Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #1  

JoeL3240

I am thinking about purchasing a Kubota L3240 with a BH90 Backhoe. The salesperson is trying to get me to select the Bh75A, because he says the weight of the BH90 could be too much for this tractor. I would appreciate the opinion of someone who has been using a L3240 with a BH90 backhoe. Do you feel that the extra weight has caused any problems when traveling, going up or down hills or with the tractor when operating the backhoe. I would also like to have liquid weight placed in the tires, will this stabilize the tractor. Should I just step up to a 3940.

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #2  
Joe,

As a follow up to the PM that you sent me, just as I'd recommend the 724 loader over the 514, I'd recommend the BH90 over the BH75. In both cases, you gain dramatically more capacity and ability (almost 50%) for not much additional cost and weight. I think a better way to look at it is maximizing the L3240 to its full capabillity. It is more than able to handle both the 724 and BH90.

Now, all that said, I've only had mine for a little over a month. I haven't had much opportunity to use the backhoe yet because the ground is still frozen here. After we get past the spring thaw, I have a multi-page list of things that I'll be using it for. The additional reach and capacity of the BH90 will definitely come in handy. So far though, I have not been disappointed in the tractor and loader.

Perhaps some others can add their thoughts here. TalonDancer, if you come across this thread, you may be able to describe some of the feats that you've accomplished with yours!

Thanks,
Chris

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #3  
The BH75 is a small hoe on that big tractor. The size & weight of that machine should be able to handle the BH90 without any problem, and I've not heard of anyone going with the BH75, but have heard of quite a few going with the BH90.

Since the BH90 is an option for that machine, I'd say go for it if you want it. Kubota doesn't agree with your dealer. I personally wouldn't get the BH75 on that machine. Nothing against the BH75, as I've ordered it with my B3030.

32 hp is no slouch if your close to sea level. I've used an L35 (which is heavier than an L3240 TLB) with only 1-2 more hp, at 8500' above sea level, and really tested it's power doing stop & go on some pretty steep slopes with big bucket loads, and it didn't miss a beat.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #4  
Get the BH90. My guess is that the Dealer is uninformed or has a BH75 he is trying to get rid of.

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #5  
I wouldn't load the tires with the 90 unless it was proven to be needed.

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #6  
art said:
I wouldn't load the tires with the 90 unless it was proven to be needed.

I agree, as long as the backhoe is on most of the time. In my case, I'll be doing a lot of earth work with box blades and grader blades and such...so I had the tires loaded for traction. I'm impressed at how much more stable this tractor is compared to some other similar ones that I've rented in the past.

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #7  
cschlaps said:
...TalonDancer, if you come across this thread, you may be able to describe some of the feats that you've accomplished with yours!...
Chris is right on!

I love my GL3240 with BH90 and can't imagine why a dealer would suggest it is too much BH for a 3240. IMHO the Gl3240 and BH90 are perfectly matched. The extra weight of the HD BH90 subframe balances the GL3240 even without additional weight (e.g. loaded tires) when the BH90 is attached. You may need more weight on each rear implement (e.g. box blade) in some soil conditions. FWIW I run with unloaded tires.

Do a search on "Talon BH90" to see details of what I've done with my GL3240 with a LA724 & BH90. In summary, during the first 6 months of ownership I put over 200 hours on my GL3240 on various projects including excavating over 170 tons of limestone, caliche, etc. for two 10,000 gal water storage tanks embedded in a hill side.

Good luck - Talon Dancer

Last edited:
   / Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #8  
Anybody know if there are mechanical thumb options for either or both of
these BH models?

Also this being my 1st tractor/Backhoe what would be good size bucket to start with 12,16,18" ?
Initially I plan to do some trench cleaning, digging, and stump digging, tree planting... oppps this list is getting
longer

Last edited:
   / Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #9  
Bro-tek makes a thumb that people here seem pretty pleased with. It's about $400, and I'm getting pretty close to ordering one.

As for bucket size, I have an 18", which is pretty big - it moves a lot of dirt quickly (translation = big holes!). For the things I have planned, it seems appropriate. A 16" might be a better all-around bucket, and I'd recommend a 12" if you plan on doing a lot of trenching. Last weekend, I planted 9 8'-14' mixed pine trees, which required holes that were 48" across and 42" deep. With the machine, it took less than 5 minutes to dig. By hand, it would have taken me 4+ hours in this rocky soil. I've also been digging stumps like a madman lately, while I prep my backyard for grass seed. It only takes 15 minutes or so to dig up a 12-18" diameter tree.

Anyone with a BH90 out there...how much leak down is normal once you have a few hours of use on it?

Chris

/ Kubota BH90 or BH75A Backhoe #10  
cschlaps said:
Bro-tek makes a thumb that people here seem pretty pleased with. It's about $400, and I'm getting pretty close to ordering one.

As for bucket size, I have an 18", which is pretty big - it moves a lot of dirt quickly (translation = big holes!). For the things I have planned, it seems appropriate. A 16" might be a better all-around bucket, and I'd recommend a 12" if you plan on doing a lot of trenching. Last weekend, I planted 9 8'-14' mixed pine trees, which required holes that were 48" across and 42" deep. With the machine, it took less than 5 minutes to dig. By hand, it would have taken me 4+ hours in this rocky soil. I've also been digging stumps like a madman lately, while I prep my backyard for grass seed. It only takes 15 minutes or so to dig up a 12-18" diameter tree.

Anyone with a BH90 out there...how much leak down is normal once you have a few hours of use on it?

Chris

Very good, think I'll order the 12" Bucket to start, I can always get a 18" later on.
Appreciate the info.
Clint