Kubota Backhoe

/ Kubota Backhoe #1  

alabamatoy

Tractor
An orange one
"There is nothing more exhilarating that being shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

Well, we were not shot at, but it was an exhilirating and infurating near miss anyway. 2014 Kubota L3901. I had a local Kubota dealership add a BH77 backhoe. When the backhoe is installed, there are 2 large pins which essentially hold the assembly in place on the mounting plates at the rear of the tractor. These pins each have a crosspin which is supposed to hold the big pin in place. Here's what mine looked like:

PXL_20230207_230455742.jpg

After a bit of vibration, you can guess what happens:
PXL_20230207_230515420.jpg

Now there's nothing holding the big pin in place. The manual is very clear about this:
PXL_20230209_175420679.jpg

The pins were installed by the dealer, but they put the keeper crosspin in the upper hole, not the lower hole as required by the manual. (I question why Kubota has this extremely dangerous design which makes such a mistake very likely to occur.) So after a few hours of operation, this happened: Backhoe accident (Sorry, I cannot post actual media here apparently. I hope linking to Rumble is not prohibited.) My friend's security camera just happened to record video of him as the entire backhoe came dis-attached from the mount, which launched him rearward towards the boom. The video shows him getting physically thrown onto the backhoe controls. Fortunately for him, he was running the machine at a fairly low RPM so he was able to get his body off the sticks and stop further movement of the boom. My buddy was not hurt (other than some temporary bruises and aches etc) but the outcome could have been MUUUUUCH worse.

My point in posting this is to urge everyone who has one of these to check and make sure the pins are properly installed. I am hopeful that our near disaster may be avoided by others.

/ Kubota Backhoe #2  
The manual shows two holes. Looks like you had it in the wrong one to keep the pin in. Either way I would cut that little rod off and put a bolt through it with the threads that go through the hole and a nice steel lock nut holding the bolt into the pin.

/ Kubota Backhoe #4  
The dealership put it in the wrong hole....
Based on some of the posts here, it's worthwhile to check even a new tractor over to ensure that all of the bolts were tightened and everything else seems OK. Just because they sell them doesn't mean they are put together properly.

/ Kubota Backhoe #5  
There should be a warning label in that general area.

Seems like an odd design. I like the design on my mahindra better.

/ Kubota Backhoe #7  
Is there any reason to have the upper hole? I can't imagine what it would be used for.

My L47 uses a similar arrangement but the locking pin drops straight down. Much safer design IMHO.

/ Kubota Backhoe #9  
You’re right, that could have been much worse accident. The manual should show the correct way to insert the mounting pins and where the keeper pins go.

Both my Kubota B26 and M59 backhoes have similar pins but the keeper pins fit in a lower hole/slot so gravity holds the keeper pins in place. Well designed, simple and strong attachment. Mounting pins go in from one side so the keeper pins mate with the right hole/slot. Thinking they go from the inside out but need to check.

Glad your friend didn’t get hurt bad.

/ Kubota Backhoe #10  
You’re right, that could have been much worse accident. The manual should show the correct way to insert the mounting pins and where the keeper pins go.

Both my Kubota B26 and M59 backhoes have similar pins but the keeper pins fit in a lower hole/slot so gravity holds the keeper pins in place. Well designed, simple and strong attachment. Mounting pins go in from one side so the keeper pins mate with the right hole/slot. Thinking they go from the inside out but need to check.

Glad your friend didn’t get hurt bad.
Kubota is usually better on little things like this. Maybe it was the design engineer's first job. Or maybe K hired the engineer who designed the oil filter placement on some GM cars...