Kubota GR2100 Owners

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #1  

jmsmbry

I have recently bought a GR2100 and love it. I did have a question for those that may own this unit.

Does your hydrostatic transmission make a noticeable whining sound when moving forward.

Dealer said that was normal, but would like to know from other owners if you have a similar sound.

Thanks

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #3  
jmsmbry,
I purchased a GR2100 last year; the transmission does make a noticeable whine when moving forward. I may be wrong, I’m not a power train engineer, but if you check out the size of the transmission body it is compact, leaving little mass to dampen any gear sound.

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #4  
I bought a gr2100 with bagger attachment last week and so far am thrilled with it (June 2007). I have 1/2 acre to look after and I would like to hear from other owners who have put some hours on their machines as to how they are holding up? I was very impressed with the quality of the machine, but would appreciate hearing from others. Specifically, I would be interested in hearing about any issues with HST. Thanks

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #5  
There's no issues - every HST in the world makes that whining noise. The nature of the beast... You'll learn to deal with it, especially if that's the only problem you have with the machine. Congrats, and enjoy them!

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #6  
Yes my Gr2100 made what I thought to be excessive noise from the HST.

I say made because this weekend @208 hours the HST failed. No blade rotation and forward/rearward motion.

I posted in another section of the forum as GR2100 HST Failure.

I changed the Hyd oil twice and found particles and shavings on the strainer.

I am very disappointed with such a catastrophic failure at a little over 200 hours.

Tony

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #7  
Our GR2100 with 238 hours on it began to whine louder. It always had, but as it grew louder, one day the transmission blew out half of its fluid. My dealer tells me that it will be repaired free with a new larger transmission ("not a recall, but like it" he said). Of course, he gets $60 to pick it up and deliver it.

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #8  
When you get it back check blade tip speed with a digital tachometer. ( record it ) Put the mower in the grass wide open ( make sure your blades are sharp, balanced and the deck is leveled to spec.) and look for "barber chair" stumps left in the cut. If you experience this at a normal rate of speed in 5 inch height grass with the dial setting at 2.5 suspect the dealer has the PTO clutch engage lever set too loose and in time will burn out your new clutch disc and friction plates up again. To increase tension on the clutch ( proper engagement = correct blade speed ) increase the length of the factory spring setting from 2.68 inches engaged to 2.75 inches for a start. If the Deck is cutting good at this setting leave it along. ( a good level cut with no stumps left in one pass) When you get the initial 50 hours of break in on this transmission use only the factory filters and the Super UDT. Contrary to common sense, these synthetics lubricate better in metal to metal friction and thus keep the noise down you experienced on the old HST. Check the HST fluid ( dip stick under the seat ) before every cutting. Your new HST only hold .9 of one US Gallons of SUDT. A simple DRIP CAN BE DISASTEROUS for this small case sump. This Tractor, its concept and the mechanism are complex to the novoice. Seek help immediately if you experience problems with this tractor that you don't understand or could careless about but seems wrong to your common sense on how it should move and cut. Good Luck to you Red Oaks from Ob1.....

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #9  
I've got close to two seasons on mine (around 100 hrs) and have no problems with the hydros. The parking brake latching mechanism keeps breaking on is (won't stay down). We love this machine, and it's perfect for our property.

/ Kubota GR2100 Owners #10  
This brings up a good question for Ob1,our gr2100 guru. I'm experiencing the same problem that larrystrollo is haveing with the parking brake. I work on very steep terrain and once, just from my weight mounting the mower the brake disengaged on it's own. Now I carry a 4x4 chock for the wheels when I park on the slope. Often it takes several stabs at the foot lever to engage the parking brake. It also seems that the natural vibration from diesel engine over rides the locking mechanism. Is there an adjustment that can make the parking brake more positive?