Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #1  

arthurb

Silver Member
Tractor
Toro WH 520XI
What is everyone's opinion on the Kubota G2160 and G2460G garden tractors? All I would be using one for is mowing 3 acres of flat open yard and basic snow removal from my 20'x80' flat driveway. The G2160 is a diesel engine and the G2460G is a gasoline engine. Both are 3 cylinder engines. What would the pros and cons be with the engines? I am also looking at a BX1500 for the same requirements of basic mowing and snow removal chores. I know the BX1500 is a 2 cylinder diesel, 4WD, RPTO and has front and rear hydralic attachment capabilities. These three tractors are in my general price range. I feel that I don't need to go any further with a BX1800 or BX2200. All and any suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. Keep up with this great website. It's very informative. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #2  
I went through this same issue last year and spent a few extra dollars for the bx-1500. You get shaft drive for the pto, 4 wheel drive on the tractor, 3 point hitch, hydrstatic steering, high & low range, and probably some stuff I forgot about. In short you get a small tractor instead of a lawnmower.

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #3  
I am not sure of current pricing, but I'll cast another vote for the BX 1500. I do think that tractor with a 54" MMM can be had for $8000 or so. I am sure that isn't much more than $1000 extra over the diesel G series. The BX just gives you so much more.
Will

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #4  
Arthur:
I used to have a 2160 and traded up to the BX2200. The differences are amazing...you would be further ahead to get the 1500,1800. or, 2200. With these three models you get a front or mid pto that drives the mower and the blower, high and low range 4 wheel drive as well as a differential lock. The 2160 uses a belt driven pto for the snow blower. It works ok but the hydraulic is superior.
I found with the 2160 that I needed chains for the plow and the snowblower. Two wheel drive just didn't cut it. The 2160 was a great tractor and did a great job on the lawn.
The 2200 with bar tires used in two wheel drive on a dry lawn doesn't tear things up.
Additionally, I have added a Front end loader which is a god send for these old shoulders when moving dirt around.
No matter what you get you'll find that the 'bota's really hold their value and hold up as well!
Happy shopping!

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #5  
I have a new bx1500 with a rear blade and loader and it is able to plow snow like it isn't even there, using a low rpm that the break in period requires. I'm not sure how any more horsepower that is found in the bx1830 or bx2230 would be of any use for snow. I have had to use 4wd and rarely the differential lock, but no chains or weights. You might want to check previous posts here or on another lawn and garden tractor site where someone sold their G2160 for a bx1500 and was amazed at the power difference, even though the horsepower was supposedly less for the bx1500. Don't underestimate the fun/usefulness of a loader.

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #6  
arthurb,

If it were me...

I would buy one of the BX tractors. Wait a minute! It was me last summer and I did buy a BX... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have looked at the Kubota garden tractors and for the price difference it just seems like you get so much more per dollar spent if you go with the BX.

In my case, I wanted the bx for grass cutting primarily, along with other chores. It is the little sister to my B2910. The BX is a very nice grass cutter but not as good as a zero turn mower from reports that have been posted here.

I liked the bx1800/2200 3 cylinder engine more than the twin of the 1500, and ended up buying the BX2200. I also like the 60" deck over the 54" of the 1500. As mentioned before, the ability to add a loader later [if not right away] to any of the BXs is also a very big plus!

And there are all the other features that make the BX a real tractor, even if it is pretty small physically.

Please be sure to let us know what you decide! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #7  
I spent the last 20 years plowing snow with Cub Cadet garder tractors, will say I will never go back!! Moving snow with the loader and 4 WD is so much easer. I have used the loader for about everything imagable. The only neg of the BX is weight, it will leave marks in wet grass. THis year we in the NE have had alot of rain so there are some ruts in the yard. Most people that have BX's are happy with them. I am one of them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors
Ken,
Right now I use a 1998 14 hp wheelhorse garden tractor. It has a 48" mower deck. I also pull a 42" 8hp craftsman finishing mower with an offset hitch behind my wheelhorse. This gives me a total of a 7' cut . I have to admit, it does a pretty good job. I have a 48" front snow blade and a 42" single stage snow blower. I have rear tire chains and 50lb. wheel weights on each rear wheel. It actually does a pretty good job. I can't complain about Toro's dependability and craftsmanship. These little tractors are built like a tank. My only problem that I've had is getting stuck in the mud and snow when I misjudge the tractor's limitations. That's why I'm looking to upgrade to a Kubota BX1500. I'd probably equiped it with a 54"mm, rear blade and possibly a rear pto snow blower. I'm getting tired of pulling my stuck wheelhorse out with my 4x4 pickup. Thanks for your input. If anyone out there would be interested in buying a used wheelhorse let me know.
arthurb

/ Kubota G2160 and G2460G Garden Tractors #9  
Yea, I might be interested in your wheelhorse. I need a tractor that size for dedicated mowing. I wouldn't be interested in the pull behind unit with it. I'm in SE Ohio. Where do you live and how much would you want for it?