Tractor Sizing Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming
I had a L3200 (pre-emissions L3301) & it did fine. Really it had more power than traction. It was very rare I could run out of power when plowing snow or doing dirt work.

PTP work is a different story. I often had to back off the go pedal a bit when mowing, tilling or blowing snow. Not problematically slow, but I couldn't run as fast as the seat suspension would let me.

I also road my maschine a lot as I do side work in the neighborhood. It slowed down on the hills a fair bit.

I upgraded from a 2,500lbs 32hp L3200 to a 40hp 5,000lbs L4060hstc (mostly for the cab). If you compare the HP per pound, I actually went backwards. I can definitely feel it mowing uphill. But I'm not disappointed in either machine & they were the right price for my budget at the time. Sure I want more power, but the price for that extra power was to much for my budget. I can do all the same work, just a bit slower.

Weight makes a tractor work, HP just defines how fast it will get the job done.

Also, the economy L machines are light, especially compared to their loader capacity. Make sure you get the rears loaded & more importantly have a heavy impliment on the back before you lift anything with the loader.
What size rototiller were you using on the L3200? And what kind of soil was it working in?

Does anyone know if these engines can be retuned to gain horsepower since they're all the same?

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming #13  
I opted to get the L3901 over the 3301. The main reason was PTO horsepower. I have a chipper that uses every bit of juice that the 39 can put out.

There doesn't seem to be anyone re-tuning most of the newer engines that are controlled by computers. Maybe at some point...

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming #14  
What size rototiller were you using on the L3200? And what kind of soil was it working in?
60 or 62" King Kutter in what is a lot of hard clay with a thin layer of topsoil. I tilled 2+ acres with it in less than a day. HST makes it easy. Just push on the go pedal until the RPMs drop then ease off a bit. Not sure if a gear machine is geared low enough. Even if it is you can't vary your ground speed based on varying soil conditions.

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming #15  
Does anyone know if these engines can be retuned to gain horsepower since they're all the same?
Anything can be done with enough money & warranty voiding. The L2501 is a mechanical machine with no emissions. The rest have electronic injection & computers so aren't likely to be easy.

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming #16  
Do you know how wide your track is from outside of one tire to outside of the other?

We have an old MTD that cuts grass just fine. Sounds like it makes sense to just stick with that.

I gained an additional 7 inches in width. Not sure of the exact outside measurement, you can just add 7 inches to what Kubota has listed on the spec. sheet. I'll also measure them for you tonight.
If you are buying new, just ask the dealer to widen them before you take delivery; it will make it much easier on you ;)

See the info and pics on this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...heel-adjustment-no.html?highlight=widen+tires

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming #17  
Lincoln Hill- I checked the measurement last night. It is approximately 63 inches outside measurement on the rears.

Lincoln Hill- I checked the measurement last night. It is approximately 63 inches outside measurement on the rears.
Sweet. Thank you. Seems like a 60" tiller would do the trick.

/ Kubota L3301 or L3901 and what size implements for 5 acres hillside farming #19  
Sweet. Thank you. Seems like a 60" tiller would do the trick.

Ideally, you want to try and have your rear tire width be less than the implement. See post #8
For example, my snow blower is 64 inches, which works perfectly with my current rear tire width.

Ideally, you want to try and have your rear tire width be less than the implement. See post #8
For example, my snow blower is 64 inches, which works perfectly with my current rear tire width.
We're focusing on the 2501 as the 3901 seems like super overkill for the work we'll be doing on only 5 acres. My concern is that the land pride 66" tillers will be too much for it.