Kubota L2850 battery issues

/ Kubota L2850 battery issues #1  

Trtr0611

Tractor
Kubota L2850
I have an older L2850. The previous owner really did a number on rerouting/rewiring the electrical wiring. I’m getting ready to sell it so I replaced the battery and the cable going to the starter. When I hooked the cable to the post, the hot wire coming from the starter melted and the tractor started with the switch off. Luckily it was in neutral. After further inspection, the connector to the clutch safety from the solenoid had slipped off and the cable arced out on the tab. I know that’s why the tractor started but why did the other hot wire overheat? Is there a chance it may have damaged the alternator or any other electrical components? The wiring diagram shows only the alternator and a fusable link coming from that hot wire. I attached a couple of pics showing the wiring.

Attachments

• 4E73F0A6-D219-4D47-911A-F014841E6D81.jpeg
    4E73F0A6-D219-4D47-911A-F014841E6D81.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
   / Kubota L2850 battery issues #2  
Hi, and welcome to TBN. I've really not seen enough information to troubleshoot your tractor. As far as the alternator, it's probably fine as are the rest of the components. As for the other hot wire overheating I do not know what patches were done to the wiring or how they deviated from the original. The tractor must have been working for a period of time as it was. Clean up the wiring as best you can following the original wiring diagram routing the wires safely and give it a try. It's a thirty year old tractor so it's probably pretty basic. TractorData.com Kubota L2850 tractor information