Chains Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains!

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #1  

DaveM

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710/LA402 FEL, R4's
Hi All,

Wow, my first post in Kubota OWNING! Interesting how my last post in Kubota Buying progressed into a tire loading/ballast discussion. I don't think I'll be draining out the washer fluid because it's not as heavy as other solutions though.

OK, I debated a bit about this post but what the heck I'm not too proud /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. About 20 minutes after the dealer dropped off our new tractor I found myself stranded down a snow covered path about 700' from the house. I've got photos to prove it and if I get the chance I'll try to post them here somewhere. I had hoped to postpone buying tire chains until next winter because I really think we're just about done with this winter's er' spring's snow. Jeez, we were getting some light snow this morning when I went down to look at my dear, lonely, cold, wet tractor! Anyway, my dealer gave me the name of the place (local) they get their chains from, so I could save a few bucks, and I want to call them today. Since I've now discovered first hand some of the traction limitations with R4 tires I suspect they'll come in handy for non-snow uses also such as muddy ground or garden tilling work. Are there any special considerations or questions I should know about?

Slightly Embarrassed but Happy- Dave

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #2  
Dave -- Congrats on hitting that learning curve! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif The type of chain you choose depends a lot on your tires and local conditions. Here in hilly Vermont -- with five feet of snow in the yard and more falling as I type this -- only the big Norse chains (diamond pattern with ice studs) meet my needs. Others, with less incline on their property, get along with ladder chains unless they run ag tires; the ladders get lost between the lugs and offer little traction.

Give me some idea of the conditions you're up against.

Pete
www.gatewaytovermont.com

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #3  
Hi Dave, and congratulations on your purchase. But I am a little confused. Are you saying that you purchased the R4 tires with your rig? And also, what model tractor did you get? I have a BX2200 and used it a lot in some deep snow this year. I have the "bar" tires on it which are wider than your typical ag tire and beefier than some R4's. I had no problem whatsoever in the snow. I did however have a 6' blade on the rear for ballest and plowing purposes. I am not sure you need chains with R4's, maybe just a little more weight in the rear. There have been a few posts on TBN in the past of people with turfs having no problems with snow removal.

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains!
Pete- I DO have R4 tires. Unfortunately these seem to live up to their reputation. More traction than turfs, less than Ag/R1's. R1's will be too rough on my lawn and turfs probably won't cut it for ground work or moving around in the rough areas.

I too am in major snow and hill country though probably not as much as you and others further north here in NY. This is just my second winter here so I really don't know what "typical" snow amounts to expect in future winters. I'm originally from so. Indiana, where it snows, but not like here! Fortunately, our gravel drive is pretty level (not totally) and the 1-2 acres the house sits on is about the same. Except for the 2-3 acres around the house and driveway all our property slopes away, fairly gentle slope but a slope none the less. Elevation drops about 200' down to the creek which I'll never reach on a tractor! In hindsight, I really had/have no business getting off the driveway with this much (or any?) snow on the ground. Although I bet I could use the Norse chains you mention I wonder if they're too specialized. Would they hold up alright for non-snow uses? Ultimatley, I might want to get two types of chains but just don't know right now. Frankly, I don't know if any chains will get me back up the hill with this much snow on the ground but I want to try and I need some type of chains anyway. Fortunately the forecast for the next few days is good. No snow and above freezing temps. so I might see ground again by this weekend. Of course then I expect "mud season"!

Dave

Steve- I just went back to my "profile" and tweaked it to indicate that I have the R4's on our B2710. BTW, in case you don't know you can see lots of info about some folks here if you click on their user name's. That will take you to their profile.

I don't think adding more weight will really help much. Could be wrong though! My rear tires are loaded with aprx. 200 lbs. of ballast each and I have the FEL on which should provide enough weight up front. Fact is, I think there's just too much snow (6-8") and it's currently very granular and slippery from so many freeze/thaw cycles. I can move OK on level ground (it's not stuck, it's stranded!) I just don't have enough traction to move up hill. Again in hindsight, If I had lowered the bucket on my way DOWN the hill and removed alot of the snow I might've been able to get back up. Dooh!!

Dave

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #6  
Dave -- Norse chains are also sometimes called "skidder chains," since they are the type used by loggers on those enormous "ATVs". Very aggressive in mud and snow. This is my first year with them, and I'm impressed both with the traction and durability. They aren't cheap; I spent $550 for mine, but when you depend on your tractor they're worth every penny. They come sized to fit rear tires on the L-series, and can be cut down to fit the B-series.

Last winter I had a B1750 with two sets of tires/wheels. Used ags in the non-winter months, and turfs with 2-link spaced ladder chains in the winter. Toward the end of winter when the snow was wet and heavy they tended to load with ice which greatly reduced traction (as well as making for an exceptionally bumpy ride!), but others who used that setup reported no loading troubles at all.

FYI: I originally intended to get R4s, but during a test drive at a local dealer they completely lost traction in 3" of snow on a very gentle slope. That was enough to send me to ags with chains.

My opinion? Don't bother with two sets of chains. Get one set, but the best you can find. They'll never wear out, and you'll love the additional traction.

Pete in Northern Vermont
www.gatewaytovermont.com

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #7  
Dave,

So just what is the recovery plan?

You may not want tire chains as aggressive as the ones' Pete has, though I probably would have them too if I was that far NORTH. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Something to consider. The more chain on the face of the tire the rougher the ride on harder surfaces. Check out the pics at Tirechains. Maybe a double ring style or the duogrip. Rides high on the tire.
Also here's a link to some other styles Canadianchain.com. Congrats on your new machine.
Good Luck

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

DFB- I'm not sure if there is a plan /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I may just have to wait it out! Chains may be the "little extra" I need or I might try using the FEL to push me inch worm like up the hill. Unfortunately, I have even less experience with an FEL than I do the tractor. And yes I have used the FEL to move SOME snow but it hasn't helped yet and I haven't helped mother earth any in the process!

I looked at tirechains.com and they only offer the basic ladder style chain in my size, 12.4-16. The canadian site seems to have a server problem so I haven't been able to check it out yet.

Dave

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #9  
Dave,

I just went through this with my 2910 which has the same size R4s that you have on your 2710 (12.4-16).

The more agressive chains that boondox has I couldn't find in a size that would fit. Tirechains.com doesn't have them, nor does BB-Chain. Labonville had them earlier in the season, but is out and doesn't expect more 'till next year.

I ended up getting ladder chains from BB-Chain. They are right down the road from me which was convenient. The chains fit, but are too long and need to be trimmed, along with removing 2 of the cross chains. It's not a big deal to do, and I gather is par for the course for most chains. Some people have been understandably frustrated by chains that require trimming when they are alleged to fit out of the box. I'd suggest you simply expect to do some trimming and be happy if you get lucky and don't. Cost was about $170 for the pair, which is much less than the $550 Boondox paid for the higher end chains.

The traction improvement is quite noticable.

Good luck,

Peter

/ Knucklehead Needs Tire Chains! #10  
Dave,

I've got the same problem finding the type of chain I want listed anywhere for the R4 size(12-16.5) on my tractor. Like you say all there seems to be available is ladder style. Talkin' to the guys at the nearest dealer, they said to get the next closet size in the style you want and make them fit. I guess since they most seem to have to be cut down anyways it wouldn't be that big a deal.

The wife's stepdad keeps reinforcing to me the big difference having chains make. He's been plowing snow for years without problem using chains on a 2WD Ford. Did you try using the differential lock? Keep us posted. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif