Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem?

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #1  

brownsa

Tractor
Kubota BX1500
I just started having a problem with my BX1500 going up hills in 2wd - it seems like the transmission is "slipping" - it is worse up steep hills and not noticeable on gentle ones. Also, when engaged in 4wd, it seems to help, the front wheels seem to pull through. Any thoughts? Does the transmission have adjustments to correct this? Is it possible to do these myself or do I have to take to a dealer?

Thanks

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #2  
Are you in high or low range? How many hours is on the tractor? Have you had a HST fluid change if so How many hours ago?

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #3  
Check and make sure you have the correct air pressure in the rears.
Are the rears loaded?
It's not unusual for the wheels to spin inside the tires under the right (really wrong) conditions.

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #5  
I'll also ask if you are in low range? My BX2350 struggles going up really steep hills unless it is in low. In low range I will go up just about any hill if the traction is there.

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #6  
I also suspect you have it in high range. If so, put it in low range. Also 4WD should be used going up or down hills for pulling power and braking, that's what it's for.

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem?
I am in low range. It is due for hydro service/fluids. This is a new issue, never had this problem (other than spinning tires which the diff lock corrects).

Thanks for the comments.

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #8  
Hmm- I have several thoughts here. If you say you are due for fluid service soon, changing the tranny filter without changing the fluid for troubleshooting wont hurt anything. Just make sure you replace it again with new fluid when you are ready to do the service. Its possible the filter is full to point where its pluggin up.

The other thought is you didnt say whats the rpm you have it at going up the hill. were you able to make it up the hill before with same tractor ? I hope you are always using low gear for hills with rpms higher then 2200.

How is the engine running going up hills ? lugging ?

When going up the hills, its possible the releif valve is kicking in early which indicate a possible weak spring. You could replace the spring, but then you might need to add shims to bring up to specs, so if you don't have the test gauge for hydraulic, it might be better to take it to the dealer to check the pressure and replace spring and add shims as needed.

However if you disregard my thoughts above and focus on the part where diff lock helps, are you going up the hill at a angle, is it possible the path is worn out causing one side to be soft and other hard causing the differentail to kick in? I can't tell from your posts.

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #9  
If you think it may a plugged screw on filter dont forget the strainer that is on the suction line. It will destroy your HST if you run it with low fliud flow very long. Just a heads up.

/ Kubota BX1500 Transmission Problem? #10  
ah yes-- forgot about checking the strainer as well.