Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve?

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #1  

justman777

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510 Cab
I installed a Kioti OEM third-function kit almost a year ago when I bought my tractor. Intent was to get a grapple, but life happened and had to wait. I finally got a grapple, and had the opportunity to try it out the other day on moving some brush piles into the fire. No...not the best place to learn how to use it, but you do what you gotta do. Anyway, I realized very quickly that opening/closing the grapple did a few things. First, if you were moving, it slowed the tractor down a bit. Second, I lost the curl/dump function of the loader....which is kinda important when you want to open the grapple and dump stuff at the same time, especially if you're dumping in a fire.

Does everyone else have a similar experience with their Kioti brand third-function? I triple checked the installation instructions, and I have everything connected correctly. If it were a third function, shouldn't I be able to use the dump/curl or full loader function AND open and close the grapple at the same time?

Thanks!

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #2  
I don't have the Kioti OEM kit. Hopefully someone that does will offer more information.

When you say the tractor slows do you mean ground speed or RPM?

Is your NX HST or geared?

Electric over hydraulic valves do not allow for feathering. I don't think you will be able to use both functions at the same time. I used mechanical valve for this reason. Although I don't use both at the same time often, I like the control I have opening or closing the lid.

Can you raise and curl at the same time with your joystick fully deflected? Most tractor do not have enough hydraulic flow to handle two functions at same time without feathering.

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #3  
I have the Kioti 3rd function kit installed by the dealer at purchase. It is a solenoid valve (diverter) and I was told that the kit is made by W. R. Long.

On a related topic, it seems to me that the tilt / curl are very slow compared to my Mahindra and apparently there is no "fast dump" position on the joystick (uses regeneration cylinder operation).

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #4  
A true third function will have one of two control types. It will use an additional lever that singly controls the third function. Or it will have two buttons on the joystick that electronically control the third function, one opens, one closes.

Diverter valve third function will have one button most likely on the joystick. Although I've saw them foot activated. "Push" the button and hold it, curl function is diverted to third function. Release button, curl function operates normally and no third function operation exists.

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #5  
Some pictures of your installation and switch will help us determine what you have.

Do you have to move your joystick left/right to open/close the grapple? Or is it just a switch that controls it.

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #6  
Diverter valve third function will have one button most likely on the joystick. Although I've saw them foot activated. "Push" the button and hold it, curl function is diverted to third function. Release button, curl function operates normally and no third function operation exists.

That is how my NH Workmaster 75 functions. It is a dealer installed option. The single button is on the front of the joystick. The valve is mounted on the cross brace at the front end of the loader. You either curl the bucket or open/close the grapple. It is impossible to do both at the same time.

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve?
Some pictures of your installation and switch will help us determine what you have.

Do you have to move your joystick left/right to open/close the grapple? Or is it just a switch that controls it.

The Kioti OEM has a loader controller replacement stick that has two buttons. One button opens the grapple and the other button closes it.

I don't have the Kioti OEM kit. Hopefully someone that does will offer more information.

When you say the tractor slows do you mean ground speed or RPM?

-- Both. It doesn't slow down substantially, but it does slow down a little bit and the RPM drops, like it's under load.

Is your NX HST or geared?

-- HST

Electric over hydraulic valves do not allow for feathering. I don't think you will be able to use both functions at the same time. I used mechanical valve for this reason. Although I don't use both at the same time often, I like the control I have opening or closing the lid.

Can you raise and curl at the same time with your joystick fully deflected? Most tractor do not have enough hydraulic flow to handle two functions at same time without feathering.

-- I can raise and lower at the same time while opening and closing the grapple, but not curl or dump.

** I made some inputs in-line with the text. :)

I have the Kioti 3rd function kit installed by the dealer at purchase. It is a solenoid valve (diverter) and I was told that the kit is made by W. R. Long.

On a related topic, it seems to me that the tilt / curl are very slow compared to my Mahindra and apparently there is no "fast dump" position on the joystick (uses regeneration cylinder operation).

I haven't noticed a slow/curl function on my NX....unless I don't have the RPMs up. However, I'm comparing it to the JD 2305 I used to have, and it had very slow hydraulics. It'd get the job done, but it was going to take a bit.

/ Kioti Third Function - true third function, or just a diverter valve? #10  
I haven't noticed a slow/curl function on my NX....unless I don't have the RPMs up. However, I'm comparing it to the JD 2305 I used to have, and it had very slow hydraulics. It'd get the job done, but it was going to take a bit.

justman777: usually when I am doing light grapple work, I am running at 1500 - 1800 rpm. Do you consider this low speed for curl / dump?

I guess that I should time it relative to the specs to see if it out of line with expected, duh.