[KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #81  
In my opinion, a multi-adjustable HD rear straight scraper blade is definitely the most versatile and useful, BUT, you really need a bigger, heavier tractor in order to do a lot of work with them. A small, light tractor can't carry and pull the 800+ lb blade that you need in order to cut into firm soil or materials. A generic 250 lb 5 or 6' scraper blade doesn't do much besides smooth out loose materials or plow snow; they just bounce along on anything firm.
I'm not that familiar with the size/weight of a B3200; but could he not run an 84" Rear scraper like KK HD-RB-84? It looks like it's around 700#, offers tilt, pivot, (maybe side shift, but not tool free side shift?), for $2200, with a 32hp, 4x4 machine?

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #82  
I'm not that familiar with the size/weight of a B3200; but could he not run an 84" Rear scraper like KK HD-RB-84? It looks like it's around 700#, offers tilt, pivot, (maybe side shift, but not tool free side shift?), for $2200, with a 32hp, 4x4 machine?
The Kubota B3200 sounds impressive at 32 HP, but it only weighs 1700 lbs. Without wheel spacers, only 53" wide too.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance
The Kubota B3200 sounds impressive at 32 HP, but it only weighs 1700 lbs. Without wheel spacers, only 53" wide too.

My B3200 has 8" spacers (4" on each side), a quick hitch and loaded tires.

If not a 7 feet rear blade, how about a King Kutter 6' Heavy Duty Rear Blade, # HD-RB-72?

32981689_1.png

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #84  
My B3200 has 8" spacers (4" on each side), a quick hitch and loaded tires.

If not a 7 feet rear blade, how about a King Kutter 6' Heavy Duty Rear Blade, # HD-RB-72?

View attachment 868739
So, that appears to be a well made, heavy, rear blade with pivot and tilt. I "think" there are two bolts/nuts on the back, that can be loosened and the entire moldboard shifted left or right by about 12 inches; basically allowing offset work (such as cleaning a ditch). I can't 100% confirm just looking at the pic though. Found a picture on Northern Tool, and it doesn't appear it can shift the blade left or right; but at 72", I dont Think that will be an issue.

Iron Craft I think offers a similar set up for comparison; Looks like Ironcraft 4406 is the comparable; which offers side shift, But only weights 340 lbs vs whatever the KK weights.

Last edited:
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance
I can't 100% confirm just looking at the pic though. Found a picture on Northern Tool, and it doesn't appear it can shift the blade left or right; but at 72", I dont Think that will be an issue.
I think you are correct, the KK does not seem to offer the offset adjustment.

Iron Craft I think offers a similar set up for comparison; Looks like Ironcraft 4406 is the comparable; which offers side shift, But only weights 340 lbs vs whatever the KK weights.
I see the offset pin on the Ironcraft and I can visualize how this adds more versality.

ironcraft-tractor-4400-series-grader-blades-detailed-3.png

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #86  
I think you are correct, the KK does not seem to offer the offset adjustment.

I see the offset pin on the Ironcraft and I can visualize how this adds more versality.
just to help add to the confusion 😋

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #87  
I'm several days late to this thread, but may I suggest the Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies as a how to resource?

materials estimator tool: https://dirtandgravel.psu.edu/general-resources/dglvr-materials-calculator/

They also have a number of technical bulletins all focused on common issues with building and maintaining gravel roads.

As for the box blade/rear blade question, I have a Yammar 226d 2wd and a Kubota L2501 4wd. The Yanmar will pull a 5.5' box blade, but the Kubota does much better due to the 4wd.

IMO, the box blade is much more useful than a dirt blade for basic road maintenance because you can drag gravel to where it's needed, and it's more user friendly when it comes to getting a smooth finish without digging in.

The dirt blade is better for when you need to cut the grade down or clean a ditch, but I just keep my box blade on the L2501 all the time for maintaining our gravel driveway.

I'd lean more towards 5' rather than 6'. If it's too wide relative to your tractor, you won't be able to use it to its full capacity. It's not just the weight of the implement, it's also the weight of gravel, plus friction, and having to contend with hills if you have them. 5' will cover about half of a normal road bed in one pass.

Last edited:
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #88  
Maybe someone can adapt this to their application:

I have a lightweight, ancient back blade. Trade name 'Carrington Terracer', but I don't know how it could cut terraces going across a hillside. No matter how much I set one of the 3-point arms lower, this doesn't cause that end of the blade to cut deeper. It's too light, and flexible. (Prior owner had this for snow).

Solution: Ballast added to the side that is supposed to cut. I have two more of these 70 lb wheel weights I could add, but this was sufficient for bringing back the gravel that had been tossed out of the roadway.

This pulls easily with the 4wd 18hp Yanmar.

img-20210322-01rbackbladeinlane-jpg.699999

I'm several days late to this thread, but may I suggest the Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies as a how to resource?
Actually yes! Someone linked a TB and from this TB I found the main program from PennState and it is very informative. The ESM Guide is comprehensive.

1715530468361.png

As for the box blade/rear blade question, I have a Yammar 226d 2wd and a Kubota L2501 4wd. The Yanmar will pull a 5.5' box blade, but the Kubota does much better due to the 4wd.

IMO, the box blade is much more useful than a dirt blade for basic road maintenance because you can drag gravel to where it's needed, and it's more user friendly when it comes to getting a smooth finish without digging in.

The dirt blade is better for when you need to cut the grade down or clean a ditch, but I just keep my box blade on the L2501 all the time for maintaining our gravel driveway.

I'd lean more towards 5' rather than 6'. If it's too wide relative to your tractor, you won't be able to use it to its full capacity. It's not just the weight of the implement, it's also the weight of gravel, plus friction, and having to contend with hills if you have them. 5' will cover about half of a normal road bed in one pass.
Thank you for sharing this!

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #90  
Dont know if our OP has purchased yet; but the Rhino 3505 60" Rear Blade 'seems' to offer pivot, tilt, and offset, for a pretty affordable price.