Kubota 5249 HST filter removal

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #1  

trackbar

I'm at 50 hrs and am trying to remove the HST filter and it won't budge. I've used a strap wrench and even a pipe wrench. I about broke the strap wrench and the filter is starting to deform with the pipe wrench. Anyone have a clue on how to get it off?? It looks like there are some marks on the very top of the filter housing as for some kind of spanner wrench. Does anyone have one and does it help? The hydrolic filter and the oil filter can be removed without trouble. It's just the HST filter (the one just behind the step on the ROPS model).

Thanks for the help

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #2  
I have never heard of a 5249 Kubota is that a new model? Post a pic. I have used a large set of channel locks before but never a pipe wrench. if you are going to grab it grab it close to the bottom where it will be harder to crush/deform.

I'm at 50 hrs and am trying to remove the HST filter and it won't budge. I've used a strap wrench and even a pipe wrench. I about broke the strap wrench and the filter is starting to deform with the pipe wrench. Anyone have a clue on how to get it off?? It looks like there are some marks on the very top of the filter housing as for some kind of spanner wrench. Does anyone have one and does it help? The hydrolic filter and the oil filter can be removed without trouble. It's just the HST filter (the one just behind the step on the ROPS model).

Thanks for the help

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal
Sorry, fat finger....it's a 5240.

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #5  
I have the L4740 which I think is basically the same tractor. I didn't have any major problem getting them off for the 200 hour service. The dealer did the 50 hour service. I think it'll just come down to brute force and ignorance. It has to come off, one way or another.

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #6  
I've only ever had one spin on filter a strap wrench wouldn't remove.. on that one I stuck a screwdriver thru it and 't' handled it off.. made a mess, and took alot of cussing and work, and made 2 elongated holes int he fitler as the metal deformed.. but it sure came off.

My last ditch was going to be a chissle into the base to spin it around and try to stay out of the tractor metal.. glad the screwdriver worked. If'n you can't get it poket with the screw driver for some reason.. then get creative.. a garden 'neail' spike will work.. or drill ahole in it and then stick the screwdriver thru.

don't do it right up near the nipple.. but not near the base either.

preferably this filter is hanging face up or face sideways, and not face down.. if face down.. nix the drilling and stabbing as you don't want shreds of fitler or metal to fall down the center tube..

soundguy

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #7  
I have had luck as a last resort using a chain vise grip. You can really snug it down and apply some elbow grease if you lock it down near the base of the filter. I use it for all kinds of stubborn pipe work. Good tool to have...(can't never have too many tools and books)!

Attachments

• Chain Grips.jpg
    Chain Grips.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 212
   / Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #8  
Two oil filter tools at the same time has always worked for me. This way to force is distributed and doesn't bend the filter. With two people, one on each wrench, would be even easier.

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal
Got it with a pipe wrench. Boy, was that thing on there! I tried the cold chisle like the dealer recomended but it did more cutting of the filter than rotating.

/ Kubota 5249 HST filter removal #10  
does anybody have a problem with the wix 557616 hst filter threads being too small to fit an anL4740.bought 2 new filters and the thread size is too small,same part number as what came off the tractor.totally puzzled,spin on measures 1/1/4 inches or about 34mm,new filter is 1 inch,same part number wix 557616???????dave