Kubota 28hp engine won't shut off

/ Kubota 28hp engine won't shut off #1  

GSP9

Tractor
L3400
Thought this might be the best place to post this..........I have a 2007 Toro Groundsmaster with a Kubota 28 hp engine (D1105) with 620 hours on it. About a month ago it wouldn't start. I would just get one loud click from the starter when I turned the key. Ended up replacing the starter and the battery and all was good for the next month. A few nights ago I went to start it and got the same thing. Every time I turned the key I would get one loud click and then nothing. Once I got the initial loud click, if I kept turning the key back and forth the gauge lights were very weak and it wouldn't engage the starter or no loud click. If I jiggled the positive battery cable it would reset itself and once I turned the key I would again get that one loud click from the starter but it wouldn't engage the flywheel.

I pulled the starter and once it was off the mount, it wouldn't click anymore when I turned the key. But the solenoid stop would now make almost the same loud click. So I started looking at the battery cable and figured I would work back from there. Where the cable was connected to the clamp looked a little corroded and since I had enough slack I cut off an inch and reclamped it to the clamp. It started right up on the first key turn so I thought I was back in business. The problem is, now it doesn't want to shut off when the key is turned to off. When it starts up, even though it is set to idle, it runs full throttle and smokes pretty good. Since the hood was up I was able to pinch the fuel line to get it to stop. Electrical is not my strong suit but the harness to the solenoid stop is getting 12 volts according to the multimeter.

Any suggestions on where to look next? I'm not sure if maybe I fried the solenoid stop during my testing of other things but bottom line is it starts right up now but runs at full throttle, smokes, and won't shut off. Any suggestions would be helpful......thanks.

/ Kubota 28hp engine won't shut off #2  
I've been going through related problems with 2 Kubota diesels (zd326, 331). The starter issue was identical, although I was not able to track down a high resistance connection. Mine simply stopped clicking after the trailer ride to the dealer (started working properly). They installed a relay at the starter, I believe he called it a "Grasshopper" kit, that they install a lot of.

In another simultaneous fuel issue (coincidence?) My trouble shooting involved the fuel shut off solenoid, and it is a simple test .... Remove, apply power, confirm plunger operation. Mine was fine, but the problem was a fuel starvation issue, rather than your symptoms. I would test the switched power to the stop solenoid (12v with key in run position, 0v in off), and also confirm that the throttle linkage is free. Why it would run wot I can't imagine.

/ Kubota 28hp engine won't shut off #3  
There are only 2 possible reasons for a shutdown failure:

1- poor voltage to the fuel shutoff solenoid

2- bad solenoid

1st, perform a continuity test on the circuit, to ensure you don't have a short.

2nd, perform a voltage test on the circuit to ensure you have close to battery level voltage to the shutoff solenoid when it activates.

3rd, check the current draw of the shutdown circuit in operation.

If 2nd and 3rd step check out, you have a weak solenoid. If you have a proper voltage but current draw is poor, you could have a bad solenoid or bad ground. Clean up the negative contacts and try again.

The previous owner of my Grasshopper 928 (same engine), also had this problem. The short was in the fuse block... which he had bridged the fuse location with aluminum foil.

I had the same problem (click on start) but had a fully charged battery. I forgot to turn off the switch, and fried the fuse block and entire harness while walking to get the circuit tester.