Kubota advice

/ Kubota advice #1  

rustywheels

Tractor
Kubota B2710
Hi All,

I have the chance to buy a 2006 Kubota BX23 w/ FEL and backhoe with only 50 hours on it for $12k. Does that sound like a reasonable price? 12k is my absolute max budget so can anyone advise whether I'd be better off buying something different (for example an older, larger tractor?) How will the BX23 hold it's value over time? What might I expect to sell it for in a few years (not that I'm planning to... just need to appease the wife).

Thank you!

/ Kubota advice #2  
The BX23 TLB is a great tractor I owned one.Good deal for what you are getting and the low,low hours. But it also depends on what your plans are for this size tractor, what do you need and plan on doing with this or any other tractor?
DevilDog

/ Kubota advice #3  
Hi All,

I have the chance to buy a 2006 Kubota BX23 w/ FEL and backhoe with only 50 hours on it for $12k. Does that sound like a reasonable price? 12k is my absolute max budget so can anyone advise whether I'd be better off buying something different (for example an older, larger tractor?) How will the BX23 hold it's value over time? What might I expect to sell it for in a few years (not that I'm planning to... just need to appease the wife).

Thank you!
Wow only 50 hours .

I wish imy BX23 with 1400 hours only had 50 hours on it.

/ Kubota advice #4  
You should get years of reliable service... I have.

When new... some were buying for as little as 15k to as much as 18k...

Are they any implements or attachments included?

Even things like the Brotek underbelly protection plates are considered a must by just about everyone.

Sounds like the price is high, but, then it might really be just like new.

The BX23 have a good record... most issues are minor, like the air cleaner bracket breaking and problems when water gets into the light switches... tires are not too robust... at least that has been my experience... had the rears foamed filled and improvement was noticed immediately... no more flats, better digging with the hoe and more stability on my uneven terrain.

Cash seems to work the best when I'm serious about buying... might be able to negotiate if you are ready to take it home...

The BX23 is big enough to do real work... in my case it has let me get jobs done I would never have attempted... moved many hundreds of yards of rock, dig trenches and even helps when I needed to move equipment around or out of the truck...

/ Kubota advice
Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful replies.

I won't see the machine until the weekend. The seller says the only problem is a little surface rust on some of the welds and a non-functioning temperature gauge. This is my first tractor and I have no real machinery experience other then renting a bobcat a couple of times. I'm very nervous about paying so much money and not really knowing what to look for when I see the machine.

What should I do when I go to look at it? I've read many of the threads here on the board that mention things like frothy oil and white smoke. I don't imagine a newish tractor will have those kinds of problems. Are there any subtle things I should look for? I'm always weary when someone is selling something that they still claim is in "perfect" condition.

@Ultrarunner - There are no implements included. It has turf tires. I suspect I'd prefer the bar type. How will these do in dirt and snow? Will I need chains to plow the driveway. If you think the price is high, how much cash should I show up with?

THANK YOU for the help.

/ Kubota advice #6  
I have industrials and probably should have AG tires... the turfs are good for mowing, which is something I don't do.

I would think the tires are not optimal if you plan on a lot of ground engaging activity...

Anything under 10k would be considered a great buy in my opinion...

I think you need to start and operated it... listen for how it sounds and ask for the service log or other documentation...

50 hours is a required service interval for fluids and one local Dealer charged several hundred dollars plus transport.

Since you are buying used, without warranty... don't be timid to offer what it is worth to you...

100% check underneath and verify the little plastic fan is intact... very easy to damage... a chore to replace and if operated with a broken fan, could have overheated...

A broken fuel gauge is no big deal to me... a temperature gauge needs to work.

You should figure the cost of doing a 50 hour service just based on age, probably a battery will be due soon and make sure you get the 3 point arms and safety triangle... it came new with these items...

Being like new... it has to have been kept inside away from the elements...

Many of us took advantage of the Kubota seat upgrade... in my case, it cost $50 and well worth it... more of a contour to keep you from sliding around.

/ Kubota advice
Wow, thanks ultrarunner for taking the time to write that all out.

So there is a new dimension in my tractor plans. I was contacted by the owner of a B7100 I was interested in that sold last week. He said the buyer wasn't able to get the money together. He claims it is immaculate (As a side note, he's an author about to publish a book on the history of small tractors. This tractor is on the front cover). It's the 4wd model, it has a loader, ag and turf tires, chains, around 2000 hours, BUT no backhoe (which I really want). $5500 firm.

So the question is, am I better off buying an older machine for less than half the cost?

Thanks again!

/ Kubota advice #8  
You have several issues to sort out. First, these are two different kinds of machines, each very good in their own way. Which one is better for you? Quite a bit depends on what you figure to be doing with it. The B7100 is more of a true "tractor" in size, ground clearance, etc., but it weighs less, has less power, is more basic in its design. The BX23 sits on smaller tires so it wouldn't do so well in mud or over really rough ground, but it has more weight and power and is more "modern" in its features. If you have a finished yard, it would probably be more "landscape friendly", depending on the tires.

Then you need to consider each of these used machines for purchase. Just like buying used cars, you can get a very good one or a lemon and everything in between. Again shades of buying used cars, if you have a choice between your perfect, preferred model that is in rough shape and another model you don't particularly like that is in perfect condition, you usually get the one in good condition or you keep looking. If you are not familiar enough with tractors to judge what condition they are in, by all means find a friend or a neighbor who can help you.

Why would someone buy a $15,000 BX23 and only use it 50 hours over 8-10 years? Was it used initially and then parked, or has it been getting 5-8 hours of use a year the whole time? Maybe the 50 hours isn't believable. Has any maintenance been done on it or is it running with 10 year old motor oil, etc.? If it has some rust, has it been sitting out in the elements all that time?

/ Kubota advice #9  
If you need a backhoe... then you need to look for one with a backhoe.

If the backhoe work will be infrequent... you could rent for the occasional need.

The BX23 is designed as Tractor Loader Backhoe... only on a smaller scale then it's bigger brothers...

In my case, the Backhoe would have been a deal breaker... even though I only use it about a third of the time... I never take if off.

/ Kubota advice #10  
Hi All,

Thank you!

Another option is to buy new taking advantage of Kubota's 0% financing and KTAC insurance program. Take your 12K and use it to make the monthly payments. Dealers have a slush fund so you should be able to pick up a new BX25 for around 17K, your 12K will cover your for 3 1/2 years of payments.

I think 12K is a bit high seeing that new BX25's are around 17K.

Last edited: