kubota bx1500d won't engage pto

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #1  

dh206

Tractor
Kubota BX2350, John Deere 322
For some reason my pto engage lever doesn't engage pto any more. I have topped off the hydraulic fluid, and it's okay (was 1-2 quarts low). I tried manually turning the PTO shaft and it turns freely when pto select is in neutral, but it still won't engage. I tried moving it just a little bit and engaging several times in case it was out of alignment in some way, to see if that might help.

Also I notice the PTO engage lever is actually quite loose and drifts towards on (but won't engage).

Any thoughts?

I'm not a tractor maintenance expert by any means. I found this article and wondering how applicable it is to my situation with the Kubota, or any other tests I might be able to run to diagnose the issue.

How To Test a PTO Clutch.

Of note, the rear lift arms work fine, as well as speed control, steering, etc.

Last edited:
   / kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #2  
I would look closely at the PTO lever linkage. If it is lose or floppy, most likely it is not turning the shaft that puts the PTO in gear.

There should be a pin or bolt that goes through the linkage and shaft. These sometimes shear creating the issues you are seeing. Good luck!

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto
I would look closely at the PTO lever linkage. If it is lose or floppy, most likely it is not turning the shaft that puts the PTO in gear.

There should be a pin or bolt that goes through the linkage and shaft. These sometimes shear creating the issues you are seeing. Good luck!

Since I'm not intimately familiar with the parts, do you have a diagram I can reference? I know where to look, over the left rear wheel, and I think I have found one problem immediately, that the spring that holds the handle from just gently falling down towards engage is most likely missing/broken, so that's one thing I can fix for certain. I could use a pictorial representation of the parts with names though.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing the position spring, (popped off or broke recently) (90)

Capture.PNG

Ps - if anybody has an alternative spec for that spring that is off the shelf (e.g. could get at an autoparts or tractor supply), that'd be appreciated too. That's quite a premium they want. ($30)

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #4  
I do not have a diagram. What I would do is work the lever back and forth while looking under the tractor. You should be able to see what is not moving and be able to figure out what needs to move.

Sometimes it helps to have someone move the lever for you so you can lay under the tractor and look. With the key in your pocket of course! Lol

I do not have a diagram. What I would do is work the lever back and forth while looking under the tractor. You should be able to see what is not moving and be able to figure out what needs to move.

Sometimes it helps to have someone move the lever for you so you can lay under the tractor and look. With the key in your pocket of course! Lol

This is one of those times it sure would be handy to have a working tractor side by side with mine so I could scoot back and forth to compare working vs non-working so I had a point of comparison of good vs not-good. I guess I can start with the spring, though I don't think that that should be critical with the fact that it won't engage. (it's important for preventing a spurious engagement, though)

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #6  
Maybe take some picture and run to the dealer and see if they have any tractors to look at. And get your parts........

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #7  
When I had the BX1850 my linkage got filled with dirt and mud. I don稚 recall if I was able to clean it out without removing rear tire or not. I do remember being easier to see linkage with the tire off.

Either way I believe just simple lever attached to shaft to engage PTO valve.

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #8  
I am not familiar with the BX1500D, but you mentioned the PTO select lever. Does the BX1500D have multiple PTOs, i.e. rear and belly? If so does the other PTO work?

Doug in SW IA

yes, it has a belly/front PTO (mower deck, snow blower) and a rear PTO for the 3ph. the select lever controls whether front is engaged, rear is engaged, or both. None of them work because it has become clear that the shaft that pushes in and engages the PTO clutch was completely out of the hole in the lever. The clevis pin is missing!

So, I have a couple of pins on order, will put the shaft through the lever, and then PTO engage will work.

2nd problem is that there's a tension spring that goes on the cam. I'm not sure really what purpose the cam serves, except maybe to provide a little bit of tension and reduce play in the engage lever, so the spring is on order. I found a place that sells the original part for $3 vs the replacement part that is about $28 (basically the same spring). plus $18 shipping, of course.
Now, getting these both in there is going to be tough. Even with the wheel off there isn't a lot space in there.. I might have to take the entire fender off to get at it, which looks like quite a few bolts. But, it does look like the fix is relatively simple. (I was dreading having to replace the PTO clutch)

2.jpg3.jpg

/ kubota bx1500d won't engage pto #10  
That is great news! Glad you figured out the problem. Just take your time replacing the parts and you will be fine.