KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #1  

RoyKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
M7060HSC/18, RTV-X1100C
My M7060 has been having trouble with power loss. Diagnosed and fixed as contaminated fuel. The suction control valve had to be replace along with fuel filter change and water seperator.
It is acting up again..
Does anybody know what rating is on fuel filter, micron size.
Was reading that common rail systems with suction control valves need filters in the 2 to 10 micron because of tight tolerance.

Same fuel runs fine in my rtv 1100c which is not a common rail

suggestion for filter upgrade

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #2  
I will say that once I installed the Racor clone fuel polishing unit, my fuel issues vanished. Paid I think 27 bucks for the unit on Amazon and screwed on a 5 micron genuine Racor element that has a clear bottom bowl so you can see what (was) in the fuel. The Chinese clones are just like the genuine Racor but hundreds less. Fuel polishing units are SOP on marine diesels and lots on highway trucks and off road equipment too.

In fact, since I added them 2 years ago, I have not changed a fuel filter since.

I believe the nominal micron rating (pass rating for a early, mechanical injected Kubota engine is 10 microns and the common rail engines, 5. With a Racor element, you can go down to 2 microns if you want to.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #3  
Like 5030’s polishing filter suggestion. Like to up grade my tractors to this idea.

Contaminated fuel with black slime is hard to remedy. Takes several treatments of algaecide and filter changes to clear up. No fun. Changed where and how I buy diesel.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #4  
The polishing filters will strip out all the algae before it gets into the injection system and deposit it in the clear bowl on the bottom so you can see it (along with everything else). I have mine plumbed between the fuel outlet hose and the primary filter and I mounted them on the loader upright that hard bolts to the tractor frame in plain sight but out of harm's way.

Not that big actually. About 6" high and 4" in diameter and mount with 2 bolts. I drilled and tapped the upright and mounted them. The cast aluminum base unit comes with pre drilled holes as well as a rubber mounting pad.

I did add a secondary pipe plug to the top of the units so I can fill them with diesel when I change out the filters. The newer ones come with a primer pump built in, mine don't have that.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #5  
My M7060 has been having trouble with power loss. Diagnosed and fixed as contaminated fuel. The suction control valve had to be replace along with fuel filter change and water seperator.
It is acting up again..
Does anybody know what rating is on fuel filter, micron size.
Was reading that common rail systems with suction control valves need filters in the 2 to 10 micron because of tight tolerance.

Same fuel runs fine in my rtv 1100c which is not a common rail

suggestion for filter upgrade

I have never been able to determine with certainty what the micron rating was on any of my Kubota machines. Everyone has a guess, and some rely on the dealer's guess as fact.
My guess is that on my common rail Kubota, the water separator / filter (stainless mesh) is 100-150u, and the secondary spin on filter is 5-10u (likely 10u).
I opted to install a Racor 2u water separating filter in place of the OEM water separating filter. After 200 hours the 2u filter is at about the same 1.5 mm/hg of vacuum that is was when new. The Racor has a large capacity, and the large fuel bowl makes it easy to keep an eye on fuel condition.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #6  
Your install prompted me to do the same but I used an aftermarket mount with a Racor filter and bowl. Much less expensive and the mirror image of the Racor mount.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #7  
I have a bulk fuel tank with two filters on it. One is a water block and filter combo and the other is just a filter. Fuel goes from the bulk truck into my tank and then is double filtered into the tractor. In 30 years, I've never had a fuel or filter issue and never had excess water in the tractor water trap.

Finer filters will just plug more readily so the easy answer is to filter at the tank. All this works for me.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #8  
I have a bulk fuel tank with two filters on it. One is a water block and filter combo and the other is just a filter. Fuel goes from the bulk truck into my tank and then is double filtered into the tractor. In 30 years, I've never had a fuel or filter issue and never had excess water in the tractor water trap.

Finer filters will just plug more readily so the easy answer is to filter at the tank. All this works for me.

I definitely agree it's best to filter and separate water at the transfer tank. I use a 10u water blocking filter on my transfer tank. The 2u Racor on the tractor only sees the 10u filtered fuel, and so far it seems like it will stay in service for a reasonable period of time.
I've only had one fuel contamination event over the years, and it was a stupid mistake on my part.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #9  
I've only had one fuel contamination event over the years, and it was a stupid mistake on my part.
So have I and it cost me over a grand in parts and I did the grunt work myself. Why I keep my 500 gallon bulk tank pretty well full. Metal tanks all sweat inside and the condensation mixes with the diesel and causes grief.

/ KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS #10  
I dealt with a fuel system problem on an M7060, very low hours, fuel pressure to the high pressure pump runs at a negative under load, replacing the supply pump with one with more capacity cured the problem for a short time, the damage was already done. I now have an M5-091, problem fixed! Service bulletin was issued after the tractor was traded that involved replacing injectors. Check with your friendly dealer for service bulletins.