Buying Advice Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320
Whew! and I was leaning more towards the B3300SU until reading all of your inputs. I understand, though. No matter the price--if you need a tool and don't buy it enough, you end up paying for it anyway and still not having it. Same goes for not getting enough tool. On the other hand, with portability & cost being factors, I don't have alot room to err on the side too much tractor. So, so I want to get one thats just right.

I suppose I can always get a 14k trailer, but the budget it tougher to work around.

If I'm looking at *more* tractor, as seems to be the experienced advice I'm getting, how about an L3800 vs. a GL3420? It's a bit smaller than the GL, but meatier than the B3300SU.

Again, I thank you all for your advice. I look forward to making my final decision and getting the tractor, if for nothing else more than to stop all this studying! I feel like I'm studying for a test on tractors (I'm licensed mechanical PE by trade, so tests are still all too present in my life).

Well, it's time to pay the dealer in Danville another visit and hopefully refine my decision!

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #12  
Yes, a 3800 will do more than a B3300, but it has a jerky 3PH that many find objectionable and really isn't comparable to a Grand L.

I really don't see a problem transporting a GL with your set up.

Agreed, buying too small even a little too small will either cost you either money, time, performance, satisfaction or all of the above.

When my father in law decided to get a cab tractor, against my advice, he bought a 70HP unit. Less than a month later, it was back at the dealers and a new 80HP was in the shed. Since they both looked alike, no one knew but he and I as there are just some things you don't want your wife to know. Naturally he traded a "used" tractor for a bigger, new tractor, so there was a significant cost.

My wife and I went looking at 32-35HP tractors and came home with a 50HP and I am thankful every time I use it.

As someone once said on here, what you describe "can" be done with a shovel and wheelbarrow, so yes a B3300SU or a 3800 will take care of all you describe, you just have to decide which is the best tool for your needs and finances.

I personally wouldn't want to do what you propose with less than a MX5100 and preferably a L5740 HSTC, but that's just me. Sometimes our 50HP is not enough and I go get the M8540 and there have even been a few times I would have loved to have had a John Deere 6000.

There is no "one" tractor for your needs, several different ones will meet your needs; only you can decide which one.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #13  
i read this whole thread an what im seeing is your jobs are way to big for the tractor your looking at.youll find out when you put that small tractor to work trying todo those jobs.i run an MX5100 HST tractor.an its done a lil of everything,from pulling a hay van loaded with 4 5 by 6 bales an 1 on the loader.to shredding in the woods,an pulling up thorn trees an bushes with the loader.so you better rethink your tractor choices.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #14  
Out of curiosity...where in NC are you? I'm outside of mebane myself.

Our place is in Summerfield, north of Greensboro. I have a small Kubota (BX) and a large one (L4610), plus a couple of antique Farmalls for memories and fun.

We've done just about all the things you've described at one time or another over the past 10 years with the L4610 and it has not let us down ever. Right now, we're clearing dozens of deadfall trees with a logging winch on it.

If you read the threads in this forum some, you'll conclude that opinions tilt maybe 8 or 10 to 1 in favor of having more capability than you initially think you'll need. Also, if you figure to keep your equipment for the long term, the additional cost of ownership is amortized over a long time.

The smaller Kubota's are very nice, but your work is simply better suited to a Grand L sized machine, at least.

Best of luck with your shopping.

i read this whole thread an what im seeing is your jobs are way to big for the tractor your looking at.youll find out when you put that small tractor to work trying todo those jobs.i run an MX5100 HST tractor.an its done a lil of everything,from pulling a hay van loaded with 4 5 by 6 bales an 1 on the loader.to shredding in the woods,an pulling up thorn trees an bushes with the loader.so you better rethink your tractor choices.

Understood...thanks. For me, over the long run, I'll have room for more than one machine, for different types of applications (one compact, one larger). My big decision right now is between the following scenarios:

1.) Get the smaller one now (such as B3300SU) and try to get the most out of it, with the plan to get something like an MX or larger several years from now.
PROS: Ultimately, I shouldn't need to trade anything in and, based on my experience with the smaller tractor can get a bigger one later that better suits larger tasks. Start small, err small. That's why I started with an old 641 2 years ago.
CONS: Going several years using a small tractor for big tasks. Still better than shovel, wheelbarrow, block&tackle, etc, but something to think about.

2.) Get a larger one, but not as large as in option 1. Something like an L3800, L4400, or GL series, and simply plan to "infill" later on for more specialty tasks, like in-woods brush-cutting, woods work in tight areas, and mowing.
PROS: Being able to do bigger work more efficiently from the get-go. The
CONS: I would probably not get something as big, or at least not make as wise a decision on the big tractor as I might by working my way up. (which is why I'm seeking the wisdom of others here on this forum!)

Thanks for all the replys...you all are really making me think about this!

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #16  
I suppose I can always get a 14k trailer, but the budget it tougher to work around.

QUOTE]

I would think you could stick with your 10k trailer as long as it is long enough. I have pulled the GL3240 on my car hauler trailer with 3,500 axles using my F250.

NewKubota6-26-11.jpg

I do need a bigger trailer, only did this when I bought it and to take it to the shop once. I would really like about a 20' 14k gooseneck. But way to much other stuff to buy at the moment.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #17  
Understood...thanks. For me, over the long run, I'll have room for more than one machine, for different types of applications (one compact, one larger). My big decision right now is between the following scenarios:

1.) Get the smaller one now (such as B3300SU) and try to get the most out of it, with the plan to get something like an MX or larger several years from now.
PROS: Ultimately, I shouldn't need to trade anything in and, based on my experience with the smaller tractor can get a bigger one later that better suits larger tasks. Start small, err small. That's why I started with an old 641 2 years ago.
CONS: Going several years using a small tractor for big tasks. Still better than shovel, wheelbarrow, block&tackle, etc, but something to think about.

2.) Get a larger one, but not as large as in option 1. Something like an L3800, L4400, or GL series, and simply plan to "infill" later on for more specialty tasks, like in-woods brush-cutting, woods work in tight areas, and mowing.
PROS: Being able to do bigger work more efficiently from the get-go. The
CONS: I would probably not get something as big, or at least not make as wise a decision on the big tractor as I might by working my way up. (which is why I'm seeking the wisdom of others here on this forum!)

Thanks for all the replys...you all are really making me think about this!

As far as work capacity goes, you aren't going to notice a huge difference between the B3300 and the L3800. There will be a big difference between either the B3300 or the L3800 and the Grand L.

If I were to only have one tractor I'd be looking at a Grand L, L4400, or MX4700. You should be able to haul any of those on a 10K trailer if it is long enough. With that said, on a farm with multiple sized tractors it is usually always one of the smaller ones that gets the most use. On my place the B3200 gets about double the hours on it than any of the larger tractors in a given year.

Just an Update:
I went yesterday to the dealership in Danville to testdrive these and look a bit closer.

Overall, all three felt good to drive--no problems from my end ergonomically. Obviously, the MX5100 felt significantly larger than the other two--but not too much so. The turning radius (w/o brake) was much noticably tighter on both the B3300SU & L3240 than the MX5100. I really didn't like the toe-heel reverse/forward pedal on the B3300SU, though, and preferred the gear-shift transmission w/ shuttle drive on the other two (GST, I believe it's called).

Anyone out there own an MX4700? How does it compare to the MX5011, which appears to basically be an MX4700 w/ turbocharger?

I've been putting together a value/price/performance matrix on the whole Kubota range (32 to 50HP), from B3300 up to MX5100--trying to quantify and assign importance values to everything from FEL & BH capacity, PTO-HP, 3PH capacity, ground clearance, etc. So far, it looks like the MX4700/5100 are up tied at the top for "value" (performance divided by cost). The L4400 comes in 2nd with the B3300SU in 3rd. It's not too surprising since there should always be an ecomomy of scale associated with machinery--i.e. size and capability rise faster than cost in many cases.

I still don't have price quotes on the GL3520 through GL5040, so no scores yet. Also, I did not score comfort or ergonomics, but I'll add those into the mix.

Anyone know which of the Grand L series comes close to the MX5100 in price? Also, how much less should the MX4700 cost than the MX5100?

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #19  
i didnt price the MX4700 but it should be $1000 to $2000 less than the mx5100.

/ Kubota GL3240 vs. Kubota B3300SU vs. Deere 3320 #20  
Lot of good discussion here that can be used by the OP and by any member that searchs for valuable information.

I started with a B2910, now have a L4400 and next time will buy an MX series.

I immediately overworked the B2910 even though it was a very capable little tractor. Bought the L4400 thinking that would end that problem. Nope. The task list grew larger than the tractor size upgrade. So now I have a three year old L4400 that I've outgrown. Sure wish I'd started bigger.

A suggestion for shopping the value of the different sized Kubotas would be to use their website. "Build your own" feature allows you to compare costs of different sized and different luxury levels of tractors. You pay a lot of money for the Grand L series. You get some luxury features that might make that cost effective, but maybe not. Build three or four different tractors, print the specifications sheets on them as well as the price quotes. Then spend some time in the recliner comparing what you are getting for the dollars spent. If you deduct 15% from the price quotes online you'll be in the ballpark for what it'll cost you at a dealer.

I had never looked at the MX series until I did the Build Your Own. Then I realized an MX is very cost effective horsepower and chassis size. What's sacrificed is some luxury items.

As for the trailer concerns, I've hauled my L4400 w/FEL many, many times on a 7K, 16ft cargo trailer before I bought a GN.