Tiller KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #21  
Manofaltes:

Welcome to TBN :D! From your profile it appears that you have a JD4400 with 35/30 HP. You could handle a 6' tiller with your rig. It is recommended that you get a tiller that is wider than your wheel width. There are a lot of competitive tillers in the marketplace, but I will admit that the KK II gear driven tiller is one quality TSC product! TSC is very conservative with their stated specifications regarding their tillers IMHO. Jay

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #22  
I stole a 2 quart pyrex jug from the kitchen this morning and drained the end gear case into it. Probably 3 or 4 ounces of the clear slime, which I'm assuming is 000 grease. The way it was distributed suggested to me that it had been squirted around when the gear case was in production and laying flat, it has obviously stood vertical for some time. Anyway, I just wanted to check in there, so I put it all back together and left the jug in a black plastic garbage bag on a black-top driveway in bright sunlight for a couple of hours while I did other things, including shopping for GL-5 EP 85W/145.
It DOES pour (glaciers flow), but I scooped most of it into the funnel with a plastic knife. Then I measured the 60 oz of gear oil and used that to rinse the grease in (sort of). Flow from the level plug was just about when expected.
The top gear box took 40 oz and looked about 3/4 full (subjective, peeking into a small dark hole in bright sunlight).
I finally spread the lift arm openings on the quick hitch, so now the tractor lift arm ball ends actually DO go in. Then I spread the hitch arms a bit with my handy dandy air/hydraulic 20 ton jack. I still need to futz with the quick hitch top hook, errr... sometime.

Yeah, its hefty - but the paint job is UGLY ! Like "With a 4 inch brush" ugly.
Drips, glops and runs everywhere - TOO MUCH PAINT !

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #23  
Great post! You will find many use's for the tiller , Oh , and it is kinda fun to run also , just so you will know, the slip clutch made a world of difference with my tiller and I do appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #24  
I picked up the 48" unit last week after making a trip to the nearest TSC (I'm in Canada) and it works great. I found that I didn't put in nearly as much gear oil as the guy at TSC said to use (2 gallons!). I used roughly 3/4 of a gallon.

I'm glad I got the heavy tiller, it sure makes quick work of sod with very minimal jumping around.

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #25  
Blk88GT said:
I picked up the 48" unit last week after making a trip to the nearest TSC (I'm in Canada) and it works great. I found that I didn't put in nearly as much gear oil as the guy at TSC said to use (2 gallons!). I used roughly 3/4 of a gallon.

I'm glad I got the heavy tiller, it sure makes quick work of sod with very minimal jumping around.

Is that 3/4 of a REAL gallon, or 3/4 of a mini gallon ?
(-:
60/128 or 60/160 ?

How much it takes probably depends on how vertical it is as well as how much of the 000 grease was already in there. Browsing the parts breakdown shows that they use the same gear boxes for the 48, 60 and 72 inch models.

I was a bit surprised at how easily and quickly mine tore up sod, for some reason I had expected rear rotation, but (in machine shop terms) it is a climb miller and that helps push the tractor along. I think the way the tines are staggered helps make it smooth, each one feeds into the ground at a slightly different time.

DANG, but I have a dust cloud around this place now.
No rain for weeks and 3 minutes of tilling, thin brown dust everywhere (-:

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #26  
I too am surprised how easily it goes through sod. The 62" Sovema I used to use behind a friend's 3600 used to bounce all over the place compared to this thing. I'm going to try and drop the depth to max and see how it acts, but so far I'm impressed.

And that's a real gallon, jerk! :)

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived #27  
Blk88GT said:
I too am surprised how easily it goes through sod. The 62" Sovema I used to use behind a friend's 3600 used to bounce all over the place compared to this thing. I'm going to try and drop the depth to max and see how it acts, but so far I'm impressed.

And that's a real gallon, jerk! :)

I support REAL gallons.
I used to support real pints too, but that was then and there, this is here and now.

/ KK II Gear driven 48" tiller has arrived
Yup, the staggering if the tines is smart idea, then, the overall weight of the unit must cut down on any hopping.

Ever seen a Hippo "hop" ??

So, chalk up another plus for a heavy tiller!