Kmart--Another one bites the dust?

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #1  

StoneHeartFarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650/AC B210
Anybody heard any more about Kmart? On the news they just said the President has resigned and the stock is still falling. A few days ago the radio reported Kmart had a lousy Christmas season and was in talks with lenders.

With Quality failed, losing Kmart too would be a hard economic blow for a lot of communities.

SHF

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #2  
It does look good all for KMart,and by Monday noon it should be final on the out come.Maybe they can regroup like Sears did a number of years ago..cut some of the fat off at the top,or maybe like Harley Davison.Even in our area KMart has become one of the first stop shopping stores,and if went out of business would hurt many different age groups incomes.

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #3  
Yeah, my dad bought stock a while back saw it triple, ma said sell but he didnt listen. Now he is gone and she sold half of it last week. She is worried but doesn't have that much in it. Kmart HQ is about an hour from home and they opened a store where I grew up? in 1983 so I am sorta partial to them.

Never heard of target until 10 yrs ago and walmart until 5 yrs ago. I do see a difference in target/walmart with more selection though.

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #4  
The Rosey O'donnel thing did not help them. Many NRA types quit shopping there and so have a lot of the Conservative types because of the values promoted by Rosey as K-marts spokesman (woman).
Oh well, another lesson for the bean counters to learn--all consumers are not niave twits. Really, both K-mart, Wally World and other discount stores like these have done more to ruin small town America and the small shop owner than any other single factor. I will not miss them, too do loo.
J

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #5  
Yep, looks like Kmart is in deep trouble, and since their warehouse/distribution center (not to mention the supercenter store) is one of the major employers in our county seat, it doesn't look good. Since that supercenter is also the nearest supermarket to us (and since they have the self checkout so it's faster), we've been using them regularly; hate to loose them.

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #6  
From the financial news it looks like they are going to declare bankruptcy and try a regroup.

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #7  
What's a self checkout? That's a new one on me.

Jeff

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #8  
Next!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Why are so many companies quiting? Is is just another way for them to get some debt and taxes relieved. Must be something I just don't get.... /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Terry

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #9  
Jeff, Kmart is the only self checkout I know of so far. You can wait on a cashier if you want, but I don't. They have 4 checkout stations where you just scan and bag everything yourself, then either put cash in the machine or slide your credit card through, etc. There's a computer monitor that works by touch on the screen, and of course, they have one cashier nearby to help folks that are new to the system, don't know how to weigh and enter produce and things like that. It's completely self service, quick, and easy, and very rarely have to wait in line. A lot of folks are still reluctant to use it, but I think it's great.

/ Kmart--Another one bites the dust? #10  
Scan your stuff and bag it,it is pretty neat. If you set something down that was not scanned(where the purchases are bagged)it will tell you to" remove the item that has not been purchased"you can pay cash or card without assistance,but a check you have to get a clerk to approve.