Kubota GR2120

/ Kubota GR2120 #1  

Keuka

Bronze Member
I have a hill side lawn I've been mowing with an older John Deere 265 Garden Tractor. I mow about 2.5 acres around trees, gardens, etc. For the most part the old JD does a good job but there are some minor areas it won't go up when the grass is damp so I'm considering a 4 wheel or all wheel drive unit. The JD has been taken excellent care of but she's got 1600 hrs. on it and it's getting time for replacement. I also use my mower for towing a small garden type trailer and a Cyclone Rake during the fall. I will be considering adding a grass catcher system. I should add that I also own a Kubota L35 TLB for my heavy work. I might also be consider a BX model but since the main use (90%) will be mowing I'm thinking the GR2120 would be a better choice. I might also mention I mow in some tight turning areas as I own a small seasonal trailer court so the turning radius of the GR seems like a plus.

I've read that the GR series has some towing issues where it was reported it did not perform as expected. I've read where Kubota has made considerable changes in this model to address some prior short falls in the original design. I'm wondering if the towing issue might have been addressed in the 2017 and newer models. I'm stating 2017 because I've located what appears to be some good deals on left over 2017 & 2018 models. I do own a rugged dual axle dump type garden trailer, rated at like 600 lbs. The 265 JD will not pull it up hill when loaded but I'm thinking a 4 wheel drive GR2120 should.

I've looked at the newer JD garden tractors but boy, it seems they've really added a lot of flimsy plastic and cheapened them up. I have yet to look at the Kubota GR2120 but I thought I'd ask here if anyone might own the newer improved model and care to comment on how well it mows, tows, performs and it's general quality. When I visit a Kubota dealer I'd like to ask questions on any issues or short falls the model might have.

/ Kubota GR2120 #2  
I can't speak to the towing issues - so not of much help there :(

I can say that I love my GR2120. It replaced a Deere 425 that would often go down the hills in my lawn sideways/backward/doing slow donuts... The GR has completely removed the pucker factor.

It can also do very tight turns - darned near go sideways.

Z.

/ Kubota GR2120
Zoltanthegypsy,

It looks like you also own a BX model. I realize they are two different models but I was wondering how they compare in stability on hillside or sloped properties? If I were to consider a BX it would be with a belly mower but I have no idea if the two models quality of mowing is the same or if the GR is much better at mowing quality. My lawns aren't that bad, maybe 1 vertical on 3 to 4 horizontal in the steepest sections. If the steeper areas are damp or soft due to spring weather I just mow up and down rather than across.

The JD 265 in most cases will mow everything sideways and its' very stable but you have to use common sense. If the grass is damp I'm not about to push it and get myself in trouble. With that said, I'm thinking the all wheel drive Kubota, either BX or GR, would surely go places the 30 year old, 2 wheel drive JD doesn't. However, the JD is very stable when it comes to tipping on sloped grades with its' low center of gravity. Now my JD is the real version, not the box store knock off and it has the 17 HP Kawasaki commercial engine that has made me a true believer and disproved my original thoughts on their commercial rating.

How's the side hill stability of the BX vs the GR? I'm thinking the GR is likely the better mower, better stability and tighter turning radius. The BX probably is much ruggeder, decent mowing, better at towing but higher center of gravity and less stable on hill sides. The BX is also considerably more expensive and I already own the Kubota L35 TLB with the front loader, backhoe and landscape rake. I'm searching and asking questions before I go to dealer.

/ Kubota GR2120 #4  
Zoltanthegypsy,

It looks like you also own a BX model. I realize they are two different models but I was wondering how they compare in stability on hillside or sloped properties?
The BX probably is much ruggeder, decent mowing, better at towing but higher center of gravity and less stable on hill sides.

Yes to most of that. I personally wouldn't use the BX on my lawn. Weight, tire type, turning radius... Remember the GR is a "glide-steer" machine that declutches the inside rear wheel when turning. That works very well. The BX is full-on 4wd and would shred a lawn if turning in 4wd mode.

The GR is my lawn mower. The BX is a loader, backhoe, tiller, bush hog, box blade machine. Very different use cases. BX with a belly mower might be fine on ground that didn't require tight turns or 4wd but I can't speak to that. Others here will probably have some useful input.

Z.

/ Kubota GR2120
Thanks for the reply and I definitely understand what you're saying. My L 35 cuts in with the leading front tire, due to rear tire pushing, when turning in 4 wheel drive. I wasn't sure if the BX, like the GR, disengaged the rear tire when turning in all wheel or 4 wheel drive. Obviously I knew the L series didn't disengage but I wasn't sure on the BX being a suncompact. The 4 wheel drive aspect would defiantly tear up the lawn and negate my mowing consideration. Thanks for the feedback, it definitely helped in my consideration process. I'm glad to hear you like the GR, my lawn layout and multiple use kind of rules out a zero turn. I watched a demo video on the turn radius of the GR and it was impressive. I will look hard into one as my replacement. Again, thanks for the first hand information.

/ Kubota GR2120 #6  
My neighbor has a GR2120 and he loves it. I was astounded at how well it blew heavy deep snow with turf tires and no chains.

/ Kubota GR2120 #7  
I have a GR2120 and it is like a billy goat on damp slopes, and when turning it never tears up grass due to Glide Steer. I have not pulled heavy loads with it, just a small trailer for spraying and wood, and a spreader. It is a great snowblower, like airbiscuit said, no chains or weights. Philip.