Knock, knock...

/ Knock, knock... #11  
I have a couple of those in-line heaters in different sizes. Perhaps I should get on the stick and install one...huh???

Same here, I have one in the box, I need to get another lower hose so if I screw up the first one I have a spare. I hate cutting up a good hose, but I know I've got to do it to install.

Joel

/ Knock, knock... #12  
Same here, I have one in the box, I need to get another lower hose so if I screw up the first one I have a spare. I hate cutting up a good hose, but I know I've got to do it to install.

Joel

Same here! Let's make a vow to get them in by summer!

/ Knock, knock... #13  
I had one installed in my tractor before it was delivered... in the year, and 80hrs, I have had it.. I have never seen the need to plug it in. Last winter I drug an extension cord to my tractor hut so I could use it. This year I didn't even bother to do that. So far.. I have not had any issues starting even in sub-zero temps.
Now that I have said that out loud... and a snow storm is due Wed...

/ Knock, knock... #14  
I had one installed in my tractor before it was delivered... in the year, and 80hrs, I have had it.. I have never seen the need to plug it in. Last winter I drug an extension cord to my tractor hut so I could use it. This year I didn't even bother to do that. So far.. I have not had any issues starting even in sub-zero temps.
Now that I have said that out loud... and a snow storm is due Wed...

LOL! That's usually the case....install one and never need to use it! I believe you have tractor owners in the entire state of Maine covered.

I haven't had any problems starting the DK, even down to -20, but it's that infernal knocking that drives me a little nutty. I noticed yesterday when I started her up @35 degrees, there was noticeably less knocking - only a few seconds worth. Therefore, the issue may be with temperature.

/ Knock, knock... #15  
I run Power Service Cetane boost, gray bottle, in both my car and tractor. I believe this helps some with the knock knock in the cold.

/ Knock, knock... #16  
I run Power Service Cetane boost, gray bottle, in both my car and tractor. I believe this helps some with the knock knock in the cold.

I'm going shopping today, so I'll get some when I'm in town and give it a whirl. Thanks Jim.

/ Knock, knock...
It's been a while since I checked this site, so I'll fill you in on my situation with my "Knock knock"...

After removing initially removing the injectors, having them cleaned and rebuilt at a local diesel machine shop and replacing them, the problem came back rather quickly, as posted last year.

I searched high and low for a mechanic to take a look, and was surprised that all of the local tractor shops only worked on "their" brands, the auto garages didn't want to look either. (I wonder if that has changed due the current state of the economy?) Finally, I was directed to a mechanic that works for a construction equipment rental store. I thought that he must be pretty good, since all of their rental equipment is older than God, and still works fine.

His first thought was injectors also, and removed them, took them back to the same machine shop. They found that one hadn't been re-assembled correctly, so they fixed it. I ended up paying much more than I should have, but have a fine running tractor again.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can't always trust the "professional".

/ Knock, knock... #18  
Great ending, if nothing else helps to reinforce the motor is sound.

Deputy, I think you'll find the knocking is temp. related, same for me, when cold, knock, when warm outside no knock. I bet the coolant heater will make a big difference.

I'll try to get mine installed next weekend, if nothing else looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes.

Joel

/ Knock, knock... #19  
I haven't had any problems starting the DK, even down to -20, but it's that infernal knocking that drives me a little nutty. I noticed yesterday when I started her up @35 degrees, there was noticeably less knocking - only a few seconds worth. Therefore, the issue may be with temperature.
My DK 35 has always been the same way.
Starts right up even at 0 degree temperatures. But the motor is noisy/rattles when I first start it cold. Clears right up once it warms up a bit..

/ Knock, knock... #20  
My DK 35 has always been the same way.
Starts right up even at 0 degree temperatures. But the motor is noisy/rattles when I first start it cold. Clears right up once it warms up a bit..

My 55 does the same, but Dads 65 is rattlin sob, enough so ya have to rev it up to keep the rattle away. Supposedly nothins wrong with it?