Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!!

/ Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!! #1  

vsredneck

Tractor
Kubota L345DT
I have always wanted to install a frost-plug block heater in my 1982 Kubota L345DT, engine model V1501-DA. This engine was manufactured before Kubota started manufacturing engines with a threaded port built into the engine block for the purpose of quickly installing a thread-in block heater. Without explaining why, the Kubota parts book claims they offer no frost-plug heater, only one that installs in the lower radiator hose. Not knowing if there was adequate clearance behind any of the three 1.25-inch diameter frost-plugs located on the left side of the engine. I checked around, including checking TractorByNet Forums, until finally locating a senior Kubota mechanic who insisted he had installed frost-plug block heaters in those earlier model L345DT engines. He further advised using the middle plug. Well, his memory was wrong, wrong, wrong! I first pulled the middle frost-plug and discovered that there is only about one-quarter inch of clearance between it and the #2 cylinder sleeve. I then pulled the front plug and discovered exactly the same clearance between it and the #1 cylinder sleeve. Without pulling the third plug I was able to inspect, through the middle frost-plug hole, the clearance behind the third plug. It was the same, about 0.25-inches, far less than what's needed for installation of a frost-plug block heater. Luckily, I had on hand two replacement frost-plugs that I bought as insurance against the mechanic being wrong, popped them in, and was back operating in no time. I'm posting this thread to assist any folks considering the same thing. It can't be done! You'll have to stick with a lower radiator hose heater.

Last edited:
   / Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!! #2  
Re: Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!!

....... I'm posting this thread to assist any folks considering the same thing......
I ran into this too when installing a heater like this one. I added a pipe nipple and coupling for more clearance - worked ok.

Attachments

• freeze plug block heater.jpg
    freeze plug block heater.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
   / Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!!

You have a later model tractor manufactured with a threaded port in the engine block to accept thread-in heaters. The block heater you show and the extension you rigged will not work in frost-plug openings of earlier models such as mine. Thanks, nonetheless, for your comment.

/ Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!! #4  

My tractors (L5450's) both have non-threaded freeze plug holes. The brass adapter bushing that comes with the heater is also smooth and tapered on the male end - no threads.

If your holes are different size it wouldn't fit, but depth isn't the reason.

With a close nipple in the adaper's female end and a coupling for the heater to turn into, the parts can be tightened together and pushed into the taper (using permanent loctite). I used the middle hole but it would work ok wherever there's nothing outside in the way.

/ Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!! #5  
Over the years I have installed the KATS lower radiator house recirculating unit a number of times with much success. It's a "Y" type thing in that the main part connects to the lower hose and the other part intended for a heater hose or block connection. This setup causes the coolant to circulate very well and kept my engines warmer than with a block heater. If you have a block drain on this tractor I'll bet this would work very well.

What you describe I have never heard of and is brilliant! However, I'm concerned that the protruding two or three inches (am I right or is there more?) of plumbing, if hit with much of a blow, would dislodge the entire apparatus from the frost-plug hole. For me this is a real issue. I use the tractor mostly for logging and, despite a skid plate and other protective armor that I have installed, I'm afraid that eventually a branch or something will hit the apparatus. I'd really appreciate any additional thoughts.

Sixdogs, I thank you! Although I have never seen such a radiator hose heater, I can recognize immediately how it could overcome the poor performance I have experienced with standard lower radiator hose heaters. I'll look into it. Thanks again!

/ Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!! #8  
Sixdogs, I thank you! Although I have never seen such a radiator hose heater, I can recognize immediately how it could overcome the poor performance I have experienced with standard lower radiator hose heaters. I'll look into it. Thanks again!

It's been number of years and they may have evolved these a bit but here a picture of one from the net. You need an in and an out for the heat pump to circulate and it works excellent. I recall one model that seemed to go from the large rad hose as well but any of them work great. On my plow truck or car I could get in and the heater instantly tossed hot air. On a tractor it worked well enough to warm the transmission oil a little bit as well and I lived in northern New England at the time. This is just what everyone used and I left it on overnight. Everyone did.

61EaOPW9SIL__SL1500_.jpg

I got this off of Amazon that had one for sale. Those lower hose heaters have never worked for me or anyone I know.

Amazon.com: Kat's 13150 1500 Watt Aluminum Circulating Tank Heater: Automotive

rbargeron, I guess my reply of a few days ago didn't get through to you. Anyway, thanks! I didn't understand. What you describe I have never heard of and is brilliant! However, I'm concerned that the protruding two or three inches (am I right or is there more?) of plumbing, if hit with much of a blow, would dislodge the entire apparatus from the frost-plug hole in the engine. For me this is a real issue. I use the tractor mostly for logging and, despite a skid plate and other protective armor that I have installed, I'm afraid that eventually a branch or something will hit the apparatus. I'd really appreciate any additional thoughts. Also, are you familiar with the type heater that sixdogs suggested?

/ Kubota Early Model L345DT - Frost Plug Block Heater will not work!!!! #10  

I did see your post - how hard or easy it is to rip it out depends on how well its put in, and what can happen to it in service.

When installing mine, I cleaned the tapered hole, applied permanent Loctite, and used a deep socket and long extension so I could align it well for driving it into the tapered hole with a lead hammer - it's really in there. It sticks out only a couple inches - and is somewhat shielded by the starter which sticks out more. The cord and plug are exposed - they're held in place by heavy zip ties - no snagging issues yet. My L3250 has a hose-connected heater but I haven't really compared it's function with the freeze-plug type.

Only a few owners have actually stuck a tree limb through their radiator from below, but anybody who has is likely to prefer a very brush-proof setup. The heater extension has worked for me - your results may vary, as they say. Take care, Dick B