Kohler Courage or Lack of it!

/ Kohler Courage or Lack of it! #1  

Stimw

Elite Member
I have 2 Kohler Courage engines, a 25 hp with 170 hours and a 22 hp with 950 hours.
Both are VERY hard to start and appear that the compression release has quit working. I have checked valve adjustment and it is correct.
Both engines run great, ONCE STARTED!
Searching the net it appears this is a common problem with these engines. One only had 19 hours on it when the problem started.
I just got the 22 hp on a Cub Cadet RZT mower. I figured I had two options-
Take the engine off, remove the crankcase cover and repair/replace the camshafts so the release will work. (cams are expensive)
Or add another battery and rig it up to start on 24 volts.
Which is what I did. That cost me $25. for a new battery, $10. for a new solenoid, and some wire and connectors.
I will just have to live with the 25 hp because the tractor is like new.

I have worked on HUNDREDS of Honda Engines (I'm a Honda Engine Dealer) and only found ONE with a problem with the compression release. (spring broke)
Why didn't Kohler correct the problem many, many engines ago???

/ Kohler Courage or Lack of it! #2  
They did

The K582 in the Bolens starts as fast as the first turn over hot or cold. And that with NO comp. release.

Threee things are needed to get an engine to start. Compression, fuel/air mix, and a spark at the right time.

The first is compression.

Are you saying that Kohler put an undersized starter motor on the Courage series?

/ Kohler Courage or Lack of it!
I have no knowledge of the K582. If it is an older engine they used to have a camshaft grind that acted as a compression release at low cranking speed on Briggs and possibly Kohler had something similar.
I do know that I have 2 of the Courage engines with the same defective compression release system and if you google it there are many posts with this same problem including one person with only 19 hours!
The starter would be adequate if the release worked.
I have started and worked on many 8-11 and 13 hp Honda's. They start very easily because of the compression release. The ones that don't need the valves adjusted.

/ Kohler Courage or Lack of it! #4  
The Courage engine is a junk design. On the cam gears is a plastic tab that will keep the exhaust valve open until the gear speeds up (once it starts) and then centrifugal force will cause the tab to move out of the way. The tab often breaks off after a few hours of use. Once it does the starter doesn't have the power to make it past the first compression stroke. If it does it'll usually start.

The motor also has several other flaws. The main one is the block flexes when the engine is running causing the top crank cover bolts to loosen up. If they do loosen the upper crank shaft bearing is no longer being supported and the block will crack. I have heard that newer engine blocks are beefed up to prevent this. Part of the routine maintenance for the engine is to check the torque on the bolts each time you fill the gas tank or expect to replace the engine.

Kohler really screwed up with this engine. When mine dies I'm done with them. I have Hondas, Briggs, and even a Harbor Freight engine that have lots of trouble free hours. Other than ethanol issues the only part I had to replace in the last 25 years was a coil on a 14hp Briggs.