Kobalt Thru-Ratches

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #1  

jcims

Gold Member
Anyone else use these?

CIMG5441.JPG

I'm building a deck and keep running into scenarios where I'm bottoming my sockets out on carriage bolts, so I thought I'd give them a try.

CIMG5443.JPG

I have to say they deliver. The fit between the socket and the wrench is a little loose for my taste, but I think this overall design has legs, and just needs to be built to a little closer tolerance. The ability to just keep on crankin' without bottoming out is really nice on projects where your fasteners come in 2" increments. I don't think I would try to use them on anything that requires serious torque, but they definitely have their place.

I do wish companies would stop with the laser etched sizes though, that stuff doesn't last. I'm sure it's cheaper, but I have sockets that are 30-40 years old that I can still read without a problem because the size is stamped into them.

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #2  
Anyone else use these?

CIMG5441.JPG

I'm building a deck and keep running into scenarios where I'm bottoming my sockets out on carriage bolts, so I thought I'd give them a try.

CIMG5443.JPG

I have to say they deliver. The fit between the socket and the wrench is a little loose for my taste, but I think this overall design has legs, and just needs to be built to a little closer tolerance. The ability to just keep on crankin' without bottoming out is really nice on projects where your fasteners come in 2" increments. I don't think I would try to use them on anything that requires serious torque, but they definitely have their place.

I do wish companies would stop with the laser etched sizes though, that stuff doesn't last. I'm sure it's cheaper, but I have sockets that are 30-40 years old that I can still read without a problem because the size is stamped into them.

I like the looks of them. I don't think they will be in my tool box at the hangar, but think they would work awesome on various farm projects with all thread.
hugs, Brandi

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #3  
I got a set of ratcheting box end wrenches from Costco, 20 bucks a set either metric or SAE.
It totally changed the way I work on cars and tractors; this cobalt stuff looks sturdier, I will check it out.

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #4  
I got a set of them from Harbor Freight, but I haven't used them much yet.

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #5  
jcims,

I have a set for the exact same reasons you bring up--I kept running into situations where I would bottom out with a standard set.

I have had mine now for about 1 year. So far, so good. I have been happy with them and they were worth what I paid for them at Lowe's--maybe $50.

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #6  
I have a set of through sockets and the accompanying drive tools I find handy for certain things. Not a new idea..I've had mine probably 20 years...

/ Kobalt Thru-Ratches #7  
I got a set of ratcheting box end wrenches from Costco, 20 bucks a set either metric or SAE.
It totally changed the way I work on cars and tractors; this cobalt stuff looks sturdier, I will check it out.

I got some like that from Sears. They weren't craftsmen but were just as nice, after a couple weeks I went back and got the shorty ones too. Ratcheting box ends are a life saver.. ok maybe not, but they save time and headache :laughing:

My normal sized ones have the lever to go forward/back, adn my shorties you have to flip over... I like the lever ones for sure but they are probably a bit weaker. So, what I do is break something loose if possible with the open end, and then ratchet away with the ratchet end.

So far so good :thumbsup: