Knotwyrk Farm

/ Knotwyrk Farm #21  
SHF

A wetter mixture makes it easier to pour but makes a weaker concrete. A low slump concrete is usually a stronger concrete ( all other things being equal ). However , concrete technology is always evolving. There are admixtures that improve the pourability of concrete without adversely affecting the final strength.

RonL

/ Knotwyrk Farm #22  
Ron

Yes I have seen slip forms used where the concrete, some 10 minutes old, is standing up on its own. Used for racetrack barriers etc. Cool stuff !!

Cheers

/ Knotwyrk Farm #23  
I saw one of those trucks today. The brand name was "Putzmeister". :)

/ Knotwyrk Farm #24  
We have our final plans, permits, contracts all complete this week. We are now finishing up with the bank /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. The trackhoe is on sight now. I hopefully will have a similar picture next month. We plan to have the 24 X 32 X 10'6" barn (9' door) put up first(ie. home for the tractor 1st/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). Then the 28X32 2 story farm house w/attached garage. I looks exciting /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Knotwyrk Farm
It has taken a month (since I started this thread with pics of the basement wall being poured) and we're finally starting something new. The rough carpenter crew was setting the beams over the basement yesterday. I hope they don't hurt themselves - the one beam they have up already is a 40 ft long I beam, and four guys did it manually.

Attachments

• 35-121729-P3210002a.JPG
    35-121729-P3210002a.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 72
   / Knotwyrk Farm #26  
Chris, that scene looks mighty familiar. We must be near the same point in construction. Was the beam you mentioned steel? If so, I'm surprised they didn't need a crane. We've got a number of beams waiting for joists to be laid across. Beams are all built up from 2X12 dimensional lumber.

Did you get snow in this current coldsnap? Keep the pics coming /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Knotwyrk Farm
I started out in the am with a lighter jacket on, 45 degrees. Early afternoon at the jobsite it was 15 degrees and blowing. Darn it, I should have worn a warmer coat and hat - I didn't stay long.

The beams are steel. We upgraded a bit to larger steel beams and engineered wooden floor joists to decrease the number of posts in the basement, and to make a stiffer floor. The floor joists are "AllJoist" by Boise Cascade.

/ Knotwyrk Farm #28  
We talked about I-joists instead of dimensional lumber. It came down to price since it didn't solve any span issues for us.

My wife just called and they are working today. I've got my camera with me, so I'll stop and get some fresh photos on the way home /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Knotwyrk Farm #29  
Great to hear that things are moving along for you. We went with dimensional beam & I-joists to eliminate poles also.
I just checked our building sight. The little barn <font color=blue>(home for baby blue) <font color=black> is covered with wall & roof sheathing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif They will have the shingles on before the end of the day. They haven't been able to dig the hole yet due to the weather.

/ Knotwyrk Farm #30  
About the only difference then is that the dimension 2x12's will shrink in width about 3/8" to 1/2" over time, when they dry out. The wood I-joists do not have this dimension change. The change in width is not a problem if figured into the design.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Unused 47.24in x 19.68in x 31.49in Stainless (A33079)
Unused 47.24in x...
Bobcat 44" Dirt Bucket (A32803)
Bobcat 44" Dirt...
2022 Bobcat E50 Mini Excavator (A32803)
2022 Bobcat E50...
Belarus Tractor (A33041)
Belarus Tractor...
Galvanized Steel Fence (A34189)
Galvanized Steel...
Oil Drum and Transmission (A34007)
Oil Drum and...