Tiller KK tiller torture test.

/ KK tiller torture test. #1  

Indydirtfarmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2440/4440/4020/4955
Had to share this with everyone. (And yes, I SHOULD have taken pictures.)

We were finishing up a new lawn install this afternoon. One area was to be tilled a few inches deep to "mix" the soil. We were down to that point, then seed and straw the area, and go home!

I arrive on the jobsite just in time to fire up the 2440 Deere and start tilling. I had the 72" King Kutter tiller hanging on the back. It's FUN TIME!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, the fun ended real quick. The builder apparently decided to bury some trash in the yard. About 200' of 00 guage elecric wire, and a 10' long piece of gas pipe........ /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

First the wire...

It wrapped up around the tines in a flash. Almost instantly, the slip clutch started smoking. Shut 'er down and get the wire cutters..... We spent 2 hours chopping hacking, snipping and cursing. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

OK... back to work.

About 30 seconds into the fun....BBBBBAAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGGGG /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3/4" gas pipe doesn't cut with wire pliers..... It was wrapped tight around the tines. In fact, it made 5 complete wraps. This little project was a torch job back at the shop. SO...I haul the tractor back home, fire up the torch, cut up the latest fiasco, then return to the scene of the crime. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just as I got the tractor unloaded, the sky opened up and it flat poured down for about 45 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Moral of the story?????

Not a good day by any stretch, but it re-enforces my opinion that one of the least respected tillers on the market can take that sort of abuse, and still keep on keepin' on.

/ KK tiller torture test. #2  
Don't you love people that bury old metal objects in the ground!

The previous owner on my property had a bunch of trees moved with a tree spade and they sunk T-posts deep down into the ground with only a few inches above the surface to anchor the trees with. Know I get to find T-posts every so often with my mower or my tiller. I hit one the other day and was amazed that it didn't break something on my tiller (muratori).

The T-Posts are so deep in the ground that I haven't found an easy way to get them out. I have to remember where they are before doing any more tilling. I just whack them down deeper with a sledge hammer in order to avoid hitting them with the mower.

/ KK tiller torture test. #3  
Some jobs just seem to go that way. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I managed to find some old fence wire with my 4’ KK tiller. It took me hours to get everything untangled.

I also agree that if you can look past the paint job, the KK tillers as well as their rotary mowers are a good value for the money.

MarkV

/ KK tiller torture test.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't you love people that bury old metal objects in the ground? )</font>

It's almost a way of life around new home construction.....

Also, the home where I now live was originally my in-laws place. My father-in-law was a pack-rat/Volkswagon collector. Every time I go to dig a hole for anything, I "discover" metal.... Dug down 3" to set a post for a swing by the garden a few years back. One hole hit a hubcap at the 30" mark. Next hole hit a VW cylinder "jug" at 36" deep.

/ KK tiller torture test. #5  
Thats how I started my concrete garden !!
I was tilling an area for my garden, and discovered riches beyond my wildest dreams - about 8 tons of concrete!!
Made my tiller jump for joy, but thankfully nothing broke
click here for picture

Ducati

Edited inline pic to link - hazmat

/ KK tiller torture test. #7  
I worked on a telephone line construction crew in college and always wondered why we had to dig everything up and pull out the old pole stumps whenever we were removing lines. I always wanted to cut everything off at ground level and move on (lazy kid). Fortunately the crew chief was wise and meticulous, but I did hate manually jacking those pole stumps out of the ground when we couldn't get the boom truck over to them. Even worse was an anchor rod that would not screw out. We'd have to dig down at least three or four feet before he'd let us cut it off.

Now I know why.

/ KK tiller torture test. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just as I got the tractor unloaded, the sky opened up and it flat poured down for about 45 minutes
)</font>

sounds like a lot of work and not much accomplished, some days are like that. about that rain you had, i hope it gets to us today, but it don't look like it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ KK tiller torture test. #9  
I never had quite that much problem with a tiller, fortunately, but I have spent some time cutting barbed wire and baling wire out of it, and hay twine. Once a neighbor bought a place that had been vacant for a matter of years and wanted me to mow around it, then till around the house. When I started tilling, I found a brick sidewalk under about 1" of dirt, so I tilled up several bricks, didn't find any damage to the tiller.

/ KK tiller torture test. #10  
Indy, I always thought they looked fairly stout! And since a local implement guy sells them,when the time is right thats probably what I'll end up with... Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif