Kubota L3400 HST in Sand

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #1  

puttering

Tractor
2007 Kubota 3400HST
Hello all. I have a Kubota L3400 HST 4x4 with R1 tires. I have 10 feet deep pure sand washed in the river side of my property for hundreds of yards. Anyone have experience in pure, loose sand with this setup or one like it? I need to get out there and move some around but don't have a way to get it out if it gets buried. Just want to know if it will do it.

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #2  
post pictures when you do it :)

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #3  
i know when truck go out on the beach they let air out of the tires but 10 ft deep? i think you should play around the edges for a while to get a feel for it

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #4  
I know a little about sugar sand out here in the Mojave. I think you will find out that your R1s will just sink down in loose sand because they are too skinny. R4s are much better due to being more of a flotation tire.

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #5  
Try it with half bucket load see how it goes.

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #6  
IF its wet it will be better, if dry it will be like 100 million ball bearings.... About 1940 when they were building ammunition bunkers on sand dunes at Fort Ord (now decommissioned) on Monterey Bay Ca. there was great debate on how to move sand and equipment with it being such a soft material, one contractor had solution, work it wet... They put up sprinkler system and issued equipment operators rain gear....

Dry sand has air between particles which make it unstable, wet sand has no air which makes it more stable, just beware of quick sand...

Dale

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #7  
Yep, what DL Meisen commented. That is common knowledge in the military. We could drive on the beaches with wheeled vehicles when the sand was moist and would get buried trying to drive across the same area when the sand was dry.

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand
I'll post a video since there is not a single one to be found anywhere on the internet!

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand
Everybody else up and down the river is using tracked skid loaders, there is not a single wheeled vehicle out there. The tracked equipment runs up and down it with ease. I was just trying to keep from renting one.

/ Kubota L3400 HST in Sand #10  
Everybody else up and down the river is using tracked skid loaders, there is not a single wheeled vehicle out there. The tracked equipment runs up and down it with ease. I was just trying to keep from renting one.
Well then, I think you have your answer at to what you really should use.

I think a rental tracked machine may be cheaper in the long run. It would definitely be more efficient and no chance of burying you tractor without a readily available means of extricating it and having to hire someone to get you out.