Loader Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #1  

Kingston61

Tractor
2013 Kioti DK45SE
Hey folks - I have a 2013 DK45SE that I have had for about a year. I really like it and it is perfect for my use. BUT..........i have an issue I hope someone has a suggestion or fix so I don't have to "reinvent the wheel (or in this case a part)"

I am frequently hitting the loader's hydraulic connections under the tractor with debris and knocking the connections off. That is a pain because typically the loader is under pressure when it happens so you have to release the pressure before re-attaching and that is a messy process unless you enjoy hydraulic fluid showers.

It needs a "skid plate"/cover to protect the connections. My questions are - others having this issue, does anyone know of a cover that can be purchased or has had one made and can share pictures, plans,materials, etc.?

Thanks'
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_5859.JPG
    IMG_5859.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 162
   / Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #2  
First, Welcome to TBN! :D

Think many of us DK owners have been and done that. Murph1 had a plate made, and had an extra which he sent me. I tried to fit it but no joy.
In the meantime I'd recommend you put colored cable ties to match up your male to female ends under there for now. I see some remnants of the colored collars from the factory but the two outside hoses seem to be missing them.
I seem to have managed to not disconnect them in recent times- maybe set in my mind the Achilles heel of our DK series tractors, and I just steer clear of things that might cause issues.
One idea would be to take a clear trash can liner and twist it up until it is like a long snake and then wrap it around the area where the QDs are being forced apart by errant brush. This wrapped tight plastic does a good job of making a removable shield to keep branches etc, from being able to hit the edge of the female QD, which then disconnects the hose from the valve body. If you cable tie the ends to the QDs, you can then, if access is needed, cut the cable tie, disconnect the QDs as needed, and rinse/repeat as you reinstall the loader assembly. I used this method to tighten up the additional hoses I had run through the valve body area for my loader torque tube install of QDs for my grapple and or snowplow, etc.
It's much easier than trying to fit a solid bracket that is near impossible to design due to all the hoses, fittings, lack of space, etc. inherent to the: 'where's the engineer who designed this cluster- ...k! @%&
If only I could find his neck to grab him by it to shake some sense into him/her...
Good luck Mr. Phelps, in your mission, if you decide to follow through.....

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #3  
I echo the Machine's welcome to the forum.

I cannot help with advice on a skid plate, but it does sound like that is something that might well protect you from doing some other serious damage to your tractor. There have been some really good threads on skid plates - they do get quite involved! I haven't noticed anyone talking about commercially available (ready made) skid plates. If there are, I'll bet soon someone will chime in with advice.

If the (vast) majority of your "hose disconnect" incidents happen while going forward, you might consider "swapping" the fittings - put the female quick disconnect to the front, & the male to the rear. That will open you up to 'disconnects' while backing, but that is probably a much less percentage of your travel through brush. (I'm guessing)

Try searching the forum for "skid plates".

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #4  
I echo the Machine's welcome to the forum.

I cannot help with advice on a skid plate, but it does sound like that is something that might well protect you from doing some other serious damage to your tractor. There have been some really good threads on skid plates - they do get quite involved! I haven't noticed anyone talking about commercially available (ready made) skid plates. If there are, I'll bet soon someone will chime in with advice.

If the (vast) majority of your "hose disconnect" incidents happen while going forward, you might consider "swapping" the fittings - put the female quick disconnect to the front, & the male to the rear. That will open you up to 'disconnects' while backing, but that is probably a much less percentage of your travel through brush. (I'm guessing)

Try searching the forum for "skid plates".

That is a good idea.

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #5  
I'll add that these type of tractors are not skidders, they are small utility tractors. though I use my dkse's in a skidder fashion sometimes too. I do my best to keep clear of brush and debris under the belly. If we require a guard on the quick connects, then we require a guard over a number of other components underneath. Think of all the wire harnesses under the deck plate, and how soft those wires are.
I don't mean to tell anyone how to use their tractor. If you know you are rough on equipment and you accept the extras, its all well and good.

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #6  
Just thinking here, but you could cut short sections of EMT or PVC conduit slightly longer than the distance from the valve to the quick coupler collar. Then disconnect the hoses, slide the "pipe" over the hose, reconnect, and then slide the pipe back over the female coupler. That would keep branches, etc, from pushing the collar back.

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #7  
"you could cut short sections of EMT or PVC conduit slightly longer than the distance from the valve to the quick coupler collar."
Now there is a good idea. The PVC would push up against the valve body and it wouldn't have to be to long, maybe 6"
This has me thinking of a fix for another problem (but similiar) when I brush hog my neighbors field I usually do it without the FEL and the rubber covers get pulled off and broke by the thick briars he has in the field. I am now thinking of making a cover that has 4 PVC tubes as part of it that cover the female ends when disconnected. Maybe mounting the PVC tubes on a flat plate that then is held over the disconnects.........Hmmmmmmm

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #8  
I would be moving the QC up higher and where you can reach them.

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE
First - WOW - thanks for the quick responses and great ideas. I am not an experienced user (but becoming one fast) and this is my first tractor. I agree I may be using in a rougher environment than intended but I am reclaiming an over grown field in land I purchased (reason for tractor) so hopefully once I get it cleaned up - the tractor will be more for intended every day purposes. I've already sheered all the blades off the fan and since then I have been more mindful of what's underneath.
Secondly, an AHA moment from you guys - thanks - I was thinking I was literally knocking the hoses loose and wondering why nothing else was getting messed up - now it's obvious brush is uncoupling them - DUH (remember the newbie comment earlier). Now that the bulb has lit on the cause, it makes more sense on solutions.
Third - I am going to try a combination of suggestions learned here - so blanket thanks to everyone: I definitely need to color code for when it happens - I have been lucky so for - an cable straps will work well and serve the dual purpose of securing them. I also want to use the sleeve approach to protecting. I know I can buy the black rubber/flexible pieces with clamps on both ends (used them for other purposes). They can be easily loosened and moved for access.
Lastly, again - thanks to everyone - I'll try and remember to update with pics of what I use to make it easier for the next guy. :thumbsup:

/ Knocking off Hydraulics on DK45SE #10  
On my DK45SEC I found a 3/4 inch piece of plywood that I cut to fit the angle of the loader frame and ends in front of the hyd filter and installed it with four j bolts, simple but it has kept the hyd fittings from getting hit for the last four years. I have had to take off once for some maintenance but wasn't to hard to do. I think I used 5/16 in bolts and made the j bolts to be the right length.