Kubota F series

/ Kubota F series #491  
That is a nice looking mower!

I switched my F3060 and Grasshopper to Carlisle solid rubber gauge wheels couple of years ago and so far they have worked trouble free.

For axles I just cut pieces of water hard drill rod and drilled cotter pin holes at each end. Replacement bearings are easy to find if ever needed.

Gauge Wheel.jpgAxle.pngWater Hard Drill Rod.jpgBearings.png

Could use little larger diameter wheels due to pretty soft ground during our long wet season, but so many other projects .......

/ Kubota F series #492  
The all-in-one Kubota set were expensive , so I bought identical Carlisle solids on unwanted rims ( bearing size too small for most makes ) and swapped over the rims to the Kubota . That was half price !

/ Kubota F series #493  
Are these solid deck tires the same height & width as stock ?
I’m assuming the yokes wouldn’t accept a bigger tire idk

/ Kubota F series #494  
They are nowhere near the height & width of my ZD1511 front tires & their not big enough for my rough farm ground so I have to go much slower

Last edited:
   / Kubota F series #495  
Are these solid deck tires the same height & width as stock ?
I’m assuming the yokes wouldn’t accept a bigger tire idk

Yes in F3060 case they were the same diameter & width as originals and the yokes limit the wheel size. Bigger diameter gauge wheels are doable but would require couple of modifications.

They are nowhere near the height & width of my ZD1511 front tires & their not being enough for my rough farm ground so I have to go much slower

Yes they are smaller - in F models they are deck gauge wheels and carry only part of the deck weight wheras in ZD they are the mower front wheels and carry the full weight of the mower front.

IMG_5415.JPG

/ Kubota F series #496  
I have now mowed about 10 times with my new F-2690 with 72" rear discharge deck and I am VERY happy with it. It is faster than my Deere 955 with 72" midmount deck and the cut quality is so much better since I don't have heavy tractor wheels pushing down the grass before the mower blades. It was definitely a good purchase.

I am still getting used to the setup but I am really liking the treadle pedal now that I am used to it although it does require a little though when switching between the Deere 955 and the F-2690. A few weeks ago I was using the loader and rear cutter on the Deere for a few hours before mowing. I now have a good feel for the amount of swing with rear steer now so I don't feel like I need a rearview mirror to see how far the rear of the mower is going to swing during turns.

The rear discharge deck setup is very nice and I am still optimizing my mowing pattern after spending so many years with a side discharge deck. Every mowing time gets a little faster.

The only negative I have found with the rear discharge deck is at least with the F-2690 you do have to disconnect the PTO shaft instead of just properly positioning the U joints in order to tilt the deck up 90 degrees. Not a big deal since it is easy to remove/install but I spent several wasted minutes the first time trying to figure out how to tilt it up with the PTO shaft still connected. I suspect the layout/geometry of the rear discharge deck is just different enough from the side discharge that the shaft doesn't have quite enough clearance.

The low filler neck height of the Kubota is convenient but after buying the F-2690 I also bought a diesel transfer pump and nozzle and use the 80 gallon tank of my diesel generator as fuel storage for the mower and tractor. Filling is quick and easy for both and it keeps the fuel from sitting forever in the generator tank.

Rodger

/ Kubota F series #497  
The rear discharge deck setup is very nice and I am still optimizing my mowing pattern after spending so many years with a side discharge deck.
As long as the grass doesn't knee high and I don't have abut buttload of grass clippings that should be raked up, I don't care about my mowing pattern let alone optimizing it!😜

Great thing about the F mower is I can say that about my "lawn" when I mow with it, and when I mow the fields out back or shooting lane for the gun range, I don't care about the grass clippings!

/ Kubota F series #498  
.....snip........

The only negative I have found with the rear discharge deck is at least with the F-2690 you do have to disconnect the PTO shaft instead of just properly positioning the U joints in order to tilt the deck up 90 degrees. Not a big deal since it is easy to remove/install but I spent several wasted minutes the first time trying to figure out how to tilt it up with the PTO shaft still connected. I suspect the layout/geometry of the rear discharge deck is just different enough from the side discharge that the shaft doesn't have quite enough clearance.

......snip.......

Rodger

That is interesting - in F3060 with rear discharge deck it's not a problem at all to flip up the deck with the PTO shaft still connected.

Zoom in in the photo of my post #495 above and you can see it's still connected.

The operator manual is advising against doing it this way, probably due to resulting major damage if PTO is engaged accidentally while the deck is flipped up....

I agree, it is easy to disconnect the PTO shaft and that gives us a good chance to re-lube the spline.

Last edited:
   / Kubota F series #499  
Art,

I suspect the 90 series (and maybe just the 2690) is different enough that it doesn't tilt all the way with the PTO shaft connected. It will go most of the way but there isn't quite enough clearance to reach the point where the locking pin can be engaged.

I really like the ease of hitting all of the grease fittings on the Kubota, some of them on my Deere 955 are not convenient.

Art: On edit, it looks like the deck design changed a little since your model and that is probably why this one won't allow full tilt with the PTO shaft still attached. The gear box mount location appears to have moved slightly and the bracing/support for the deck is different. Photos of mine below.

Rodger

Attachments

• AC4I7560.jpg
    AC4I7560.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82
  • AC4I7564.jpg
    AC4I7564.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • F2690 mowing.jpg
    F2690 mowing.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
   / Kubota F series #500  
Hey guys, just gonna toss this out here, my 2011 F2680 with 72” RD deck has a quick intermittent vibrating rattle sound coming from the right blade spindle, precisely every 11 seconds at full throttle. Can’t see anything wrong with it. I’m stumped.