Kubota 1640a loader Bucket Cylinders leaking down

/ Kubota 1640a loader Bucket Cylinders leaking down #1  

Wasmeneh

Silver Member
Has anybody rebuilt their bucket cylinders on a 1640a loader. I don't see any real outside leaks but the bucket is dropping at an increasing rate. It just started after I moved about 7 large pines that died as a result of flooding due to hurricane Florence.

I had cut them to manageable lengths and moved to a burn pile. Took a while but its done now. The bucket started leaking down towards the end.

Looking for tips, checked out some YouTube videos on rebuilding cylinders but nothing Kubota specific. I see that Messnicks has seal kits but there are a number of them and don't know which one I would need.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

/ Kubota 1640a loader Bucket Cylinders leaking down #2  
Leakdown is more likely to be the valves than the cylinders. If it's not leaking externally & the rod is being shoved into the cylinder, the oil has to go somewhere. Even if there were no seals internally it shouldn't leak down. If you lift up the loader, support it, then unplug the quick disconnects you can validate that. When you remove the supports it will either stay put or leak oil somewhere externally.

/ Kubota 1640a loader Bucket Cylinders leaking down #3  
If you. carefully follow this procedure you will identify your leak.

K0T4bkN.jpg

Control valves have no internal seals as the tolerances between the spool and the body are so small you will not have a tool to measure the gap.

If the valve has external features like a detent, then there are seals in the ends but a leak there is obvious.

On some cylinders, I have seen this small O ring, which seals the piston to the pushrod, fail and then oil is bypassing the piston. The cylinder leaks down but o external leak.

QUgtDqK.jpg

Dave M7040

/ Kubota 1640a loader Bucket Cylinders leaking down
Thanks for thw information will do some checks the next time I'm at the tractor's location.
I should add that this occurred dumping cut logs into a very hot fire.
Thanks again
Mike

/ Kubota 1640a loader Bucket Cylinders leaking down
I was up at the tractor today. The bucket drops with the quick disconnects off from the loader controls.

I said earlier that I saw no visable signs of leakage but upon closer exam it appears that there is a little film on the metal loader parts near the seals so there may be a very small leak. It is the same on both sides. I am going to call Messicks tomarrow now that I have the cylinder numbers.

Anybody know if I'll need any special tools?

Thanks in advance
Mike