KK Tiller for CT235

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #11  
I have a KK 60" tiller and have the stock shaft on it, or at least I think so. The guy who bought it new used it on a full sized tractor and would have no reason to have cut it.

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #12  
I've put about 8 hours on my 72" KK tiller, and could not be happier. I tilled one area that had nearly gravel consistency, with up to two inch rocks, and had no problems. I also tilled an area with larger rocks, as well as some chunks of cinder blocks - the slip clutch never engaged, and the tiller just skipped over the bigger stuff. It's a great unit, I think you'll be very pleased.

After tilling about 4-5 acres with mine, I can tell you that wider is better! I had to go about 1 mph, due to silage from last years crops, so it takes a lot of time to cover an acre.

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #13  
I agree with IslandTractor here that the tiller will climb over big rocks. I have the 6 foot unit and it is a great machine. I have pulled up some big rocks too. I even found some stray 1/2" re bar:) and wound it up in the tines. No damage though it was a pain to get out.

/ KK Tiller for CT235
You guys think I should use the plow to break ground first and then use the tiller or will a few passes with the tiller alone do the trick? Just planning to put in a few food plots for deer in the hay fields that I have. Thinking if I use the brush hog first then spray roundup and come back 10 days later and use the tiller?? What do you guys think.

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #15  
Depends a bit on the current condition of the soil. If it is an old field I would just till. Slowly at first then repeat. If it was former woods or there are significant roots or thick sod then plowing might be best for the initial pass.

I used just a tiller on some abandoned fields that had been fallow for twenty years and overgrown with grape vines and blueberrys. I had a bit of a problem with the grape vine roots wrapping around the tiller because I tried to do it in the springtime when the soil was moist. Opening up adjacent areas in the summer and fall were no problem as the tiller just cut the roots instead of wrapping them up. Overall using the tiller alone was just fine in my setting.

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #16  
Based on my experience, it will require about the same amount of seat time either way. It will probably take at least two passes at 1-1.5mph with the tiller. If you plow first, assuming you have at least a two-bottom, you will make the tilling a one pass, slightly quicker endeavor. The end product will be better if you plow first.

/ KK Tiller for CT235
Thanks. I am going to try with the tiller alone at first see how it goes. They are just old hay fields that have not been worked in at least 10 years so don't think I will be dealing with big roots etc. Going to order the tiller end of this month and probably try sometime in May so I we'll see how it goes. Very excited to try it out based on the feedback from all you guys. Thanks again!:D

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #18  
I tilled up a field that hadn't been plowed for at least 15 years and it did a great job. If I were going to plant a garden it would take a couple of passes but for a deer feed plot 1 pass should do fine. If it were hard pan or clay it may need to be sub soiled first though.

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #19  
I can get a used KK 6 foot tiller with 15 hours on it for around $1400. What do they go for and is it worth it?

Thanks,
Rob

/ KK Tiller for CT235 #20  
Rob-D said:
I can get a used KK 6 foot tiller with 15 hours on it for around $1400. What do they go for and is it worth it?

Thanks,
Rob

I recall paying about $1700 plus change about two years ago for the KK 6ft tiller.