Kohler running on one cylinder

/ Kohler running on one cylinder
The shop pretty much agreed it was electrical. I ordered the spark module, will be in tuesday. Hopefully that is it.

/ Kohler running on one cylinder #12  
Sorry i led you astray and that checking the rockers and push rods resulted in the broken bolt. I've done that a few times myself. Hopefully the ign control module will fix it. Did the repair shop test it or are they just assuming that it's the likely culprit?

/ Kohler running on one cylinder #13  
will be watching for a conclusion, for I would be leaning at a fuel issue- the reason being, spark is present, compression is good, and that one cylinder is running says mostly, timing is ok.
Let us know...

I would suspect carburetor, certainly easier than dealing with the coils. However, the right plug is wet when I pull it, so in my mind that rules out carburetor. The module will be in tuesday. I just pulled the engine so I could get to module wiring. I have half a mind to go ahead and order the right coil as well. I really dont want to pull it a second time. :confused2:

Sorry i led you astray and that checking the rockers and push rods resulted in the broken bolt. I've done that a few times myself. Hopefully the ign control module will fix it. Did the repair shop test it or are they just assuming that it's the likely culprit?

No problems, better safe than sorry. A tap and new bolt and it'll be as good as new. What really torqued me off was all 4 of the 8mm head bolts (two on each side) that bolt down the top of the back plastic housing (one side the bolts also secure what looks to be like an engine hoist bracket), they all snapped right off!!!! A little anti-seize at the factory would have been nice.......

I asked the shop about testing the module, and they didnt seem like it was something they normally did. Which seemed a little odd, cause I know they can be tested. After I gave them the run down, and what I had done, they pretty much agreed, it sounded like either the module or the coil. Well see this week.

/ Kohler running on one cylinder #16  
If you have separate carbs for each cylinder then I could see it possibly being the carb, a quick and fast check is a quick shot of WD 40 in the intake with the engine running in the non producing cylinders carb, if it picks up for the moment, its fuel related, if not, its most likely electrical, coil, plug, timing.

/ Kohler running on one cylinder #17  
Run it on one cylinder until it gets warm. Then swap spark plugs and see if the other cylinder gets hot. You could have a bad plug. Yes, it sparks outside in the open, but under compression and a fuel charge, it may not. This situation is very common with the use of e85 (15% ethanol) gas. This fuel also deteriorates carburetor rubber parts and fuel lines unless the motor is equipped to handle this fuel.

Only one carb, I tried putting a little Sea Foam in while it was running on one cyl (left one), and it made no difference. Nor did adding a little choke.

It was hot when I did the initial troubleshooting. I swapped the plugs, and the problem stayed with the cylinder. So I think the plugs are good. :confused2:

/ Kohler running on one cylinder #19  
Almost always is a bad coil.
Replace both.
Both will fire, but one will fire intermittently or not at all.
Just depends on how bad it is.

BTI

Almost always is a bad coil.
Replace both.
Both will fire, but one will fire intermittently or not at all.
Just depends on how bad it is.

BTI

Noted. I called and ordered the coil as well. Hopefully it should all be in by the next day or so. If it's not, I gonna have to find someone to hay my yard. :laughing: