KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER?????

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #11  
What about digging a systern for water storage.
Not to be a preacher but I would hold back on the chlorine. Do some reading on it, its nasty stuff
Good luck in whatever.

Remember catch that rainwater its free:D

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #12  
IMAG0039.JPGIMAG0040.JPG

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #13  
View attachment 296869View attachment 296870
Boeing,
Here's a couple pics of the cabin. One guy could build it alone but it's easier with two. Basically it was done by building the floor frame, setting the corner and center logs in place and tieing them together with a top 2x6 plate, then filling in between with more logs. We tacked each log in place then ran the chainsaw down between them to fit them together, moved them tight together and nailed them in place. After about a year we chinked most of it with oakum and portland cement with small nails to help hold cement in place. Most of the chinking has fallen out for lack of maintenance and the cabin being moved at least 4 or 5 times. Flexible caulking would be better. It is on blocks although with the snow, doesn't look it. We don't have termite problems here but I do know about termites as we built a fence with on site pine posts in Fla. and the next year it was down. You should be able to spray the bottoms with copper tox or zin tox and put termite caps on the blocks.
If it looks of interest, PM me and I'll send more photos and detailed description.
Smiley

Don't know how I managed to get those photo's in without description and I can't seem to delete it???

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER?????
Thanks for the photos, Smiley. It looks great....rustic but that's the idea. What size is it? I'd like to make it large enough for a mini-kitchen, double bed, shower stall, sink, portipotti and a woodstove. You used POPLAR.....it that better than white pine? I have SOME large poplars and hundreds of 8" pines.
About the water.....I did and am considering sinking a concrete tank and catching rain gutter water off my building. That would solve the freeze issue. I would still have alge, green scuz fears and perhaps a "hot tub" chlorine tab thing might be good. You can filter most of the taste out. Our "burb" water has been chlorinated all my life .....ain't affected me none....nun....nuune....pnun...... :eek:

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #15  
A friend had a 12 x 24 Amish built cabin trucked in and has a bedroom with bunks in the back, small toilet/shower and the rest a combination kitchen/living room, about all the stuff you mentioned.
Our cabin is only about 8 x 12 if I remember correctly as it was just a playhouse for my son, but can be made any size within reason, just keep adding logs. In a much larger size, I'd think about diagonal bracing for the walls and stringers across the rafters or trusses. Here's some pics of the pole type rafters and ridgepole, the plate where the support log for the ridgepole is notched around plate and the sill board where the logs sit on it and are fastened to the floor framing. Poplar has always been considered an inferior wood but we have a lot of it and use it for everything (had our own small mill) from framing lumber to finished boards. If not stacked and dried properly, boards will twist all over the place. These logs were cut and put up within days without a lot of twisting. It rots quickly if not kept dry but these in the photos are more than 40 years old. We built wide overhangs to be sure everything stayed dry. I learned from an old time carpenter neighbor that poplar was a preferred wood for dance hall floor joists. It is very springy and a good square dance could really get it hopping. Pine is generally better wood for building except for that southern loblolly or sand pine that we had in Fla. which I don't think is even good for pulp.
As for water, we did use a new septic tank for a water cistern in Fla to store rainwater until we got our well drilled.
IMAG0044.JPGIMAG0041.JPGIMAG0043.JPG

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #16  
Thanks for the photos, Smiley. It looks great....rustic but that's the idea. What size is it? I'd like to make it large enough for a mini-kitchen, double bed, shower stall, sink, portipotti and a woodstove. You used POPLAR.....it that better than white pine? I have SOME large poplars and hundreds of 8" pines.
About the water.....I did and am considering sinking a concrete tank and catching rain gutter water off my building. That would solve the freeze issue. I would still have alge, green scuz fears and perhaps a "hot tub" chlorine tab thing might be good. You can filter most of the taste out. Our "burb" water has been chlorinated all my life .....ain't affected me none....nun....nuune....pnun...... :eek:

Shouldn't have to worry about alge if you have a concrete tank under ground as there is no sunlight for it to grow.
Also copper pipes are good to use if you are worried about alge.

If you can find an old stainless steel milk container (make sure it hasn't been used for spraying herb/pestisides)from a dairy it may be a cheaper option. Just a thought
Good luck.

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER?????
I'm getting some good ideas here, guys, thanks. I won't cut those pines until I'm ready to split and nail them....I do like the cross board/brace idea to keep them straight.
A new septic tank had been suggested (buried). Currently I'm using 300 gallon plastic "caged" containers that are all around. Mine had shipped "car wash soap" in a previous life. They DO allow sunlight and require the chlorine....also certainly suseptable to freezes, I've been hauling them 10 miles to a friends house and filling from his well. The only good part is that when the tanks were sitting on the trailer I had gravity feed. I have added solar panels and have a 12V pump now. I priced a well.....all nearby are 900' deep, we're talking over $20,000...FOR A WELL!!!
Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #18  
I'm getting some good ideas here, guys, thanks. I won't cut those pines until I'm ready to split and nail them....I do like the cross board/brace idea to keep them straight. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:
You can use whole log without splitting if you want the same effect inside. It would make diagonal bracing harder though.

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #19  
Smiley, Get a 28 to 32 foot travel trailer. Build a roof over and extend the front part out about 12 feet. Depending on where the doors are, you can close in about 20 foot of the rear (in front) for a spare bedroom, closet and small bathroom for guests. The rest you could screen in for a nice bug free area.

/ KIT, TREES on PROPERTY or CAMPER????? #20  
When I am faced with arranging accommodation for my wife and/or daughters, I have learned in 28 years that the more it is like home AND the LESS like a tent the better. Forget the idea of an outhouse and a portable toilet for more than an afternoon on the boat is a STRETCH. So if it were me in your shoes, a travel trailer with slide outs and a deck/screen porch would be the best option. Plus when the women folks aren't along for the hunting or food plot work why should you have to rough it LOL!