Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke .....

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
Have a Cub Cadet 3208 with Kohler Command engine with 1250 hrs on it .... runs great until today , when it did something that it has never done in my 20 years of ownership .... I'm doing a land scape job of major proportions , and towing a loaded trailer of dirt over and over again.... fill trailer dump load ...repeat engine is under stressed, as dump area is down hill ....only driving tractor uphill with empty trailer ..... a short while ago engine plumed heavy white smoke ... oil ? ....so much so that it kills engine in middle of steep hill ....kinda scary stuff. If I let it sit for less than a minute .... it will restart , with huge white smoke again , and can get it to top of hill .... where it will burn off all the smoke....which is heavy enough not to be able to see anything in the path of the heavy white cloud of smoke. As I type it runs perfect , with no smoke .... and I quit the job for the day ...but now afraid to use it . Oil is a little over filled but not much , and I have been doing this project for a month now with no problems.... what gives ?

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #2  
Could be from being on a steep surface and your internals are actually hitting the oil. Could be tilting enough to block off crankcase breather. A steep grade will add to the overfill situation. It will eventually foul the plug when you kill on the hill to restart. I'm sure somewhere you can find the max slope for it. Then check your slope and see if you are out of spec.

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #3  
Chances are that the overfill and tilt gradient was the factor. If you pull the plug, it will probably be gooey from the excess oil. Clean plug and correct oil level and it should be okay.

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #4  
Could be the head gasket. They are well known for it. Do a search on "Kohler Command engine sucking oil".

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #5  
Could be the head gasket. They are well known for it. Do a search on "Kohler Command engine sucking oil".
Yes but it clears up on a flat area. Head gasket be smoking all the time, hard start, this one starts fine and clears up.

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #6  
I have a Honda tractor that would smoke like crazy when heading downhill. The engine wouldn't die but man was there a lot of smoke. The valve guide seals needed replacement. After that was done the smoking stopped completely. The smoke was blueish/whitish. I dunno about your particular engine but since it seems to be tilt related could it be the same problem I had?
Eric

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #7  
I see that your engine is water cooled. White smoke is a indicator of water getting into the combustion chamber. Oil would cause the smoke to be blue. You most likely have a bad head gasket.

Richard

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke .....
Have a Cub Cadet 3208 with Kohler Command engine with 1250 hrs on it .... runs great until today , when it did something that it has never done in my 20 years of ownership .... I'm doing a land scape job of major proportions , and towing a loaded trailer of dirt over and over again.... fill trailer dump load ...repeat engine is under stressed, as dump area is down hill ....only driving tractor uphill with empty trailer ..... a short while ago engine plumed heavy white smoke ... oil ? ....so much so that it kills engine in middle of steep hill ....kinda scary stuff. If I let it sit for less than a minute .... it will restart , with huge white smoke again , and can get it to top of hill .... where it will burn off all the smoke....which is heavy enough not to be able to see anything in the path of the heavy white cloud of smoke. As I type it runs perfect , with no smoke .... and I quit the job for the day ...but now afraid to use it . Oil is a little over filled but not much , and I have been doing this project for a month now with no problems.... what gives ?
Update .... took a turn for the worst .... smoking so bad , tractor is unusable . Crankcase is overfull again.... despite ... no additional oil added ....Google search says , fuel pump could be bad ....pumping gas into engine ....will check that out , and report back ...

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke ..... #9  
Yes...it...could...be...gas...leaking...into...the...crankcase....Try...smelling...the...oil...and...also...check...the...viscosity....
Eric

/ Kohler Command bellowing HEAVY White smoke .....
E ....sorry for the late reply ...but I followed your advice ...and you were Right On .... put in new fuel pump , and problem instantly solved ! Thanks so much !