Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #131  
In time. We just need to borrow a CK2610 for a month and we can get a complete Turbo Kit fabricated for it. It'll happen.

Mike

Right around the time my warranty expires. đź‘Ť

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #132  
If there was an established turbo kit for the Kioti CK2610, I would have bought one of those instead and looked forward to modifying it!

I want to hear a turbo spool when my tractor pushes into a pile.

On my F150 (3.5L EcoBoost) I recently added a dual open filter intake so I could hear those turbos. pssssshhhhhhhhewwwww!

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
^^^^
I do love the sound of the Turbo spool of the system. Sounds like a mini-cummins, lol.

We have L2501 Turbo Kits operating in;
Washington
Oregon
California
New Mexico
Colorado
Canada
....and soon Louisiana (we're expecting this L2501 to out-perform mine since he's going for maximum power and the tractor already has an injection timing bump and RPM increase)

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #134  
Any concern with subjecting the tractor's frame to this significant increase in HP? I would think that dropping a much stronger engine into any tractor would strain the chassis and frame. No?

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #135  
Any concern with subjecting the tractor's frame to this significant increase in HP? I would think that dropping a much stronger engine into any tractor would strain the chassis and frame. No?

The L2501 shares the same frame as the other, higher horsepower, L-01 machines; it's no issue in this case.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #137  
Seeing how it's getting late, and I just discovered this thread, I skipped some later pages... so I am going to ask, is this a "kit" that one can buy for one's L2501? I'm set with my L3400 and closing in on 80 years old, so the L3400 is my last tractor, but I can see how lots of users might want to install such a kit! Very good work, by the way. I still enjoy seeing competent craftsmen work through projects and produce fine solutions.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

Not a concern. As mentioned above, the L2501 shares the same frame and PTO-train as the other Kubota standard L series tractors.

This modification is basically as simple as swapping the muffler, intake pipes and routing some oil lines to pre-existing locations. Most installations take less than 2 hours.

Mike

Seeing how it's getting late, and I just discovered this thread, I skipped some later pages... so I am going to ask, is this a "kit" that one can buy for one's L2501? I'm set with my L3400 and closing in on 80 years old, so the L3400 is my last tractor, but I can see how lots of users might want to install such a kit! Very good work, by the way. I still enjoy seeing competent craftsmen work through projects and produce fine solutions.

Thank you!

Yes, the L2501 Turbo kit is available.

It’s not cheap but, it is less expensive and saves about $2K-$4K when comparing an L2501 w/ Turbo Kit to alternative L series L3901 / L3902 tractors.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #140  
Great read. I have always wondered why TURBO's have not been more readily used/installed on many small engines, or at the very least, as an option. I use my B7300 to also power a PTO generator, but cannot get full power from the 10KW unit. If I could add a turbo to it and double the PTO HP, I would be ecstatic.

I have driven/operated thirteen manual transmission SAAB 4cyl gasoline ICE's for over 50 years, and unknown hundreds of thousand miles. The last six of those all had factory turbo engines. I even owned a 1989 Chrysler Corp Plymouth Voyager mini-van with a 4cyl Mitsubisihi turbo charged engine and 5spd manual transmission. The van was primarily used for summer vacation travel/towing. The power and fuel economy alone justified the turbo's. Yes! Most required higher octane fuel, but over the long run, it was less expensive. Everyone of those turbo vehicles gave me significantly higher than estimated average MPG. On six of the SAAB's, when I began to track mileage, I had a combined average of 30.9MPG over a combined 535K miles. I only had one turbo fail, and that was under warranty. With the exception of the mini-van, each of these vehicles were used as everyday commuter's, but also to haul trailers. Whenever the turbo power was needed, it kicked in and was very noticeable.

I have a question, and pardon if it is stupid. What is the purpose for the water seen in the first few seconds of the second YouTube video?