[KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance
Crusher Run (we call that limerock road base) is a mix of material from dust upto maybe fist sized material, that when rolled, with proper moisture turns into a pretty monolithic, coherent base. This is pretty much the ideal material for a good base.

'Gravel' or washed, screened rock; doesn't really pack; this is what we call #57 or #89 or whatever, it kinda keeps moving as it doesn't have the fines to 'lock' everything together. The advantage of 'gravel' is because it doesn't pack well, it's essentially already packed. It doesn't settle in pipe ditch, and isnt affected by wet areas, however it will get pushed into a soft subgrade, and over time, your Gravel goes away. All the time, that Gravel being pushed into your subgrade, it does firm up the whole system.
Okay... but which one are you recommending then? I'll get both prices tomorrow.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #32  
Okay... but which one are you recommending then? I'll get both prices tomorrow.
So, that really depends on how representative your pictures are, your budget, and local prices. If you have the coin, and none of the area has a water issue (once ditches are cut); a 4"-6" min of crusher run road base for the entire width/length is going to do you wonders for years. If you have swampy low areas, or springs, gravel/washed rock isn't going to get soupy, as there are no fines; but road base/crusher run will.

If your trying to do get the most results with the least expense; adding a few inches of any stone/gravel/base to your bad areas will help; and as money flows, you can always add a few more loads every year; maybe stock pile a load or two to bucket material to any developing problems through out the year.

What I'm trying to say; there is the $2000 answer, the $20,000 answer, and a $120,000 answer.

The $2000 answer (maybe it's more like the $4k answer) is dig that ditch with used rear blade (maybe $350); get 3-4 loads of the cheapest rock type material available locally, place in the worst areas, only enough to get you through. Plan to continue spending another $2000/year on additional material each year.

The $20,000 Answer is cut that ditch, add cross drains, ect, order something like 20-30 loads of base/crusher run; and place approx 4" of that material down, 10 ft wide. Your still gonna need to add another $600/year probably to problem areas.

The $120,000 solution (pulled that number completely out of my butt); would be hire it done, ditch cut, culverts, ect; 6-8" of crusher run; 12 ft wide; maybe topped with something, or chip sealed. This would probably last 10+ years with zero maintenance;

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #33  
Awesome video! Really informative, thank you! We do have Woods and Land Pride nearby. Good to see Land Pride in the top list. Came across a used on for $800 with 5 feet.

Regarding weight, I understand the importance of weight but I suspect it must be a balance with my B3200 limitations: 32HP + R4 tires (did I get this right?) + loaded tires + 8" spacers + quick hitch.

Kubota lists box blade weight at 500 Lbs maximum. Is this a good number already to maintain a driveway? I suspect lack of weight would mean more passes? Or what would you recommend for a box blade length and weight for my package and total inexperience?

Here is the rear end of my tractor:
well, if I read it right, the B3200 is 23 hp so a 6 foot box would be a bit much for it to chew on. And yes, the book shows 500lbs implement weight but also says the 3 point can lift 1300lbs.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #34  
Dang bro... i don't want to tell you that I've been living here for almost 4 years and without a AWD car.... Yes, it is doable. Only got stuck once. But yeah... it looks a lot worse now than normal. Normally it only looks bad.

My plan is to rent excavator as needed - already have a french drainage project coming up this year.

I plan on playing with the excavator at the same time and try creating some drainage ditches - what bucket size would be the best for someone that doesn't know **** about what they are doing? A 9" 12" 18"?

Drainage on each side and 12' wide is not going to happen. God bless you and I hope one day we'll do it. But not for now.

Crowned x Sloped Road: could you expand a bit on this or point me to good literature that explains exactly the cons and pro's of each; costs differences; degree of complexity and energy spend building these two solutions? I need to understand this better.

View attachment 867961
View attachment 867962
View attachment 867963

My commitment to the cause is solid. I am even trying to learn as much as I can about all of this.
If your road , is as it appears, I would choose the 3rd drawing (but point the pink arrow the other way).No ditching required. See out sloping in attachment

Last edited:
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #35  
Dang bro... i don't want to tell you that I've been living here for almost 4 years and without a AWD car.... Yes, it is doable. Only got stuck once. But yeah... it looks a lot worse now than normal. Normally it only looks bad.

My plan is to rent excavator as needed - already have a french drainage project coming up this year.

I plan on playing with the excavator at the same time and try creating some drainage ditches - what bucket size would be the best for someone that doesn't know **** about what they are doing? A 9" 12" 18"?

Drainage on each side and 12' wide is not going to happen. God bless you and I hope one day we'll do it. But not for now.

Crowned x Sloped Road: could you expand a bit on this or point me to good literature that explains exactly the cons and pro's of each; costs differences; degree of complexity and energy spend building these two solutions? I need to understand this better.

View attachment 867961
View attachment 867962
View attachment 867963
Well hey, kudos to you sir. I don't understand how we don't see crazy ruts all of that drive in your pic, if you do drive on it daily?

Sorry if my first reply was harsh, I've learned over the years here to be blunt with newer members to get their perspectives aligned with the true challenges they will face, so I made the assumption that you were just getting started here.

Personally I like a proper full crown on the road bed, draining to each side. This is the best way to keep the road bed consistently drier, as it sheds water the best, and thus also lends itself to less erosion of your gravel material. However, in a bench cut into a hillside, this does mean that you need to add culverts periodically that will take the runoff water back under the road and away. These culverts can be tricky to get right, and do require maintenance over time - best if you can avoid them when possible. How long is your total drive, and how much length of it is bench cut into the hillside like the first pic? Edit: 955 yards?!? half a mile in that muck? Dang!

If not going with a full road crown, then outslope is easier to manage than inslope. Inslope means you are putting a LOT of water into your hillside ditch, that again needs to be evacuated before it's too crazy.

Enjoy your excavator rental! I always got mine (Bobcat E35, a ~8000 lb machine) with both a 12" and 24" bucket. The 12" bucket is for digging trees out, but at that narrow size, can clog up with clay sometimes. 24" is a good size for shaping ditches and slopes, but will make pulling trees out more difficult. Either way, get a hydraulic thumb as well, so that you can grab roots/stumps/trees and toss them around. With 2-3 days of work, you can definitely achieve a wider driveway bed, with shaped crown and uphill side ditches! You might need to put 20+ hours on the machine though. Plan for continuous work with it, and then cleaning things up with your tractor afterwards.

Maybe add your rough location to your user profile, so that everyone can see it on the left side of your posts. This will help us understand your soils/rocks, weather conditions, and local gravel options, which do vary quite a bit.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #36  
I'm gonna chime back in to STRONGLY recommend you stick with a 5' box blade for your B3200. 32 horsepower of engine can drag a 6' unit well in the right conditions, but your machine is very lightweight. Inertia is often what keeps a heavy pull moving through soil, not just rated power.
According to this, your machine is only 53" wide, so a 5' unit will cover your tracks well.

The general advice here on TBN is to buy the size box blade that covers your rear tire width by a couple inches, but don't go bigger. A 6' unit with the scarifiers down will easily stop your little B3200 dead in its tracks. A 5' probably will too, but a little less often, haha. The other factor is when driving through the forest, a 6' unit will bonk into trees more. Keep it tight.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #37  
By now, we've seen on TBN that any size tractor can do any project. It's just a function of how long it takes. To my eye, you need a bit larger tractor if this is not to be a recurring long term project.

If you want the most versatile implement, a 6 foot 3-way rear blade with tilt, angle, and offset is the standard. It pulls about like a 5 foot box blade. Adding the optional removeable End Caps to the rearblade allows that type of rear blade to work as either a box blade or grader blade. The 3-way adjustment allows you to do trenching, crowning, and reduces the pull force required when the load gets heavy.

That type of 3-way adjustable blade with optional end caps and maybe a gauge wheel is not only the most versatile, it is expensive. So be prepared. Land Pride makes them, or did. In either manual or power adjustable for the tilt, angle, and offset.

I think you can do without rippers based on your project photos.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance
well, if I read it right, the B3200 is 23 hp so a 6 foot box would be a bit much for it to chew on. And yes, the book shows 500lbs implement weight but also says the 3 point can lift 1300lbs.
It should be 32HP engine power. I believe the PTO is 23HP or something like that...

If your road , is as it appears, I would choose the 3rd drawing (but point the pink arrow the other way).No ditching required. See out sloping in attachment
Very good literature. Thank you!

And I totally see how the arrow in my drawing is misleading - yes, it should point reversed.

I am trying to learn more about the ditching and the complexity around doing it. But good to know there are simpler options without the ditching.

Thank you!

I made the assumption that you were just getting started here.
Your assumption is still correct, I am just getting started here.

Personally I like a proper full crown on the road bed, draining to each side. This is the best way to keep the road bed consistently drier, as it sheds water the best, and thus also lends itself to less erosion of your gravel material. However, in a bench cut into a hillside, this does mean that you need to add culverts periodically that will take the runoff water back under the road and away. These culverts can be tricky to get right, and do require maintenance over time - best if you can avoid them when possible.
Very clear and I am seeing my options a little better.

How long is your total drive, and how much length of it is bench cut into the hillside like the first pic? Edit: 955 yards?!? half a mile in that muck? Dang!
The total length is 955 yards. I need to measure lengths of road that are in desperate need of repair - not the entire length is bad.

If not going with a full road crown, then outslope is easier to manage than inslope. Inslope means you are putting a LOT of water into your hillside ditch, that again needs to be evacuated before it's too crazy.
Very clear. And thank you for the language: inslope x outslope. I believe outslope is this drawing here but with the arrow pointing to the correct direction:

Driveway Page 003.png

The 12" bucket is for digging trees out, but at that narrow size, can clog up with clay sometimes. 24" is a good size for shaping ditches and slopes, but will make pulling trees out more difficult. Either way, get a hydraulic thumb as well, so that you can grab roots/stumps/trees and toss them around.
Very good info, thank you.

Maybe add your rough location to your user profile, so that everyone can see it on the left side of your posts. This will help us understand your soils/rocks, weather conditions, and local gravel options, which do vary quite a bit.
Upstate NY.