Kubota Bx question

/ Kubota Bx question
I'm not sure what the temp is, don't have an infrared gun. To clarify, the hills in the yard are not super steep.

I mowed the back yard in low range today and it was good, it just takes quite a bit longer. In low range it is a smoother ride though as the yard is bumpy and can pop you up off the seat if going too fast.

/ Kubota Bx question #22  
I'm not sure what the temp is, don't have an infrared gun. To clarify, the hills in the yard are not super steep.

I mowed the back yard in low range today and it was good, it just takes quite a bit longer. In low range it is a smoother ride though as the yard is bumpy and can pop you up off the seat if going too fast.

You should be able to go the same speed in low or high up to a point where the high will then go a faster top speed than low. I never reach or rarely reach the maximum ground speed of the low on BXs and M on Bs and Ls. So, if your going 4.3mph in low or high it shouldn't take any longer to mow in low than high. If your doing some bursts of 12 mph then the high may do it faster since low won't go that fast but I doubt the quality of cut and durability of kidneys at the higher than the highest speed in low but some say they do. I have a converted field to yard that has lots of limestone growth and dead tree stump valleys (holes) and just general rises and falls in my "yard" so I am not able to do "high speed" mowing. Plus jars to my spine seem to hurt more now than they used to.
I don't totally under stand transmissions that operate by all gears and for sure don't understand these HST transmissions that are operating a lot thru hydraulic fluid vs metal to metal gears meshing together. The value/benefit of operating then with a bit higher engine rpms and utilizing higher speeds for the lower gears vs slower speeds for higher gears is beyond my level of knowledge comfort. I just know how they seem to operate for me after many years and a few different HST transmission machines.
Go forth and mow and be happy and go as fast as you want in the gear of your choice but listen to the sounds of your engine and transmission and make decisions appropriate for you that will let you sleep better at night.

/ Kubota Bx question #23  
If I'm on smooth ground, mowing in low range is just a little to slow, but not much. The problem is my yard is pretty rough so that control my speed more than anything else.

Last edited:
   / Kubota Bx question #24  
I use high here whenever I can with my BX25. I only switch to low if I have some serious pushing or pulling to do, like getting into a pile of dirt. Even when moving snowbanks I mostly stay in high gear.

/ Kubota Bx question #25  
My BX lived in H range-mowing, plowing snow, and everything except for serious FEL work. With the B I have now, M is used for snow, finish mowing, and light bush hogging. L is for heavy bush hogging, roto tilling and dirt work. H is simply a travel gear.

Will

/ Kubota Bx question #26  

This probably says something about the problem you described in your first post. If it now "takes quite a bit longer" to get the mowing done, maybe you were going at it pretty fast when you had it in High range. Keep it in Low range and take it easy since you've got some kind of a hill going on and it's bumpy. Also, the seat belt will keep you on the seat; buckling up is a good idea anyhow, given the conditions.

/ Kubota Bx question #27  
I use high here whenever I can with my BX25. I only switch to low if I have some serious pushing or pulling to do, like getting into a pile of dirt. Even when moving snowbanks I mostly stay in high gear.

My BX lived in H range-mowing, plowing snow, and everything except for serious FEL work. With the B I have now, M is used for snow, finish mowing, and light bush hogging. L is for heavy bush hogging, roto tilling and dirt work. H is simply a travel gear.

Will
You guys must not have hills, running in High?