Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #21  
timswi,

Which deck do you have on your kubota?

sw03,

I did some reading and seems that you have the standard 60" deck. However, in one of your posts you did not think much of a 54" fine cut. Any reasons for that?

I am getting the 54" fine cut with the mulching deck, I always mulched and won't do it any other way. I also had a Simplicity Citation ZTR for few seasons and deep decks have a great advantage to getting a quality cut and less clips that are visible. My current Exmark Turf Tracer HP also has the mulch kit 52" with a 17HP Kawi and it is simply incredible when it comes to cutting. Except, I do have to do the walking which got old after one season with it. :)

So, I guess I'll have to wait and see this coming summer and will post pictures of the results.

I actually have the 54" I love it. No issue with it. Keeping the blades sharp is the most important thing as others have stated. Also set the anti-scalp wheels correctly.

Grass comes out of that thing like a fire hose when it gets deep, so I have to cut mine like a checkerboard to clean it up. I don't have a stripe roller but the deck gives the illusion of stripes.

Tim

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #22  
I actually have the 54" I love it. No issue with it. Keeping the blades sharp is the most important thing as others have stated. Also set the anti-scalp wheels correctly.

Grass comes out of that thing like a fire hose when it gets deep, so I have to cut mine like a checkerboard to clean it up. I don't have a stripe roller but the deck gives the illusion of stripes.

Tim

Funny I had removed the wheels on my 60 years ago...before my mod you can play with deck leveling to get semi-stripes but not close to a roller. Also grass type plays a huge role. AKA, a person in Texas will not get close to a Northeast guy (since I own homes in both).

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #23  
Hello all, new owner and waiting for delivery of a BX1860 with FEL and RB.

So did you get the new tractor yet?? we want photos.:D

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy
Hello all, new owner and waiting for delivery of a BX1860 with FEL and RB.

So did you get the new tractor yet?? we want photos.:D

Well, I did but delivery will take place in 2010 first or second week of January. Pictures are definitly due when delivered. :)

You do know the simplicty is onley a garden tractor but bx1860 is a sub compact don't you ?

Yes I did and it is the reason I am getting it, I am sure I'll be very happy with the results. :)

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #26  
I'll start by saying i love my BX1860!!

now to your questions about the quality of cut...

I used to have a BX2230 with 60MMM....Very nice job of mowing and I acheived some pretty good stripes without any modifications...of course, not as good as a full roller deck like the Simplicity, but still pretty good.

Next I added a JD LX279 with the 42" Freedom Series deck (dedicated mulcher). This also gave me some pretty nice stripes, and also a bit better cut. It also mulched so well that it looked like I had vacuumed the lawn.

I then sold the JD and traded the BX2230 for a new BX1860, this time with a 48" fine cut deck and the mulching kit. The cut with the mulching kit was not very good in my opinion. perhaps it was my type of grass, but no matter how sharp my blades were or how much blade tip speed I had, it still "chewed" at the grass and left plenty uncut. From a distance its fine, but up close (in my BX seat) I was not happy with the quality of cut.

After plenty of frustration, I removed the mulch plug and reinstalled the stock blades (there are special blades that come with the mulch kit). After that, my excellent cut was back. The BX does a great job of finely cutting the grass, so there are no "wind rows". The only downfall is I don't get that vacuumed look since I am spitting the leaves and pinecones out the side instead of chopping them into oblivion.

My experience so far.....the mulch kits stinks, but the tractor capability makes up for it. I am tempted to give the mulch plug another try in the spring, but I have not been able to find a suitable alternative blade (like a gator) to try out.

have fun with your new toy :)

Well, I guess time will time. It is getting close and hopefully the tractor will be delivered on Sunday. Will make sure to get some pics and post them.