutch to shift. Much easier on the knees.
No.
The DK's have a single stage clutch.
They have an independent PTO. (a separate wet clutch pack in the transmission, activated by an electric switch on the dash)
As long as the switch is turned on the PTO will run regardless of the clutch peddle being in or out.

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #8  

If I came across a good deal on a DK40 in a shuttle I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. In Hind site I should have got one Shuttle for me and one HST for everyone else to use when I got mine. Funny in todays world with so many folks wanting HST and all the gadgets that some of us still like to shift gears and don't mind using a clutch.

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #9  
Maybe it's old fashion but I prefer a manual transmission, Iv'e had a manual trans of some sort all my life. The big catch about hst is the constant whining coming from the unit.

/ Kioti DK40 Shuttle/Gear Shifting #10