Backhoe Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended

/ Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended #11  
Yes, I should have explained better. The three pieces extending up from the control valve. I only removed the one that controlled the circuit I was having the problem with. I had the locks for the BH in place so nothing would move when pressure was released (not sure if you would get any with valve in neutral anyway). Only got a small amount of hydraulic fluid when I took it apart. Should have taken a picture of it apart. Just be careful you do not lose any parts. If my memory serves me there was a spring and a plunger. There are just a few bolts to remove to get to the control linkage. I would then cycle the controls to see which circuit is for the bucket. I just actually purchased a service manual. I am going to go look if it has any info in there about the BH. I think it just covers the tractor. I will get back to you on this.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended #12  
Ok, nothing in the manual. Probably have to have the manual for the BH77 to get that info. May purchase one someday. I went out and looked and the bucket control section is the one all the way to the left in my picture. Does not have the extra piece on that section of the valve. A possibility is that something like dirt or debris from the new hose is trapped in that section of the valve from when you replaced the hose. I would probably test all the functions again. Do the outriggers lift the tractor off the ground? Can you lift the rear of the tractor with the boom and dipper stick? I doubt you can lift the tractor with the bucket curl out since it will not hold it's position. I would run the engine up to PTO speed and cycle all the controls multiple times to see if it will clear up the problem. Depending how far you want to dig into things, you could swap hoses with another circuit on the valve to rule out a problem with the cylinder and hoses. You do not see any leaks, correct? Fluid level is correct with everything in the retracted position? Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended
Thought you'd be interested to know the barrel's f-d up & that's tearing up the seals. It's all pitted I guess. Kubota's blowing me off but the dealer I purchased from is going to see what they can do. $580 quote to repair.

/ Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended #14  
HI Gary,

Same thing here with the B21 too. BTW, thought you would be in Africa now or very soon?

Carl
I just got back from a trip to Houston to visit the Angolan Embassy to turn in the paperwork for the Visa and get fingerprinted. It should be back Friday and I am scheduled to leave Wed May 1st if I can get the KBR medical director to approve my slightly elevated sugar levels. (I have diabetes) They are processing it along without the clearance so far, so good.

/ Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended #15  
Thought you'd be interested to know the barrel's f-d up & that's tearing up the seals. It's all pitted I guess. Kubota's blowing me off but the dealer I purchased from is going to see what they can do. $580 quote to repair.

Sorry to hear about the problem. I am in no means a hydraulic expert, but in the picture and video, I can not see any damage. Did the dealer tell you it is? Do you have the insurance that is required to finance through Kubota or did you pay cash? If you have the insurance, they may cover the damage. You may also want to check prices with a local hydraulic repair shop, because $580 seems high?? You may want to post some pictures and start a new thread to see what others think. I would post it in the Kubota owning and operating section or general hydraulic section. Thanks for letting me know what happened. I have wondered how you made out. Good luck, Russ

Sorry to hear about the problem. I am in no means a hydraulic expert, but in the picture and video, I can not see any damage.

Nor could I.

Did the dealer tell you it is?

Yes

Do you have the insurance that is required to finance through Kubota or did you pay cash?

Cash

If you have the insurance, they may cover the damage. You may also want to check prices with a local hydraulic repair shop, because $580 seems high?? You may want to post some pictures and start a new thread to see what others think. I would post it in the Kubota owning and operating section or general hydraulic section. Thanks for letting me know what happened. I have wondered how you made out. Good luck, Russ

Cylinder will arrive in PA tomorrow & the dealer I purchased from is going to see what they can do with Kubota.

/ Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended #17  
Canuck,

That cylinder is tough to scratch or beat up - so was this a "preexisting condition" ? I know I have inadvertently dropped a rock on the stabilizer shafts and so the left one leaks down a 1/2" a week but doesn't leak much if any at all.

When I got my B21 the left bucket cylinder started dripping fluid at 10 hours - the dealer removed and replaced the seals. That worked for about 300 hours and then it started to weep oil again - well beyond the warranty period - and that's the only one that leaks other than the damage I have done. It's like a $50 repair for seals and O-rings and seals for 2 so not a big deal.

Hope yours gets resolved and which dealer do you work with - MB or Chappell?

Canuck,

That cylinder is tough to scratch or beat up - so was this a "preexisting condition" ? I know I have inadvertently dropped a rock on the stabilizer shafts and so the left one leaks down a 1/2" a week but doesn't leak much if any at all.

When I got my B21 the left bucket cylinder started dripping fluid at 10 hours - the dealer removed and replaced the seals. That worked for about 300 hours and then it started to weep oil again - well beyond the warranty period - and that's the only one that leaks other than the damage I have done. It's like a $50 repair for seals and O-rings and seals for 2 so not a big deal.

Hope yours gets resolved and which dealer do you work with - MB or Chappell?

I can only assume the problem was pre-existing. I bought the tractor in October 2012 with only 19.8 hours on it. It now has almost 32 hours. The BH can't have many hours on it! I've used it less than 2!! My local dealer is Pinnacle View but I purchased used from Marshall Machinery in PA. They've been great & I hope they can help me out as this ought to be covered.

/ Kubota BH77 bucket won't stay extended #19  
Well, I hope the dealer takes care of it for you. Is there still some warranty left? Seems like if it is a 2011, there would be.

Last edited:
Well, I hope the dealer takes care of it for you. I there still some warranty left? Seems like if it is a 2011 there would be.

Thank you! I hope so too!!!