Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #61  
I'm sure sorry I mentioned differential in the middle of a seized engine conversation... Hey OP [tallyho8] -- any chance of an update on this saga?

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #62  
5030 - have you ever added a coolant filter to your PS? I put one on mine, which alos doses the additive, but I've never cut open the filter to see if its doing anything?

Sorry to go way off topic.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #64  
My neighbor left for a 2 week vacation so there are no updates.
Of course the neighbor left. And upon their return it will turn out to be a fuel valve in the off position causing the problem. Or they put gasoline in the tank. Or a clogged fuel filter. Or some other reason not related to overheating. And when your neighbor returns they will show surprise that you didn't know the reason.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #65  
I don't know but wondering if this model has a low coolant sensor? If so, it might go into engine protection mode with coolant loss and stop the engine. Some systems won't then allow restart until fault is corrected, coolant is present, and codes are cleared.
Your friend would be lucky if that's the case.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #66  
The best thing to do is call the dealer in this case. Anyone who simply drives a piece of equipment and doesn’t know enough to pay attention to ANYTHING out of the ordinary is simply going to do more damage. He didn’t smell antifreeze as it was spraying everywhere? He was driving it like “he stole it”, so he can afford it…

A good lesson for all of us, to watch for anything and stop to check if an issue pops up.

Last edited:
   / Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #67  
Last year I bought a M9960HDC12 on auction and the listing said bad engine. When I got it, it turned over fast with not much power and wouldn’t pop on starting fluid. We did compressions and they were terrible, 2 of them were 0. When I took the pistons out they were scored really badly and the cylinders were terrible. When the cylinders got bored out, my engine guy found cracks in the cylinders and the head was warped.When I drained the coolant it appeared to be straight water. We just finished rebuilding the engine and it is running now.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #68  
I am posting this for my next door neighbor. He has a fairly new Kubota 3910 and was bush hogging when his tractor suddenly stopped. Checking it, he saw that the lower radiator hose had been pulled off and there was no water in it. He said he had been watching the temperature gauge and it hadn't moved but maybe with no water in it, there was no hot water to measure the temperature of.

After it cooled and he put a new hose on he attempted to start it. The starter turned over at the normal speed, not real fast like it would do if there was no compression but it would not start. He tried using ether but it still did not even putt. He has never owned one of these newer models with all the pollution junk on them and doesn't know if they have any type of electronics on it that might prevent it from starting under these circumstances or if his engine is just toast. Any ideas?
He should have smelled the antifreeze coming out when the hose was ripped off. That motor is smoked. Engine is toast

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #69  
I am posting this for my next door neighbor. He has a fairly new Kubota 3910 and was bush hogging when his tractor suddenly stopped. Checking it, he saw that the lower radiator hose had been pulled off and there was no water in it. He said he had been watching the temperature gauge and it hadn't moved but maybe with no water in it, there was no hot water to measure the temperature of.

After it cooled and he put a new hose on he attempted to start it. The starter turned over at the normal speed, not real fast like it would do if there was no compression but it would not start. He tried using ether but it still did not even putt. He has never owned one of these newer models with all the pollution junk on them and doesn't know if they have any type of electronics on it that might prevent it from starting under these circumstances or if his engine is just toast. Any ideas?
Well the temp gauge needs water to indicate. That's a bit counterintuitive but unfortunately a fact. I have had a similar incident with a diesel pickup. When it cooled down the engine ceased up.The engine was toast after that. We assume because the vehicle is fairly new we can just get on and go without checking things out like most of us do with our cars.
These vehicles are used for things that may compromise their hardware and they need constant vigilance by the operator.
If it doesn't even put with ether it doesn't have the compression that diesels need to create combustion. A head gasket may fix the problem. . . or not.

/ Kubota 3910 ran out of water and will not run #70  
If you blow coolant fast, like pulling off a hose, there is nothing for the heat sensor to detect. So, expect any kind of problem from overheating, he ran it until it stopped.

Thinking more about it, a diesel needs 13:1 compression to run, so a cracked head would make that not possible. If he's lucky, its only a head gasket, but 90% of the time the head is warped if not cracked.

Last edited: