Comparison Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #11  
I have a slightly bigger Kubota with the HST+ and there's no other brand I would buy now that I have some seat time. The extra features of the HST+ just set it above the rest. Just the H-DS feature (being able to shift from high to low without letting of the HST pedal or turning off the curse control) alone is worth it's weight in gold. But if you've never owned it you probably never miss it.

As far as the flail mower goes, I would either step up a size like Rockgod said or I think you would just have to go a little slower. The brake pedal is a non issue to me. The GLs have an almost flat deck so it's easy to move your foot to the brakes ( I could see where having a hump could be an issue). Try them both out and then come back and ask a few more questions about each.

Same here, my left leg is partially paralyzed and has been for over forty years in addition to having back problems. I have driven tractors using my right foot for the clutch and steering brakes on several different tractors, so I often find it somewhat amusing when people on here say something can't be done that I have been doing most of my life.

I still get flamed once in a while when I say it can be done.

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #12  
Same here, my left leg is partially paralyzed and has been for over forty years in addition to having back problems. I have driven tractors using my right foot for the clutch and steering brakes on several different tractors, so I often find it somewhat amusing when people on here say something can't be done that I have been doing most of my life.

I still get flamed once in a while when I say it can be done.

Now wait just a minute ... Our Kubota HST's have brakes??!!! :laughing: :D

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #13  
Now wait just a minute ... Our Kubota HST's have brakes??!!! :laughing: :D

I believe there is a line in the book "Some Came Running" in which Bama Dillard opined that he never used brakes as they were only used to correct mistakes.

With that in mind, I usually just cut mine off; maybe you got one of my used ones.:laughing::laughing:

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520
Appreciate all the feedback. I've driven them both. Like the way they both drive. Again, slight preference in the pedal arrangement to Deere but overall I like the Kubota better. And I can't find a single unhappy Grand L Kubota owner. Can't say the same for Deere.

That said, I'm still struggling with giving up 5 hp at the pto for the same price. With ballast in the tires and ballast box available, I guess I'm starting to question whether the added weight in the Kubota is that much of an edge - unless it translates to better build quality (which ironically is exactly what JD says in a video on their website).

Still thinking - The JD dealer called today to remind me that 0% for 72 mos ends as of the 1st. Gotta pull the trigger soon if I go that route.'

Thanks again.

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #16  
Pick the one you like the most. Otherwise you'll always wonder if you settled. I can't say for sure but I would guess that any interest rate will continue next month.

Some people use the HST pedal where they push with their toes to go forward and heal to o in reverse. I just move my foot and push with toes for either direction. The HST pedal has a tab sticking off to the side for forward that I use.

I have a homemade ballast box, I filled a 55 gallon drum with cement. It's nice but it ties up the 3pt hitch. So far it hasn't been an issue but I'm going to fill the tires in the near future.

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #17  
Appreciate all the feedback. I've driven them both. Like the way they both drive. Again, slight preference in the pedal arrangement to Deere but overall I like the Kubota better. And I can't find a single unhappy Grand L Kubota owner. Can't say the same for Deere.

I tested a JD 4120 hydro prior to any Kubota before buying, & I thought the separate pedals were "the way to go" :thumbsup:, especially after reading that some people thought Kubota's treadle was weird or unusual, or whatever. Then I went & test drove an L3540 & thought Kubota's pedal was just fine. And, dince day 1 I've never had a problem with it at all. Never even crosses my mind, actually, which is what I want. Wouldn't want to have to think about the pedal all the time.

Still thinking - The JD dealer called today to remind me that 0% for 72 mos ends as of the 1st. Gotta pull the trigger soon if I go that route.'

Hmmm ... Dealer's calling to pester ... afraid to lose you to the (superior) competition, is he? :laughing: My Kubota dealer never even got to the point of, "So, do you wanna buy it?" I had to finally tell him, "I guess I'm ready to buy, can you give me a sales order?" He was willing to talk all day about it, without ever pressing me to actually buy. That seemed like a good sign to me.

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520
I think - as TripleR stated - I'll get used to whatever set-up I buy. Not concerned about the Kub set-up at all - just a slight preference right now towards the separate pedals.

My biggest concern with the 3240 is PTO hp. I don't have hills so I'm not worried about getting up big hills - strictly woriied that I might be limited on tillers, flail mowers, PTO chippers and the like. I don't mind working a little slower - I just don't want to run into a situation where there's a common implement I can't use because I'm lacking in HP.

I'm probably overthinking it. Esp given that I started out last year looking at a X500 series with a Johnny Bucket.:laughing:

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #19  
I think - as TripleR stated - I'll get used to whatever set-up I buy. Not concerned about the Kub set-up at all - just a slight preference right now towards the separate pedals.

My biggest concern with the 3240 is PTO hp. I don't have hills so I'm not worried about getting up big hills - strictly woriied that I might be limited on tillers, flail mowers, PTO chippers and the like. I don't mind working a little slower - I just don't want to run into a situation where there's a common implement I can't use because I'm lacking in HP.

I'm probably overthinking it. Esp given that I started out last year looking at a X500 series with a Johnny Bucket.:laughing:

I don't really think you'll go wrong either way, but:

L3240 4WD HST = 25 PTO HP & a $20,939 MSRP
L3540 4WD HST = 28 PTO HP & a $22,219 MSRP ... +$1280 over L3240
L3940 4WD HST = 31.5 PTO HP & a $24,329 MSRP ... +$3390 over L3240

$1280 more to help dampen your PTO HP concerns
$3390 more to further dampen your PTO HP concerns

My dad already had a nice set of implements for his ~40HP Mahindra that I could use, so ~40 engine HP was my target, thus I settled on the 40.5 HP L3940.

/ Kubota 3240 vs JD 3520 #20  
When you get right down to it, life and tractor buying is often not as complicated/hard as we make it. If you need/want more HP, buy it. When financing, the difference in price spread out over time is not going to be much and won't effect your life nearly as much as paying for a tractor with which you are unhappy. Just about ever time I have bought something trying to save a few bucks over buying what I wanted, it has cost me more in the long run.

For many if not most, buying a tractor is "usually" a long term commitment which makes buying enough tractor even more important; just a thought.