Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #151  
I get where you're coming from with the Kubota L2501. I had one, too, but it wasn't strong enough for the challenging work I needed. It was an excellent basic tractor, but I needed something with a bit more muscle, especially for demanding jobs.

I ended up checking out kubota dealers and found the KUBOTA LX3520HSD. This one was a game-changer for me. It's got more power and does a better job with challenging tasks. It just feels more capable all around. And guess what? I got it for only USD 34,155. It was an excellent move because it works better for what I need.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #152  
Thank you!

Yes, the L2501 Turbo kit is available.

It’s not cheap but, it is less expensive and saves about $2K-$4K when comparing an L2501 w/ Turbo Kit to alternative L series L3901 / L3902 tractors.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Great job overall on developing, testing, and commercializing this turbo setup. Did you ever share a total package price (assuming self install), and/or are you willing to?

Now you just need to find a way to turbocharge the loader's lift capacity also, and the 2501 package will really hit the sweet spot. ;)

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #153  
Hi Mike,

Great job overall on developing, testing, and commercializing this turbo setup. Did you ever share a total package price (assuming self install), and/or are you willing to?

Now you just need to find a way to turbocharge the loader's lift capacity also, and the 2501 package will really hit the sweet spot. ;)
The limit on the loaders on economy Ls is the amount of rear ballast to keep the back end on the round, followed by the front axle, primarily the bearings. Bumping up loader capacity on the loader is just fount to break things & roll the machine.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
Hi Mike,

Thank you!

$2,899.99.

Although, I can’t help with the lift capacity unless you want to move up in tractor size ;)

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #156  
The limit on the loaders on economy Ls is the amount of rear ballast to keep the back end on the round, followed by the front axle, primarily the bearings. Bumping up loader capacity on the loader is just fount to break things & roll the machine.
I know, it was a joke.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #157  
Thank you!

$2,899.99.

Although, I can’t help with the lift capacity unless you want to move up in tractor size ;)

Mike
Thats really not bad at all. Nice work.

I'm not about to toss out my tractor just because it's naturally aspirated, but I really wish I had a 35-40 HP turbocharged engine instead. Something about the auditory, whistling feedback that corresponds to power delivery is just exciting in my brain. Conversely with my N/A motor, when I lay into a pile, or slam the forward pedal when heading uphill, my rpm's dip and the combustion noise becomes all clattery - not very pleasing at all. The good thing is I already have 35 hp to begin with, so I usually have plenty of power without going 100% load.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #158  
What a remarkable thread. 🏆

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #159  
I forgot about this thread... I had read it with curiosity last year. At my age, and with the sort of chores my L3400 is called on to accomplish, I couldn't justify trying to boost power. I enjoyed an L3130 for a period before realizing it was simply too large/heavy for our property, but I miss it whenever its much larger bucket would be useful. Still, for $3000 and some time spent, the turboed L2501 has its place. Great thread.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
^^^^^
Thank you!

Modifying and Turbocharging tractors certainly isn’t for everyone. But, for those that have taken the plunge and experienced the benefits of installing the Turbo Kit are very happy with their decision. We’ve received extremely positive feedback.

I’m looking forward to spring and getting some solid seat time in my Turbo’d L2501.

Mike