Kit Homes...good or bad idea

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea
I'd check insurance rates before making a final decision. In some areas, kit homes in the eyes of insurance companies, are similar to mobile homes and you may not like the annual premium.

Never gave that much consideration...One more thing to add to my budget worksheet.

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #12  
We bought Morton building barn and turned it into a house. Total cost was about $85/sqft. The building with all three pane Pella windows, all perimeter doors etc cost about $35/sqft. After completing it inside and most of the basic landscaping outside, including 800 ft driveway and small pond we ended up paying about $90/sqft. We put in estimated 60 to 80K of our own work on top of it. Needles to say we have all wood or tile floors, granite counter tops, top of the line appliances, three marble bathrooms etc. We heat the house with geothermal heating for about $100 at the coldest month. The House is about 3800 sqft including 1400 sqft of heated garage.
The biggest issue was financing due to lack of comparable houses in area around. We could finance about half only. We ended up spending all our cash on hand for the land and construction. Later on I talked to a guy who also lives in Morton and got financing from a bank simply by not mentioning word barn but calling it a stick house built by Morton.
Our house was built in 2005.
Morton Buildings - Pole Barns, Horse Barns, Steel Buildings, Metal Buildings, Storage Buildings, Farm Buildings

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #13  
I ended up going with a custom built timber frame (post and beam) house. For $45k I got the timber frame built and erected and all the foam panels (OSB on the outside and sheetrock on the inside). The company that made the foam panels cut wire chases into the panels as well as a wood nailer for baseboards for each floor.

I installed the panels. I bought an adapter for a circular saw, less than $200, that looks like a chainsaw for cutting the panels and a hot knife for removing the foam. Where the doors and windows go a hole is cut then you remove foam so a 2x6 can get set in between the OSB and Sheetrock for a nailer. The panels are held on with either those long landscaping nails or screws (nails are easy).