KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION"

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #11  
I think I've seen just about anything that is heavy used! Concrete, sand, stones, steel, it really doesn't make to much difference unless you might like to use it for something else from time to time.

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #12  
Please excuse my ignorance but why is a ballast box needed?

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #13  
What size tractor do you have? I use a 55 gallon drum full to the top with cement, it's a little over 1000lbs. The larger the tractor the more weight you'll want. Some people will put PVC tubes into the box so it leaves a void that they can slide the handle of things like shovels into them so they can carry them easier.

Do you know if your tires are filled with fluid for weight? If not you can call up and ask how much it would cost to fill them. They will give you a price (and here's the important part) they will also give you how much weight it will add. If nothing else you can use that as a guide as to how much weight you'll want to put into the box. If the tires are filled you'll probably want to put less weight in the box.

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #14  
I had a 770 John Deere that I loaded the bucket with gravel or snow and with no ballast box this very light tractor never had an issue with the rear getting light. Is the rear getting light the issue?

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #15  

Do you mean vs filling the tires with something like Rim guard or do you just mean in general? If you mean using a ballast box instead of filling the rear tires it's so you can remove the weight when needed, say working on a lawn or some other soft ground where the weight isn't needed. Secondly the box adds the weight further back so it actually removes weight from the front axle.

If your question was why add weight then most (if not all) tractors do not have enough rear weight and when using the front loader you can easily lift the rear wheels off the ground. Weight also adds traction so when using a box blade or some other sort of ground engaging equipment it helps keep the wheels from spinning.

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #16  
last question Philip! I've heard guys load theirs with "lead", then cement, some just cement, others old weight lifting plates, ete, etc,etc. Any advice?

thanks

Lead? That is a new one on me. Lots of opinons here and lots of info if you search previous threads. Not sure which ballast box you have, but I have the Kubota L8170. With the box, about thirteen 80 pound bags of concrete, and water, my box weighs +/- 1250 pounds. Last thing I did was paint top Kubota orange! That's pretty heavy, heavy enough for my needs, but could be increased with other materials of higher density if required. I caulked mine on the inside first to minize leaking, and filled mine flush so I would not have to worry about freezing. Philip.

Attachments

• BALBOX01.jpg
    BALBOX01.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • BALBOX06.JPG
    BALBOX06.JPG
    959.4 KB · Views: 4,562
  • BALBOX08.jpg
    BALBOX08.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 630
   / KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #17  
I had a 770 John Deere that I loaded the bucket with gravel or snow and with no ballast box this very light tractor never had an issue with the rear getting light. Is the rear getting light the issue?

Crazyal pretty much covered it. We have one tractor that can get by with just loaded tires, but the rest do much better with loaded tires and ballast on the back.

You can add enough ballast on the 3 point in the form of a ballast box or other implement to give you good weight distribution. Your manual should make reference to this.

I like loaded tires as on our hill farms, loaded tires seem to make them more stable on side hills.

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #18  
Look over some of the threads the guys have submitted with their ballast boxes that have been adapted to carry tools etc. All done before they loaded them with concrete etc. Very ingenious adaptations. I personally like the idea of HD dollies on the bottom so I can move it around when not in use.

I guess what I am saying is........ look around some before you fill up with weight.

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #19  
"I guess what I am saying is........ look around some before you fill up with weight."

Well one more for my 'dumb question' category...should I buy a Kubota Ballast Box or make my own? The 1000 pound version-may or may not be the L8170- cost $450. That seems high for a steel box.

Is it worth it?

I was thinking of crating apples or pears with it. Heck-it may end up being an extremely expensive cat box for my 4.5 cats!

My "some day soon" to be delivered L3940 will have a HD bucket (probably the finest beer cooler on earth). At times it will be used to move 3/4-, so I can make a mess and see how much my sig-other can yell. I do live on a really tough hill so I have bio-balast in the tires. The ballast box seems like a good overall utility idea. I will not have to use my really expensive rototiller or flail and can hold extra beer & ice. Great for the church :):)

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #20  
Buster the ballast box is just a container. You can make your own with either a garbage can, 30 gal. or 55 gal. drum.

MarkV