Buying Advice Kubota compared to John Deere

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #11  
I have both, a kubota and john deere, the john deere cab is much quieter and is more comfortable.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #12  
I have both, a kubota and john deere, the john deere cab is much quieter and is more comfortable.

Which models do you have?

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #13  
Of course the fit was a big item, other than that for me it was three things. The first is Kubota makes it's tractor (well not the tires and some odds and end small parts). But the engine, transmission, frame, body, etc. To me that means something. I wouldn't buy a car or motorcycle from a company that doesn't make it's own engines either.

The second may or may not be true, didn't do my own homework to prove it. I have a friend who runs a local municipal garage. His job is to maintain their fleet of trucks and the equipment they use. He said he's been moving away from Deere towards other brands because he's found it costs more to keep the Deere equipment running. Basically the parts seam to cost more.

They now have Kubota tractors for doing a lot of the larger ground work at the parks and other town own properties and Cub Cadet (not the box store models) tractors to do things like mowing. They also have a few zero turn mowers. I know several people who own both Kubota and NH and both seam to be solid tractors.

Finally I plan on keeping my tractor for a long time. I looked around at what brands held their value. Kubota seamed to do well.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #14  
Which models do you have?

08 kubota 4240
07 jd 4520
I wear earplugs in the kubota in the jd I dont need them.
The jd has more hp, I like the kubota loader better.
The cx400 loader on the jd is self leveling, but the kubota seems built better.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #15  
My deciding factor was the dealership . I started at the Deere dealership and was really disappointed in the sales experience . They seemed like they really did not want to sell me a tractor . The salesman never got up from his desk to show me the tractor I was interested in .

I had the complete opposite experience at the Kubota dealer . Sales man was very friendly and allowed me plenty of time to check out the tractors I was interested in .

Ended up buying a Kubota and have been very happy .

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #16  
Both are high quality tractors from what I can tell. I bought my first Kubota in 1985 or so and at the time it seemed to be of equal quality to the small NHs and Deeres but cost a bit less. It seems to be the same today and that comes down to the fact that Kubota manufacture the small tractors while the other traditional high quality brands do not. It is amazing what avoiding one markup does for pricing.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #17  
With no tractor experience or knowledge I went to a JD and a Kubota dealer. The JD dealer didn't have the tractor on the lot and wanted a deposit to bring one over. I bought a Kubota.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #18  
I got some money from a land sale and wanted to retire my 1950 Ford 8N. I did not care which color, just wanted best value from reptuable brand.

Conditions: 40-ish horsepower, HST trans, R3 tires, front snow blade.

1st looked at New Holland 3040. Pros: Buddy has one that I have used a little and liked. Great reputaion. Has connection back to Ford. Cons: Dealer 20 miles away. $26230.

2nd looked at JD 3720. Pros: Have two JD lawn mowers and like. Great reputation. Great parts availability. Dealer 15 miles away (but only 2 miles from work). Cons: Everyone and thier brother has one (I like to be different). 3 cylinder turbo (I did not want 3 cylinder or turbo). Smaller frame. $24700.

3rd looked at Kubota L3940. Pros: Great reputation. HST+ features. Dealer 3 miles away. Cons: There aren't any! $23080 (connectionos with dealer may have led to better price)

Briefly looked at MF but did not seriously consider.

IMO, Kubota was best value for money within the brands I thought as most reptuable and dependable, and closest dealer. Enough cannot be said for a close dealer, no matter what manufacturer you choose.

I have had my L3940 for a year and a half now. Drove buddy's NH a few months back, still a nice tractor, but not as nice as my L3940 with HST+. Went to State Fair last fall and sat on JD3720 to make sure I made right decision. I did make the right decision, JD3720 felt small, has small tires, and stickers on dash were pealing off. Mechanically, I am sure the JD3720 is a good tractor, just was not right for my application (plus everyone and their brother has a green tractor, I like to be different).

Philip

PS, Still have the 8N. NOT FOR SALE!

Last edited:
   / Kubota compared to John Deere #19  
When I was a kid I played on the Johnny Poppper at Grandpa's farm. My uncle had green tractors. My other uncle may have had JD but we did not visit them as much. I like the color green more than orange. How is that for a silly reason to buy a tractor? I did borrow a new MF from a friend and I like it. I supposed JD, Kubota or MF would have worked just fine but my JD Yanmar has served me well the past 13 years.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #20  
I got some money from a land sale and wanted to retire my 1950 Ford 8N. I did not care which color, just wanted best value from reptuable brand.

Conditions: 40-ish horsepower, HST trans, R3 tires, front snow blade.

1st looked at New Holland 3040. Pros: Buddy has one that I have used a little and liked. Great reputaion. Has connection back to Ford. Cons: Dealer 20 miles away. $26230.

2nd looked at JD 3720. Pros: Have two JD lawn mowers and like. Great reputation. Great parts availability. Dealer 15 miles away (but only 2 miles from work). Cons: Everyone and thier brother has one (I like to be different). 3 cylinder turbo (I did not want 3 cylinder or turbo). Smaller frame. $24700.

3rd looked at Kubota L3940. Pros: Great reputation. HST+ features. Dealer 3 miles away. Cons: There aren't any! $23080 (connectionos with dealer may have led to better price)

Briefly looked at MF but did not seriously consider.

IMO, Kubota was best value for money within the brands I thought as most reptuable and dependable, and closest dealer. Enough cannot be said for a close dealer, no matter what manufacturer you choose.

I have had my L3940 for a year and a half now. Drove buddy's NH a few months back, still a nice tractor, but not as nice as my L3940 with HST+. Went to State Fair last fall and sat on JD3720 to make sure I made right decision. I did make the right decision, JD3720 felt small, has small tires, and stickers on dash were pealing off. Mechanically, I am sure the JD3720 is a good tractor, just was not right for my application (plus everyone and their brother has a green tractor, I like to be different).

Bold = same here :thumbsup: