Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #1  

BuckeyeWilly

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
My old BX24 just started running badly with tons of white smoke. I think it was bought in 2004 and has done a lot of work for me with very few problems. I have managed to fix any issues it ever had and never had it back to the dealership. No idea how many hours are on it as meter hasn't worked in years. A good friend said check the fuel injectors as he had the same problem on one of his big tractors and a new injector took care of it.

The back injector did affect the running. When I would loosen it the tractor seemed to run better with little smoke. So I bought 3 new injectors (found a good deal) and replaced all 3. I also went ahead and replaced both fuel filters. Put it back together and the problem still exists. I am beginning to fear the worse for the ole girl. I use the 24 setup strictly with loader and backhoe to take care of 17 acres. It has done a ton of work for me, cannot complain. I bought a BX2370 a couple of years ago strictly for mowing.

Any ideas? I hate to buy a new tractor right now. Just recovering from a heart attack and then bypass surgery so being extra careful being out in public. Not near back to my old self yet

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #2  
Drain the tank and put fresh diesel fuel in it. Sounds like it has a dose of gasoline in the tank.

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #3  
Coolant leaking into the cylinder because 1) blown head gasket (preferred) or 2) cracked cylinder head (don't want that one).

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #4  
... and you keep running it, it will destroy the head eventually.

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #5  
Do a compression test.

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke
Listening to your replies I am thinking I have reached my limit as far as troubleshooting and fixing the tractor. I will see if I can find a good diesel man close by and get it to him. Would hate to have to get rid of it. Loader and backhoe are in good shape. Possibly find an engine for it if it comes to that. Thanks guys !!

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #7  
Loosing coolant? How does it start cold and warm?

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #8  
With a diesel engine, black smoke is a fuel issue, while white smoke is a coolant issue. That is a pretty simple rule of diesel mechanics, but it really holds true.

As other have said, it is probably a blown head gasket. That is an easy fix though, and not that expensive.

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke
Update. Tractor is at dealership. Cracked block, head gasket etc. Estimate of $2800. tractor is 15 years old so do i go ahead and rebuild the motor or bite the bullet on a new one at roughly $19250 equipped with loader and backhoe.

/ Kubota BX24 running rough, lots of white smoke #10  
^^ If you can handle it, I'd suggest go new. Try to sell the old one to someone who needs a fixer upper and has the ability to do so. Or is that price with some sort of trade?

Just an FYI though, mine was less than that including a 48" tiller.