Kohler Courage MYSTERY?

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #11  
Same problem here. Starter on a Courage 27 has been gradually getting weaker and weaker and now can't turn over engine to get it started. I pulled the starter; brushes look ok and spins great with no load on it. It just doesn't spin strong enough to turn over the engine. Maybe time for a new starter? Is there a relay that could be going bad?

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #12  
Pull battery. Take to qualified shop that can perform a LOAD test. Today's small L&G batts are somewhat notorious for marginal life and for one or more cells going south. 3 yrs of service is typical - shorter depending on how machine is stored/maintained.

M/W, disassemble and using sandpaper, clean every electrical connection mating surface in the start circuit to bright metal (don't just give it a quick visual - some corrosion can be colorless). Make sure you include batt ground wire to frame connection, starter solenoid to frame mounting. Re-asm all connections tightly. Also chk for corrosion buildup in copper wire strands back up under insulation of batt cables. Put new/good batt back in machine (watch for - to ground, + to harness.... some new batteries have post positions reversed).

if still poor/no starter rotation, bypass ign switch and start solenoid by jumpering directly to starter post and chassis ground with jumper cables. If improvement is seen, replace solenoid first.

If you have been using the garden hose or a pressure washer to wash/clean machine, lose 'em. L&G tractors are not designed/built to withstand soakings.

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #13  
Turn ign on.

Jump directly to starter bypassing all relays..

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #14  
Sounds to me like the valves are out of adjustment and not allowing compression release, I've seen this often on small ohv engines in particular.

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #15  
Same thing happened to my Cub Cadet Lt1045. Pulled the OHV cover off and walah! Found the one lifter nut had worked it's way loose. Retightened and on my way.!!!!!

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #16  
I have the exact same issue. Was under two years old when it first occured. Engine would spin till it hit compression stroke than...eke...eke...eke...spin. At first it would do it a few times then suddenly spin normal speed and start. Got worst and worst so i took it to the local authorized Kholer dealer and he said there was water in the starter and rebuild it. No a warrantee repair because of measurements he took????no real explanation of voltage or current or what. Just out of range per the Kholer spec's. Anyway, Upon reinstalling it it did the exact same thing, not quite as bad. I can bypass the system and jump off a car to the starter but not that makes no difference. I think its the compression release. I think they use an undersize starter and take advantage of the lower torque needed with the compression release. As I recall it is open until the engine reachs 750 RPM(i think that is what I read). It is a small lever on the camshift that increases the clearence on the exhaust valve. Once the engine starts and gains speed it rotates out of the way so the valve operated normally. I think it sticks!

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #17  
I fixed one of these this past weekend. The Flywheel was about 95 degrees out of timing. The owner said it was always hard to start when the temperature dropped, shortly after purchasing, and finally quit when it backfired on shutdown.
I replaced the key and adjusted the valves and cleaned the shmoots out of the carb and she ran better than new, so the owner says.

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #18  
Zork - to what specs/procedure did you you adjust the valves?

/ Kohler Courage MYSTERY? #19  
Zork - to what specs/procedure did you you adjust the valves?

I don't exactly remember, SV590 19HP? Intake .005 in/ Exh .007 in, it wasn't much. Anyway you can get both manuals (owners and service) for free here on the Kohler site:

Kohler Engines: Home